Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuration without changing SD cards
I asked devialet a couple time why they do not allow configuration without changing SD cards? We live in the " internet of all thing" and even my 100€ internet radio is configurable via an web browser.

However if they would like to retain the flexibility of retaining the configuration at their premises - e.g. because they would like to dynamically add my magico V2 to SAM, it could be automatically downloaded to my device? Same for updates .
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
I would really like to be able to configure the unit via web browser too, but they chose SD cards so I guess that's just the way it will be with the current range of devices. They'd have to embed a web server in the unit to achieve web-based config which I'm sure is probably do-able. Linn do it and use FPGAs like Devialet do (if that's what something like a lightweight web server would run on).
Speaking as an embedded software engineer, I can't immediately see a technical reason why the DSP itself couldn't run a lightweight web server -- assuming there's enough memory. I agree it would be a more convenient way to configure the unit.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Doesn't the devialet has some sort of embedded cpu besides the DSP?
They do Not Even have to Run a Web server on the device. A simple http download of the configuration out of the devialet.com web service would do the job just fine,
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
Yes this is another very strange "feature" or lack thereof of the Devialet.

My guess is they wanted to make it "fool proof" such that even if the data is corrupt in the SD card the user can generate another SD card external from the Devialet. But most programmable machines like the dCS DACs have various safefy schemes, including "make before break", back up existing configuration or default to factory if anything goes wrong.

There are many many ways to fool proof changes in the IT world.