Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conjecture: Phantom Bass drivers can be improved...:)
A conjecture. 

Listening to the Phantoms, the bass simply does not seem to match up in resolution and articulation as my simple dual 8" sealed bipole (two speakers in phase and pointing in opposite direction like the Phantoms) subwoofers. I have two of them. 

Curved drivers like the Phantom's bass aid in dispersion. However, low frequency already disperses well.  I don't think they need the shape to do it. I think the Phantom's bass drivers need more purchase or grip on the air molecules.  I conjecture that if they changed the Phantom bass drivers to a shape that is more traditional, it will give better resolution, power and sense of speed to the bass notes.  More 'sharp edges' to the notes.   I think the reason that most woofers are curved inwards is not just due to physical limitations of a larger woofer, but due to audio impact. Perhaps this can take the Phantom to +/- 2 db beyond 82db.  The bass can't come close to the 105db rating unfortunately - at least that's my perception. 

If true, and I may be way off base here, the problem with this is of course, it will 'ruin' the Phantom's spherical shape which is part of its visual cachet.  If that is true, the then question becomes do we favor form or function when the two conflict?  Form doesn't always follow function.  

I take function....Smile

Anyone with deep pocket cut out the bass driver spherical part, reverse it, and glue it back on?  You can shoot a video of this and post on youtube...Smile 

Again, a conjecture.  And yes, I'm really taking this very far out!
Maybe we should ask iFixit to do a teardown ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
LOL...perhaps with a $250 or $500 device. But $1990? Not sure about that.
(14-Dec-2015, 04:02)MountainGuy Wrote: LOL...perhaps with a $250 or $500 device. But $1990?  Not sure about that.
 Im quite sure  the audio engineers at Devialet have tried many woofer options before  arriving at the design we now have .
  I have had many full range hi end speakers  including a REL Studio subwoofer at one point . 
  The bass from the 2 Phantom Silvers I have here is Fantastic.
You can cut up and glue your Phantom woofers if you like, post a vid
 just my opinionCool
Yes, @MountainGuy, are you sure it isn't your room or where/how you have positioned the phantoms. It's quite a bit of low end energy and without treatment some rooms are not going to respond well to that. Have you tried some bass traps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sleach, great point. The room is the 800 lbs gorilla when it comes to audio in my opinion. However, my room works beautifully with a pair of dual 8" sealed subs. And placement is very similar though I've already shifted the phantoms around. I will be trying DIRAC in time and then can EQ it to my heart's content. Thanks.