Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting Gold Phantom to an amp and/or sub
(06-Sep-2020, 15:59)ogs Wrote: REW does not have direct integration with Roon, but it's easy enough to copy EQ values manually.
You do not need to manually copy. You can export the EQ as convolution filters. See end of this guide
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide...roon/23800
(06-Sep-2020, 12:57)ogs Wrote: If bass is too strong the placement of the speaker in the room is probably part of the problem. If you cannot move the speaker due to furnishing your only option is using an equaliser based on measurements. Again a MiniDSP SHD would help you here. REW (Room Eq Wizard) with a UMIK-1 is good for measurements. I believe REW can export EQ directly to a MiniDSP unit.
Adding a subwoofer would most likely complicate more than solve things.

I am leaning towards an equaliser also, but from what I see in the pictures, the MiniDSP SHD does not have any optic outputs (hope I'm saying this right), only digital and analog, whereas the phantoms have optic inputs.
Living Room - 2x Devialet Gold Phantom(ethernet) -> (optical) 1x BlueSound Node 2i (ethernet) + Remote
(06-Sep-2020, 15:59)ogs Wrote:
(06-Sep-2020, 15:22)ragwo Wrote: Roon and a Raspberry Pi with a HAT is also a good solution.

Absolutely! Especially if the OP is already using Roon. Roon's parametric equaliser is very good. REW does not have direct integration with Roon, but it's easy enough to copy EQ values manually.

I am not using Roon. To be honest, this is the first time I'm hearing about Roon and Raspberry (aka the HiFiBerry). I'm playing music from my mac (over the wifi, through sporitfy) and from the phone, through devialet app + spotify
Living Room - 2x Devialet Gold Phantom(ethernet) -> (optical) 1x BlueSound Node 2i (ethernet) + Remote
@bogdan.filipovici there is another thing you can try. When DOS2 was first announced, an EQ was on the roadmap but it has not been delivered. Perhaps contact Devialet Support and see if you can get an early release of the EQ?
(07-Sep-2020, 07:32)Snoopy8 Wrote: @bogdan.filipovici there is another thing you can try. When DOS2 was first announced, an EQ was on the roadmap but it has not been delivered. Perhaps contact Devialet Support and see if you can get an early release of the EQ?

Sweet! I will do that! Thank you!
(07-Sep-2020, 07:17)bogdan.filipovici Wrote:
(06-Sep-2020, 12:57)ogs Wrote: If bass is too strong the placement of the speaker in the room is probably part of the problem. If you cannot move the speaker due to furnishing your only option is using an equaliser based on measurements. Again a MiniDSP SHD would help you here. REW (Room Eq Wizard) with a UMIK-1 is good for measurements. I believe REW can export EQ directly to a MiniDSP unit.

I am leaning towards an equaliser also, but from what I see in the pictures, the MiniDSP SHD does not have any optic outputs (hope I'm saying this right), only digital and analog, whereas the phantoms have optic inputs.

That is correct. The SHD does not have optical outputs, but a coax to toslink converter will do the job here. I believe @ragwo is using one with his Phantoms, a Cypress DTC-2. https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...9#pid95359
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(07-Sep-2020, 08:04)ogs Wrote:
(07-Sep-2020, 07:17)bogdan.filipovici Wrote:

That is correct. The SHD does not have optical outputs, but a coax to toslink converter will do the job here. I believe @ragwo is using one with his Phantoms, a Cypress DTC-2. https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...9#pid95359

So basically, all I need to do is connect my mac to that MiniDSP SHD, connect the minidsp to either a Cypress DTC-2 or to a Coaxial to TOSLINK Optical Digital Audio Converter (TAA Compliant), and then simply connect the converter to the phantom through an optic cable. Have I got it right? And if so, which port from the minidsp do I use to connect to the converter?
(07-Sep-2020, 08:23)bogdan.filipovici Wrote: So basically, all I need to do is connect my mac to that MiniDSP SHD, connect the minidsp to either a Cypress DTC-2 or to a Coaxial to TOSLINK Optical Digital Audio Converter (TAA Compliant), and then simply connect the converter to the phantom through an optic cable. Have I got it right? And if so, which port from the minidsp do I use to connect to the converter?

Yes, that should work. You would use the RCA SPDIF OUT (1&2) for this. Note that the SHD Studio has the same signal processing as the SHD only without DA converters. For Phantoms you only need the digital-only version. If you decide you want a subwoofer later, I think you can find subs with digital inputs. Or you can easily find a cheap-ish standalone DA converter if the subwoofer only has analog inputs
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(07-Sep-2020, 09:42)ogs Wrote:
(07-Sep-2020, 08:23)bogdan.filipovici Wrote: So basically, all I need to do is connect my mac to that MiniDSP SHD, connect the minidsp to either a Cypress DTC-2 or to a Coaxial to TOSLINK Optical Digital Audio Converter (TAA Compliant), and then simply connect the converter to the phantom through an optic cable. Have I got it right? And if so, which port from the minidsp do I use to connect to the converter?

Yes, that should work. You would use the RCA SPDIF OUT (1&2) for this. Note that the SHD Studio has the same signal processing as the SHD only without DA converters. For Phantoms you only need the digital-only version. If you decide you want a subwoofer later, I think you can find subs with digital inputs. Or you can easily find a cheap-ish standalone DA converter if the subwoofer only has analog inputs

Alrighty! Thank you so much for clearing this up for me! Big Grin