Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting Naim Unitiserve to Devialet
Hi guys,

Reading on both this and the naim forum I thought there was universal agreement that network connection via ethernet was optimal for sound quality. 

So i went out to get 2 x audioquest cinnamon ethernet cables.  

Unfortunately for me I cannot produce any sound!  I'm connecting the Unitiserve into a router, and likewise Devialet into the same router.  I select Ethernet input on my Devialet.  But alas no signal comes thru.  

I'm quite dumb with this obviously.  Is the devialet not upnp.  And if it is not, how are u guys connecting via ethernet?

Would really appreciate some quick response as i am itching for the sound to come thru!

Thanks
Devailet doesn't support uPnP at the moment. You'll need AIR on PC or Mac to use the ethernet input and of course enable the input in the configurator. Read up on the "white noise issue" though, no guarantees you won't suffer from it.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks Antoine.

The unitiserve is a computer but it is a black box literally. Cannot load Air on it. But if i changed the configuration would the ethernet input open up for the unitiserve? Will read white noise thread.
No, it's not possible to use the Naim. You'll need something that runs Windows or OS X as those are the only two OS's that support AIR (or better said that AIR/Devialet supports).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Connect the Unitiserve directly to the Devialet with an S/PDIF (coax) or Toslink cable.

Connect the Unitiserve to your router and away you go. You control the Unitiserve with the Naim n-Serve app as usual.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I was afraid of that.

Yes I was connecting via digital coaxial. Just wanted to try alternative of ethernet as I read here and elsewhere that it could b superior.

On the other hand, playing even low rez files via iPhone sounds really nice with the 2nd ethernet cable (which I assume is being fed to devialet from router via the ethernet). Very good bass and smooth.

Will devialet b UPnP in the future? Seems a pity it isn't?
(01-Jul-2015, 17:40)kw1373 Wrote: I was afraid of that.  

Yes I was connecting via digital coaxial.  Just wanted to try alternative of ethernet as I read here and elsewhere that it could b superior.  

On the other hand, playing even low rez files via iPhone sounds really nice with the 2nd ethernet cable (which I assume is being fed to devialet from router via the ethernet).  Very good bass and smooth.  

Will devialet b UPnP in the future?  Seems a pity it isn't?

There's definitely no agreement that Ethernet is best in fact many of he most outspoken people on the Naim forum use Mac Mini linked to a USB DAC using local storage.

Devialet are rumoured to be working on UPnP support and there has been speculation that it will be available by he end of this year.

I use AIR wifi nearly 100% of the time now and it works perfectly for me. I'm not really interested in UPnP support - been there done that with Naim. It works well but I don't want multiple Ethernet cables/switches/NAS in my music system. My next move is more likely to be to USB or Aes/xbu and no NAS.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Hi Phil,

I understand there's no consensus and should not hv stated there is any universal agreement.  

There was a useful poll taken here with fragmented results but with ethernet clearly ahead of others.  Plus also strong threads and technical justification on naim forum (which I confess I don't understand most of, but the short of it is that ethernet is 2-way and allows correction in case signal sent erroneous).  

Personally don't lean one or the other way.  Part curious and inspired by some of those discussions to try out ethernet as potentially a way to lift performance.  

Looks like unitiserve has no usb output (but staggering 4 usb inputs).  So I can't exchange one of the Ethernet cables for a USB! ?
(01-Jul-2015, 18:10)PhilP Wrote:
(01-Jul-2015, 17:40)kw1373 Wrote: I was afraid of that.  

Yes I was connecting via digital coaxial.  Just wanted to try alternative of ethernet as I read here and elsewhere that it could b superior.  

On the other hand, playing even low rez files via iPhone sounds really nice with the 2nd ethernet cable (which I assume is being fed to devialet from router via the ethernet).  Very good bass and smooth.  

Will devialet b UPnP in the future?  Seems a pity it isn't?

There's definitely no agreement that Ethernet is best in fact many of he most outspoken people on the Naim forum use Mac Mini linked to a USB DAC using local storage.

Devialet are rumoured to be working on UPnP support and there has been speculation that it will be available by he end of this year.

I use AIR wifi nearly 100% of the time now and it works perfectly for me. I'm not really interested in UPnP support - been there done that with Naim. It works well but I don't want multiple Ethernet cables/switches/NAS in my music system. My next move is more likely to be to USB or Aes/xbu and no NAS.
It would be GREAT if UPnP is native to my D120.  I don't want to deal with an additional streamer, then whatever digital connection into the D. Just too complicated. fingers-crossed that UPnP will be available.