Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactor 600 vs 900
Hi @NicolasLrd did you decide what to do? Double your wife's gift and get two 600 or add a little and get a single 900? A very nice gift from your wife!!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Jan-2021, 21:13)edgecrush3r Wrote: Hi @john2910 and @ogs,

Much thanks for the info on this. Now i totally understand why i got much more mid/clarity when angling the Reactors somewhat less than 45 degrees. Some of the mid sound is definitely generated from bass ports, and positioning helps greatly improving the sounds. Also now i moved the Reactors more than 50cm from the wall, the lows and mids are also more clean. In some songs i can still notice it, but positioning really made a difference.

Would the 900 and Classic also have more bass if the volume is lower? Still try to understand how wattage would affect the audio behaviour.

Thanks,
Tony

Nice to know that placement has such a big effect.
For bass at lower sound levels I really do not know. I've read somewhere that Reactors actually are quite good at low volumes. There should be quite a few DC members that own a pair and could tell us...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8

In a small room at moderate volume the reactor 600 and 900 should sound the same since the acoustic components are identical.  It is not true that they lack midrange. When measured in anechoic chambers, they are linear.  You should place them away from the wall and if on a shelf, they should be placed very near the edge of the shelf to sound good.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Hi @eniriop
Nice! Thanks for this information and it definitely confirms that placement is an important factor in my living room.
Placed at the very edge of my cabinet and putting it at a bit more angle than i am used to, i am getting excellent sound.

Verry interested to know if you find your Gold Phantoms, much more warmer sounding than the Reactors. Or if the audio profile is similar cross all Devialets.
(20-Jan-2021, 16:00)edgecrush3r Wrote: Hi @eniriop
Nice! Thanks for this information and it definitely confirms that placement is an important factor in my living room.
Placed at the very edge of my cabinet and putting it at a bit more angle than i am used to, i am getting excellent sound.

Verry interested to know if you find your Gold Phantoms, much more warmer sounding than the Reactors. Or if the audio profile is similar cross all Devialets.

To my hear they sound quite similar at moderate volume in a small room.  Of course in a very large room and at a high volume levels the Gold Phantom will sound slightly better. The reactors sound quite "warm" since they have a surprisingly good low end, especially in a small room. I like them both and listen to the gold in the living room and to the reactors on the terrace or in the bedroom.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(17-Jan-2021, 21:56)ogs Wrote: Hi @NicolasLrd  did you decide what to do? Double your wife's gift and get two 600 or add a little and get a single 900? A very nice gift from your wife!!

Finally I kept the 600, and I will buy another 600 later. I live in Paris and I move soon in another city, so I would buy the other 600 after. 
In my future home, I would to place my 600 in the corner of my living room, on a gecko. I don’t really have the choice, but won’t that deteriorate the sound quality ?
The living room area is 26 square meters, and in the future I would place a second 600 in the other corner.
Placing the 600 in a corner will probably give you more bass than you need. A Gecko is a good way to mount the speaker. When you've moved and buy the second 600, try to place the pair as symmetrical as possible. If you use Roon it's parametric equaliser is a good (and somewhat advanced) tool you can use to adjust bass response. Roon also does convolution. If you are up to it, room correction is an even better option. Thierry at HAF https://www.homeaudiofidelity.com/ could help you with this.. Good luck!
Devialetless!
(23-Jan-2021, 11:57)NicolasLrd Wrote:
(17-Jan-2021, 21:56)ogs Wrote: Hi @NicolasLrd  did you decide what to do? Double your wife's gift and get two 600 or add a little and get a single 900? A very nice gift from your wife!!

Finally I kept the 600, and I will buy another 600 later. I live in Paris and I move soon in another city, so I would buy the other 600 after. 
In my future home, I would to place my 600 in the corner of my living room, on a gecko. I don’t really have the choice, but won’t that deteriorate the sound quality ?
The living room area is 26 square meters, and in the future I would place a second 600 in the other corner.

Never a good idea to place a speaker in a corner. You'll get too much bass.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac