Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting an external DAC to my Devialet 200
I am a recent owner of a Devialet 200 and love it, but I am curious about comparing the DAC in it to my former DAC, the Lampizator Big Six. The problem is, I am having trouble getting sound when I try to connect the Lampizator to the Devialet, so I am guessing that I have it configured or connected improperly.

I am using an Aurender X100 into the Lampizator via a USB cable, and then the Lampizator into the Line 1 inputs with interconnects from the Lampizator to the Devialet. When I click to the Line 1 course with the remote, I see "XLR" in the window, but there is no sound. If I connect the USB cable from the Aurender to the Devialet, wouldn't I be getting the Devialet DAC instead of the Lampizator?

Sorry for being so dense, but I really would like to compare and contrast the sounds of these two DACs and see how the Big Six sounds using the Devialet as an amp.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong.
Are you sure you're selecting the Line 1 inputs? It seems odd that the display would show "XLR" - that suggests the AES/EBU connector. What are the Line 1 (RCA) inputs called in your configuration?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Apr-2015, 21:36)thumb5 Wrote: Are you sure you're selecting the Line 1 inputs?  It seems odd that the display would show "XLR" - that suggests the AES/EBU connector.  What are the Line 1 (RCA) inputs called in your configuration?

Yes, it seems odd to me as well. When I select the Line 1 inputs in the configurator, I am given three options: phono input, line input, and digital (SPDIF X 2). I am selecting the line input option, but then when I click through my options with the remote once the configuration options have been uploaded, it shows "XLR" where the Line 1 should be.

Thanks for your response.
(04-Apr-2015, 21:58)jccox Wrote:
(04-Apr-2015, 21:36)thumb5 Wrote: Are you sure you're selecting the Line 1 inputs?  It seems odd that the display would show "XLR" - that suggests the AES/EBU connector.  What are the Line 1 (RCA) inputs called in your configuration?

Yes, it seems odd to me as well. When I select the Line 1 inputs in the configurator, I am given three options: phono input, line input, and digital (SPDIF X 2). I am selecting the line input option, but then when I click through my options with the remote once the configuration options have been uploaded, it shows "XLR" where the Line 1 should be.

Thanks for your response.

To further complicate matters, it appears that the XLR input is actually the AES input, which I cannot seem to turn off in the configurator (and I cannot seem to turn on the Line 1 input). They show as being "on" and "off" in the configurator, but when I save the settings on the SB card and put the card back in the unit, the XLR input is still active and the Line 1 input is not. Very odd.

If anyone has any ideas for troubleshooting, I would greatly appreciate it.
Strange. Sounds a bit like a(nother) configurator bug. It should be possible to disable the AES/EBU input by clicking on the icon of the connector in the configurator - not entirely intuitive, I agree. The icon should then go black rather than dark grey, and the drop-down menu icon above it should be greyed out rather than orange. I guess that's what you're doing when you say it shows as "on" and "off" in the configurator? In which case I am at a loss to understand what's happening.

May be worth starting again from a brand new, clean configuration?

If all else fails, I think you should probably contact Devialet and let them add it to their list of things to fix...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Just to try if your connection actually works you can start up the Devialet without an SD card. This way you should have all the connections in use. Once you have confirmed it works, have another go at configuring. Just delete the old config from your SD card (put it somewhere on your computer first if you want to keep it) and start all over. Your not the first person to have had trouble with something coming back over and over again. Starting afresh is the way to go.

Good luck!

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Apr-2015, 12:03)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Just to try if your connection actually works you can start up the Devialet without an SD card. This way you should have all the connections in use. Once you have confirmed it works, have another go at configuring. Just delete the old config from your SD card (put it somewhere on your computer first if you want to keep it) and start all over. Your not the first person to have had trouble with something coming back over and over again. Starting afresh is the way to go.

Good luck!

Pim

Excellent suggestion, Pim! I did as you suggested and, using the default settings, I did manage to get the DAC working on the Line 1 input. Now if I can find a way to configure everything else (especially the phono input) and keep the Line 1 input working, I will be in business. I will report back once I try the configurator again.

Thanks so much for the help!
jccox,

Even if you get the Devialet configured the way you want I do not think you will have a valid comparison.  Maybe I do not understand what you are trying to do.  But if you use an external DAC and then output an analog signal into the Devialet, the Devialet will convert it back to digital for processing and then analog to output. Now you won't just be using the Devialet DAC but the analog to digital conversion function as well.

There are too many variables to draw a valid conclusion. Unless I am totally missing your intention. Huh
(05-Apr-2015, 17:00)bentrider Wrote: jccox,

Even if you get the Devialet configured the way you want I do not think you will have a valid comparison.  Maybe I do not understand what you are trying to do.  But if you use an external DAC and then output an analog signal into the Devialet, the Devialet will convert it back to digital for processing and then analog to output. Now you won't just be using the Devialet DAC but the analog to digital conversion function as well.

There are too many variables to draw a valid conclusion. Unless I am totally missing your intention. Huh

bentrider,

You may be right, though I have read posts by other Devialet owners who have tried external DACs and heard a difference. What I am trying to do is compare the sound of the Lampizator DAC (using the Devialet as an amplifier) with the Devialet's internal DAC. Is there some other way I should connect the DAC to the Devialet than using the Line 1 input?

Don't get me wrong. I really do like the Devialet sound and will probably end up selling the Lampizator, but I would like to compare them if possible.
jccox,

Yes, they may have heard a difference but it can't be attributed to the external DAC alone. I am just learning but I do not see any other way than the way you are currently doing. Please post your results.  Good luck.