Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting an external DAC to my Devialet 200
(05-Apr-2015, 17:34)jccox Wrote:
(05-Apr-2015, 17:00)bentrider Wrote: jccox,

Even if you get the Devialet configured the way you want I do not think you will have a valid comparison.  Maybe I do not understand what you are trying to do.  But if you use an external DAC and then output an analog signal into the Devialet, the Devialet will convert it back to digital for processing and then analog to output. Now you won't just be using the Devialet DAC but the analog to digital conversion function as well.

There are too many variables to draw a valid conclusion. Unless I am totally missing your intention. Huh

bentrider,

You may be right, though I have read posts by other Devialet owners who have tried external DACs and heard a difference. What I am trying to do is compare the sound of the Lampizator DAC (using the Devialet as an amplifier) with the Devialet's internal DAC. Is there some other way I should connect the DAC to the Devialet than using the Line 1 input?

Don't get me wrong. I really do like the Devialet sound and will probably end up selling the Lampizator, but I would like to compare them if possible.

Yes, I did hear some difference when I connected my iFi iTube's RCA out to Line in of D200. But, I eventually take iTube out as the purpose of using Devialet is to have lesser components. And, bentrider was right, Devialet will convert all signals using its ADC and reconvert to digital using its DAC. So, even if sounds may have a difference but I can't say how much "original" sound has been changed after so much conversion processes.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(05-Apr-2015, 18:42)bentrider Wrote: jccox,

Yes, they may have heard a difference but it can't be attributed to the external DAC alone. I am just learning but I do not see any other way than the way you are currently doing. Please post your results.  Good luck.

In my experience a good 24/96 ADC/DAC is completely transparent.
I know this is not believed by a whole tranche of extremist audiophiles, but I have listened myself and I have yet to hear of anybody who has actually done this who does not have the same experience.

On that basis I believe that the characteristic colour of the Lampi will be perfectly reproduced by the Devialet.
I have done this myself with two DACs with tailored responses and their characteristic sound came through fine.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi jccox

Have you had a chance to compare your Lampizator Big 6 through the Devialet line inputs against a digital source through one of the Devs digital inputs?

I would be interested in your thoughts.  I have done a similar comparison using my APL NWO-Master and found the S/PDIF digital input was substantially more transparent than the NWO's analog outputs.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(11-May-2015, 03:31)MusicFirst Wrote: Hi jccox

Have you had a chance to compare your Lampizator Big 6 through the Devialet line inputs against a digital source through one of the Devs digital inputs?

I would be interested in your thoughts.  I have done a similar comparison using my APL NWO-Master and found the S/PDIF digital input was substantially more transparent than the NWO's analog outputs.

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Sorry for my tardy response. In short, no, I have not tried that comparison, but I will have some time this summer to conduct such a test. For now, I am still getting a handle on the differences between the Big 6 and the Devialet's DAC. I think I actually prefer the Lampi, but I need more time to reach a firm conclusion about the extent of the differences as I perceive them.

I will follow up if you are still interested.

Thanks,
Chris
(25-May-2015, 15:35)jccox Wrote:
(11-May-2015, 03:31)MusicFirst Wrote: Hi jccox

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Sorry for my tardy response. In short, no, I have not tried that comparison, but I will have some time this summer to conduct such a test. For now, I am still getting a handle on the differences between the Big 6 and the Devialet's DAC. I think I actually prefer the Lampi, but I need more time to reach a firm conclusion about the extent of the differences as I perceive them.

I will follow up if you are still interested.

Thanks,
Chris

Absolutely!  Let us know what you conclude.

Thanks
Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Well, it has taken a while, but I have done some intensive listening, comparing the Lampizator Big Six DAC to the Devialet, and I have concluded that I prefer the Lampizator. Believe me, I was pulling for the Devialet, as I would love nothing more than to pocket the money from selling the Big Six, but I just cannot do it.

First, let me say this, just to be clear. I love my Devialet and have no plans to sell it. I especially like the phono stage, and I've had some great ones, including a VAC Renaissance, a Doshi Alaap, and a Herron VTPH-2, just to name a few. I think the Devialet--with the right cabling--can hold its own against anything I've heard.

As for the DAC, it is also very, very good, one of the cleanest, purest, most dynamic DACs I've heard. But the Lampizator Big Six is simply fuller and more dimensional, with more "in the room" presence and that breath of life that is just so difficult to articulate. Some might say that the Devialet is more transparent and the Big Six, by contrast, colored. But I do not. The Devialet has a wide, very nicely defined sound stage, but the Lampizator's stage is both wide and deep, and not in any artificial way. Nor would I say that the Big Six adds that euphonic "glow" that some folks associate with tubes. I guess I just keep coming back to that word "presence." When I take the Big Six out of the chain, I remain impressed by the Devialet, but not as moved by it.

None of this is to disparage the Devialet in the slightest. It is a truly remarkable unit, even a revelation, considering the range of its capabilities. I look forward to keeping it as the foundation of my system for years to come. I just like it even better with the Lampizator in the chain.
Oh I just sold my lampizator L4 G4 DSD dac a couple of weeks back as well! Not quite the big 6 but hopefully I will not regret it. The lampi fed with dsd is amazing but I am just not interested in most of the library. Waiting for the dealer to have the phantoms to compare with the dev 200 before I splash the cash.
(05-Jun-2015, 12:25)Dom Wrote: Oh I just sold my lampizator L4 G4 DSD dac a couple of weeks back as well! Not quite the big 6 but hopefully I will not regret it. The lampi fed with dsd is amazing but I am just not interested in most of the library. Waiting for the dealer to have the phantoms to compare with the dev 200 before I splash the cash.

I have not heard the L4, but I have a good friend who just bought one and swears that the key is finding just the right tube complement. He didn't care for it much at all with the stock Russian tubes, but when he put in some nice grey plate Siemens and a better NOS rectifier, he found true love.

As for the Big Six, the redbook playback is so good that I have not even bothered with DSD, though my unit has DSD capability. I share your view on the limitations of the DSD library, which is why satisfactory playback of standard recordings was essential for me.
(06-Apr-2015, 19:14)f1eng Wrote:

Yes, they may have heard a difference but it can't be attributed to the external DAC alone. I am just learning but I do not see any other way than the way you are currently doing. Please post your results.  Good luck.

I know this is not believed by a whole tranche of extremist audiophiles, but I have listened myself and I have yet to hear of anybody who has actually done this who does not have the same experience.

On that basis I believe that the characteristic colour of the Lampi will be perfectly reproduced by the Devialet.
I have done this myself with two DACs with tailored responses and their characteristic sound came through fine.
Frank - I have seen you post similar comments to that above and I must admit I don't fully understand what you are saying, or perhaps at least would like to clarify the point a little.  To be clear, I am not disputing what you are saying  Indeed I have not basis on which to do so, the only ADC I am familiar with is the one in my Devialet.  However, I have auditioned many DACS over the last couple of years.  Now I do find DAC's can sound very different, and to my ears the ones I like are manufactured by Chord and Devialet, which to me sound much better than similarly priced offerings from Bryston, Naim and others.  (I note you have a Hugo, so are clearly familiar with the performance of a Chord DAC)  Now from what you are saying, the Devialet DAC get the nod as being well engineered and transparent.  Now I think the Chord DAC sound similar the Devialet, when others do not.  Am I right to conclude that you think that there are many DACs out there that you think are not Transparent, at many price points, whereas the Devialet is?  I'm not quite sure I'm getting this.  Perhaps living up to my Confused title here.  I get the basic point of what you re saying, I think I would simply appreciate a bit of a clarification on the issue.  Thanks!
(06-Jun-2015, 12:35)Confused Wrote:
(06-Apr-2015, 19:14)f1eng Wrote:

Frank - I have seen you post similar comments to that above and I must admit I don't fully understand what you are saying, or perhaps at least would like to clarify the point a little.  To be clear, I am not disputing what you are saying  Indeed I have not basis on which to do so, the only ADC I am familiar with is the one in my Devialet.  However, I have auditioned many DACS over the last couple of years.  Now I do find DAC's can sound very different, and to my ears the ones I like are manufactured by Chord and Devialet, which to me sound much better than similarly priced offerings from Bryston, Naim and others.  (I note you have a Hugo, so are clearly familiar with the performance of a Chord DAC)  Now from what you are saying, the Devialet DAC get the nod as being well engineered and transparent.  Now I think the Chord DAC sound similar the Devialet, when others do not.  Am I right to conclude that you think that there are many DACs out there that you think are not Transparent, at many price points, whereas the Devialet is?  I'm not quite sure I'm getting this.  Perhaps living up to my Confused title here.  I get the basic point of what you re saying, I think I would simply appreciate a bit of a clarification on the issue.  Thanks!

I think most, but not all, conventionally engineered DACs sound very close indeed, though I have not heard them all Smile

In my own recordings a Metric Halo ADC/DAC makes absolutely no change to the sound of the mike feed to my ears, which leads me to believe that a properly engineered ADC/DAC is transparent.

Added colour comes from old fashioned ladder DACs which are generally not very linear (a linear ladder dac costs more  than a Devialet amp), no output filter leaves all sorts on spurious extra sound in the output and eccentric solid state or valve analogue output stages often have audible levels of euphonic colouration, although a transparent valve output stage is possible.

Any valve analogue stage where the sound changes when a valve is replaced with a different one of the "same" spec can not be transparent, obviously.

That is not to say people don't enjoy euphonic colouration, I enjoy my record player and all of them add loads of euphonic colouration, as well as the changes made to make an LP manufacturable, yet records can often be pretty convincing and certainly enjoyable, nevertheless.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire