Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection for Surround Sound, Multiple Inputs?
For obvious reasons toslink is limited in bandwidth, therefore no multichannel HD sound is possible.

Thankyou mixart for your replay!
(16-Jun-2015, 20:09)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I guess this is probably old news but Devialet did confirm yesterday at a training event that they are working on updating Dialog and Phantom to decode DTS and DD to offer a 5.0 setup, I guess even 7.0 will be possible, that would be a pretty serious wireless movie system I have to say.

And what about the 200ms delay in the update?

Okay, you can overcome this delay with a PCHC, but not with a bluray player, a gaming console or a TV.
I know. I've tried.
Has anyone considered what it would be like using a Phantom as a centre speaker? A little distracting with the turkey wings flapping? Although, I see no reason why it could not be hidden? Only the central outlet is needed to allow the sound to flow unimpeded. Perhaps someone needs to invent a "Phantom Shield", otherwise we would all be watching the Phantom doing it's bass dance, rather than watching the film? Another option would be to skip the centre channel, and use the two Phantom fronts as a "phantom" centre. (a phantom Phantom)
Originally bought mine with the intention of trying to make it a combined Centre+Subwoofer. But as soon as I heard what it could do across the range... I just had to buy another and make them my main speakers. From that moment on, all the prior harmonious integration between my Music and Video playback went right out the window...
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(17-Jun-2015, 12:42)Confused Wrote: Has anyone considered what it would be like using a Phantom as a centre speaker?  A little distracting with the turkey wings flapping?  Although, I see no reason why it could not be hidden?  Only the central outlet is needed to allow the sound to flow unimpeded.  Perhaps someone needs to invent a "Phantom Shield", otherwise we would all be watching the Phantom doing it's bass dance, rather than watching the film?  Another option would be to skip the centre channel, and use the two Phantom fronts as a "phantom" centre.  (a phantom Phantom)

I use my Phantom Silver as a centre speaker for both music and bluray movies, while I'm waiting for my second Silver. It was only in the beginning I noticed the bass dance, but now It don't distract me anymore, so you will getting use to is and forget about it.
The colour would be more of a problem wouldn't it?
(17-Jun-2015, 17:32)mixart Wrote:
(17-Jun-2015, 12:42)Confused Wrote: Has anyone considered what it would be like using a Phantom as a centre speaker?  A little distracting with the turkey wings flapping?  Although, I see no reason why it could not be hidden?  Only the central outlet is needed to allow the sound to flow unimpeded.  Perhaps someone needs to invent a "Phantom Shield", otherwise we would all be watching the Phantom doing it's bass dance, rather than watching the film?  Another option would be to skip the centre channel, and use the two Phantom fronts as a "phantom" centre.  (a phantom Phantom)

I use my Phantom Silver as a centre speaker for both music and bluray movies, while I'm waiting for my second Silver. It was only in the beginning I noticed the bass dance, but now It don't distract me anymore, so you will getting use to is and forget about it.

I have to agree, as I am no more distracted by the Phantoms than any other speaker.

Personally, I have been unable to replicate the many bass dance videos with my setup.
I can only conclude that they are very dependent on a huge volume setting which I have feared to attempt.

I had intended to purchase a Phantom for centre duties but having enjoyed a phantom centre for over a month I have put that on hold for the time being.
Would it be possible to use a multiple input toslink switcher with single output to Phantom/dialogue? Or possibly an HDMI to toslink between AV amp and Dialogue?
I assume you will still have the problem of the delay, but there must be a way around it
If you set up L/R Phantoms as stereo, C as single unit and L/R surround as a stereo pair and you get hold of a receiver with multiple toslink outputs where you can assign the different surround channels you could probably get surround sound. The receiver also needs to be able to delay both sound and picture to get sync. I've never heard of such a receiver, but I haven't been looking very hard either.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
You can also use multiple AD converters and use the analog outputs on the receiver/preamp.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage