Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controlling a Melco NA1
I am running a Melco NA1 into a D400 and am notionally controlling the Melco with the Android version of BubbleUPnP- this running on a Hudl.

The problem is the my media library index, covering about 5000 CDs, seem to have to reload each time I start to listen. There is thus no question of deciding to listen to a particular piece and doing so in any reasonable timescale. I can find no way to download the library index to the tablet, store it there, and have it ready an waiting when I next wish to listen.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

Fraser
The rescan on startup is a 'feature' of the Twonky media server software. They've always done this and I have no idea why - it's completely pointless.
Melco have been working with the guy who wrote Minimserver recently and are hoping (the last time I heard) to give the option to use Minimserver instead of Twonky. You can do it yourself, but it is a little involved from a technical perspective as it's not fully packaged and production ready yet. It is a large improvement over Twonky though (which also indexes by Album Artist in a bizarre way which is another bugbear of mine!). There's a big thread on it here.
http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=2032

To get instructions on how to load Minimserver, it's worth contacting Simon Nash who wrote it, via the Minimserver forum. His username is simoncn.
My info may be a little out of date on this by the way.
Do Melco have any plans to release their own app? I seem to recall one was in the pipeline.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Rufus,

Thank you for this.

It is odd that software continues to work inefficiently when Sonos led the way years ago. Sonos has the hardware advantage that it can store its index in each box and can be updated on a schedule, but the Twonky behaviour is still odd.

I had noted form forum members' equipment listings that some used Minimserver, and indeed the unit I borrowed for auditioning had MinimServer installed. I was initially put off by the overhead of its being a Java coding. As you are happy wth Minimserver, I shall bite the bullet, however.

I too had found some of the indexing weird, with obscure tags being used. They weren't actually wrong, as such, but they varied by track such that a single album would be fragmented - very handy! I couldn't find these rogue tags, to abolish them, in either Tag&Rename or MP3Tag, so had to convert the FLACs to WAVs and then back again, before retagging manually.

Fraser
I have no idea why Twonky do that rescan thing on startup - it's intensely annoying. I've got maybe 2500 albums as it takes a good 15 minutes to rescan.
Minimserver - you also need to install Minimwatch on another computer to configure/trigger rescans. The config is powerful, but not necessarily user-friendly...
(30-Sep-2015, 10:47)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I have no idea why Twonky do that rescan thing on startup - it's intensely annoying. I've got maybe 2500 albums as it takes a good 15 minutes to rescan.
Minimserver - you also need to install Minimwatch on another computer to configure/trigger rescans. The config is powerful, but not necessarily user-friendly...

Is this not partially resolved by leaving the Melco on?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Well it is, but I turn things off quite frequently ...!
(30-Sep-2015, 11:44)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Well it is, but I turn things off quite frequently ...!

Well the way I look at it the N1A is a NAS (as well as being a streamer). My QNAP is always on, in several years I don't think I've ever turned it off.

Anyway sounds as though Minimserver addresses this issue.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Minimserver is now installed on the Melco.

After sterling assistance from Simon, Minimwatch is also working.

How, though, do I persuade my tablet - currently running BubbleuPnP - to keep a copy of the library index on it so that I can decide on a piece of music and play it straight away?

Fraser
Not quite sure what you mean - the UPNP server will present the index to the control point. Some control points like Linn's Kinsky don't cache this and subsequently can be a little slow to pull from the server. The Melco's hardware isn't particularly fast to respond either - fairly slow cpu I think - so it can take a few seconds. Others (not sure if BubbleUPNP is one - got a feeling it's not), for instance the Lumin app, maintain their own cache/index for faster response. I get a bit confused with the icons on the Lumin app (i.e what does what) so tend not to use it. I'm guessing you have an Android tablet (?) not sure if the Lumin app is available or not for Android.
I use Kinsky as I'm accustomed to it. It's not exactly the sexiest app there is and it can be a bit slow with the Melco, but it gets the music playing.