Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
(26-Dec-2017, 03:57)baddog Wrote: @Nakatomi63 Assuming both the Devialet and PC are connected to the router, the PC can be connected to either band, 5Hgz or 2.4Ghz. If your PC supports either band, then I would try the 5Ghz band first.

My PC only can be connected to 2.4GHz. band. The router works in both bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz, at the same time. This is the reason for my question..
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
(26-Dec-2017, 04:23)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(26-Dec-2017, 03:57)baddog Wrote: @Nakatomi63 Assuming both the Devialet and PC are connected to the router, the PC can be connected to either band, 5Hgz or 2.4Ghz. If your PC supports either band, then I would try the 5Ghz band first.

My PC only can be connected to 2.4GHz. band. The router works in both bands, 2.4 and 5 GHz, at the same time. This is the reason for my question..

There should be absolutely no problem having your PC on 2.4Ghz and the Devialet on 5Ghz. The Air protocol works above IP and both bands are part of the same subnet, even L2 domain, in your case. 
Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Hi Folks,

Thought I'd give my impressions of the CI upgrade to my 1000Pro.

Service & Turnaround: 
Stunning - 8 days door to door for a free upgrade. Most definitely not the usual High End experience - in the past it's taken me longer to get hold of dealers/distributers on the phone than that!

Streaming set-up: 
Mac Mini with RoonServer control using Air Wifi (v 3.4). Devolo 1200 Powerline WiFi module situated 10 inches from receiving Devialet - this gives about -17dB signal. With Air WiFiI have found it essential to have no less than -30 dB signal otherwise you get constant dropouts, difficulty 'locking-on'  and no chance of running higher resolution material. Surprisingly (to me) the Devolo powerline sounds better than taking the WiFi Router from the lounge to the hifi room and linking back to the Broadband Fibre Modem using 15 m of decent quality Cat6e. The former sounds clearer, more impactful and dynamic. The latter sounds a little bit smaller scale and duller. Don't know why but there it is. The Devolo links to a 5-port Gigabit switch so I can link to MacMini and also run the Devialet in Air Ethernet or Roon Air Ethernet modes. Mixture of Audioquest Vodka and MeiCord cables. Also linked to the Switch is a QNAP two bay NAS with about 700-800 CDs ripped to FLAC. 

Core Infinity Sound Impressions:

Generally excellent. I would say overall the two things that stick out are (a) a general feeling of greater richness and (b) more air and layering to complex passages. This has all been via TIDAL streaming.

I think with (a) there is a significant shift in the mid and mid-bass tonality. I have always felt that prior to CI, Air WiFi could be a bit tonally lean/dry in the mid - perhaps coming across as extra definition in some cases but often rather clinical in others. I think now it sounds musically fleshed out without going down the path of mushy warmth. (b) is more tricky to explain but on a number of occasions now I have been listening to very familiar tracks where it has be come apparent that there are more than one background vocalists or subtle background studio noises that really add to the 3D illusion. None of this is 'extra information', just that these little musical clues seem to have more space to exist. I think (b) must be the result of significant jitter reduction - I heard something similar about 10 years ago when a DCS Masterclock was inserted between DCS Transport and DAC. Not a night and day change in sound but definitely messed with the spacial clues and microdynamics. 

With a good TIDAL rip I feel compelled to state that CI/Roon/Devolo is now my best digital source. I most definitely would not have said that 6 months ago.

The other issues, which have almost stopped me swearing, is the great improvement in the stability of Air WiFi.
As stated above, for me at least, the key has been to get the signal up to -20dB or higher. But even then there would be locking on problems, temp dropouts, clicks, pops and farts that would really put a downer on a listening session. Normally I could get things stable for trouble free listening but occasionally things would screw it all up - e.g. Mac OS or Roon upgrades. With Roon the dreaded 'Transport device in use' could come up but that can be avoided, on Roon's, instruction to turn Devialet Air to 'never stream automatically' to it. Often it is best to switch Air off completely.

Post CI Air is rock stable even with 192 material - never been able to do that. The Air signal is 0dB !!!! That is military radar! However, I'm not so sure that it the real value as curiosity got the better of me and I put a metal kitchen colander over the Devolo transmitter (i.e. a homemade Faraday cage) and it still read 0dB. Anyway who cares, it is incredibly stable whether it is Devialet Air WiFi or Roon Air WiFi. 

I too have had some issues with Devialet Air competing with Roon Air (WiFi and Ethernet) and I think it might be that CI remembers the input sources and so gets in a pickle when you try to swap sources. No problem on bouncing between Roon WiFi or Ethernet and likewise between Air Wifi and Ethernet, but if you try to have Air and Roon sources all enabled and then start going between the four option then 'transport in use' or inaccessible sources seem to become a problem. My advice is listen to Roon Wifi/Ethernet then disable them in Audio set-up before firing up Devialet Air.

Anyway, I'm very pleased - 8 days for a free and sonically positive upgrade that seems to have sorted out the last of my streaming issues.

Bravo Devialet.

Happy New Year!

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Hi Kevin,
nice to hear. Can you already comment about the sound quality via SPDIF or AES/EBU ? Is there also an improvement as mentioned by others already ?
(30-Dec-2017, 20:14)Vivialet Wrote: Hi Kevin,
nice to hear. Can you already comment about the sound quality via SPDIF or AES/EBU ? Is there also an improvement as mentioned by others already ?

Hi Vivialet

I'd be lying if I said it sounds bette. This is simply because I have not really listened to my Metronome CD transport via spdif over that last six months due to getting hooked on Roon and a big Turntable project. I therefore don't really have the aural memory to compare. It still sounds great so I don't think its gone backwards.

Does anyone know if all external sources are feed through the CI board/Masterclock??

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kevin
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
(30-Dec-2017, 20:35)UKIBM Wrote:

Hi Vivialet

I'd be lying if I said it sounds bette. This is simply because I have not really listened to my Metronome CD transport via spdif over that last six months due to getting hooked on Roon and a big Turntable project. I therefore don't really have the aural memory to compare. It still sounds great so I don't think its gone backwards.

Does anyone know if all external sources are feed through the CI board/Masterclock??

Kevin

Yes, I got confirmation that all sources get their clock (improved) from the CI board, therefore improvement in applicable for every entry, not only to the Air/Streaming.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
thanks, good to get it confirmed. Then I will schedule to send my amps to France in the next weeks...let's see if the CI Board can beat my Mutec MC-3/REF 10 setup...
(31-Dec-2017, 10:42)Vivialet Wrote: thanks, good to get it confirmed. Then I will schedule to send my amps to France in the next weeks...let's see if the CI Board can beat my Mutec MC-3/REF 10 setup...

Will be very interested in the comparison between CI & Mutec MC3/Ref 10!

Let us know how you go!
(30-Dec-2017, 21:26)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(30-Dec-2017, 20:35)UKIBM Wrote:

Hi Vivialet

Kevin

Yes, I got confirmation that all sources get their clock (improved) from the CI board, therefore improvement in applicable for every entry, not only to the Air/Streaming.

Jean-Marie

That’s very good to hear, thank you Jean-Marie for sharing this. It’s a shame Devialet haven’t yet been able to produce a white paper on the CI board as I am sure there are lots of fascinating bits for us to discover! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hello everyone,

First impression after a week listening my D250 Pro, but I need to go further into testing.
My configuration is using an upgraded Mac Mini, Roon Air / Air 3 Wifi via Airport Extreme - Roon or Audirvana player.

Last but not least, firmware is still bugged even if there is a big improvement with Air Wifi. Using Roon and Audirvana, the main bug relies in frequency switching that provokes a full stop between 2 different sample files. Also dropouts from time to time, at higher sample rates. With my Aiport Extreme close to the Devialet, ilt's nearly perfect.
A nice surprise using UPNP feature with Audirvana (my D250 is recognized immediately) ; file is sent by Wifi and played by CI card, which appears to be very good at it. Differences with Air Wifi are difficult to ear ; UPNP is steadier and would need a less sophisticated "source", possibly just a NAS or a computer without any tweak.
I did not compared Air/Wifi to Air/wired yet.

Worik in progres...

Regards,
I.
Upgraded Mac Mini - Audirvana - Dirac plugin - Air3 Wifi - Roon & Roon Air - D250 pro - Thiel CS 3.7