Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Core Infinity listening impressions and comparisons
Watch nerd, one of the primary reasons for the sound quality of the Devialet Expert range is the integration of the DAC in close proximity of the amplifier. My theory, and likely others on this forum, is that integrating the streamer board can also have a positive effect on sound quality. It’s not a given though. Some here have argued that putting a mini computer inside such a small case would introduce interference. That’s a valid concern.

So here we are, all awaiting with baited breath, to find out whether the new streamer board introduces better or worse sound.

Time will tell.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-Dec-2017, 09:29)Pim van Vliet Wrote: So here we are, all awaiting with baited breath, to find out whether the new streamer board introduces better or worse sound. 

Except for Markhus, no one else that has received back an upgraded Pro can say what (if anything) has happened to the SQ (+ve or -ve).

Or are they too busy trying to get the software to work and haven't had an opprotunity to listen to the SQ?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(03-Dec-2017, 15:44)Celts88 Wrote: Except for Markhus, no one else that has received back an upgraded Pro can say what (if anything) has happened to the SQ (+ve or -ve).

Or are they too busy trying to get the software to work and haven't had an opprotunity to listen to the SQ?

In Europe, the first upgraded machines seem to have been shipped by the factory on Friday afternoon. They are still in transit and should land early next week...
Hello, have asked on Friday at Devialet, what the timing of the upgrade looks like.
The information from Devialet:
The first 500 units are already ordered to upgrade, or already done. The second wave starts, in the first week of December. There is no time limit for the user to perform the upgrade !! Shy
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I think I’d be inclined to hold back if you are in the second wave. There is a chance that your amp(s) may be caught in the rush and you won’t get them back by Christmas.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(27-Nov-2017, 19:19)Spindrift Wrote:
(26-Nov-2017, 12:36)ogs Wrote:
(25-Nov-2017, 17:18)markush Wrote: It's really exciting and I am sure the community will enjoy it very much. Stay tuned for more - Devialet engineers are working night & day / all weekend to achieve a good progress in the software.

I think one of the most important questions (for me at least) is whether the CI, streaming Roon/AIR or eventually RAAT, will do better than going through the Mutec (or Total DAC) reclocker. For the Mutec and a few others there is also the option of the REF10. I do not think the Total DAC has a word clock input, yet.
There are several Devialet Pro users with Mutecs in their system on DC, even some with REF10. We will know the answer to this soon. I've postponed my CI installation to end of January so I am looking forward to reports from you all. The question is:

Is there a reclocker on the CI board?

As a Mutec/Refrence 10 user, a 10Mhz work clock input on the CI board would have been great - but lacking that, I will be interested to see if the word clock for the DAC section is provided by the current clock (on the main board) or if the CI provides a clock source . .

Been told:

The Core Infinity board will effectively be the one to generate and distribute the purest clock signals, including the word clock. Those signals are then rerouted on the motherboard
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(04-Dec-2017, 06:32)Celts88 Wrote:
(27-Nov-2017, 19:19)Spindrift Wrote:
(26-Nov-2017, 12:36)ogs Wrote: I think one of the most important questions (for me at least) is whether the CI, streaming Roon/AIR or eventually RAAT, will do better than going through the Mutec (or Total DAC) reclocker. For the Mutec and a few others there is also the option of the REF10. I do not think the Total DAC has a word clock input, yet.
There are several Devialet Pro users with Mutecs in their system on DC, even some with REF10. We will know the answer to this soon. I've postponed my CI installation to end of January so I am looking forward to reports from you all. The question is:

Is there a reclocker on the CI board?

As a Mutec/Refrence 10 user, a 10Mhz work clock input on the CI board would have been great - but lacking that, I will be interested to see if the word clock for the DAC section is provided by the current clock (on the main board) or if the CI provides a clock source . .

Been told:

The Core Infinity board will effectively be the one to generate and distribute the purest clock signals, including the word clock. Those signals are then rerouted on the motherboard

Would you care to tell us who told you?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Dec-2017, 06:32)Celts88 Wrote: Been told:

I'm with Pim here. Would be interesting to know if this is from Devialet. If correct it is interesting to know that the clocking scheme has been thought of in the design. Maybe @markush knows something he can reveal?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Don't want to go into who the actual person is, but just to say it's 110% a Devialet employee (don't want to break their confidentiality).

Australia (Perth)
(04-Dec-2017, 11:22)ogs Wrote:
(04-Dec-2017, 06:32)Celts88 Wrote: Been told:

I'm with Pim here. Would be interesting to know if this is from Devialet. If correct it is interesting to know that the clocking scheme has been thought of in the design. Maybe @markush knows something he can reveal?

Yes, I too would be interested in more details here, for example, it begs the question how exactly do the clock signals work in a dual mono set up?  There are two key points with audio clocks, the quality of the clock, low jitter etc., and how close the clock is positioned to whatever it is clocking.  Users of devices such as the Mutec REF10 report the best results with ultra short clock cables, some would argue that an external clock will never be as good as one mounted directly in the DAC, it is not a straightforward topic.

This is in fact the key reason I started this thread.  With my old D800, I was reasonably happy with my uR / Mutec MC3+USB 'front end', with the 1000Pro, I am as convinced as I can be that this front end is the bottle neck in the system.  I have thought of going the SOtMUltra + Mutec REF10 route, which would be about £6k or more depending on cables, PSU's etc.  Maybe the new board will actually perform so well that spending £1000's on REF10's is not needed.  Optimistic perhaps, but you never know.  If we get enough user reviews and comparisons then the situation should become much clearer.  If the OS Board ever works, that is!

It is another reason why a dealer event with someone like Devialet's Mathieu Pernot in attendance would be absolute gold dust now that the Core Infamy board is with us.  A basic understanding of how the OS board works, plus some insight into how a Devialet deals with the clock signals imbedded in the AES/EBU feed would be very useful in terms of understanding the benefit of a Mutec REF10 or similar.

Back on topic, I wonder if anyone will actually get their upgraded Pro back this week and actually find they can get the Core Infamy Board to work!  Here hoping!

Back off topic, I think we are near enough to the 'festive period', that personally I would not want to risk sending my own 1000Pro back to Paris.  If I got the 'invite' now, I would definitely want to delay to next year.  Thankfully Devialet have been very cooperative in my case, and not even sent an invite.  An earlier poster suggested that 'upgraded Expert' Pro's would get priority over those like myself that purchased a Pro outright, I could get grumpy about being pushed to the back of the queue, but it my case it looks like it's working out nicely!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12