Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cracked Phantom
The other day I saw the thread regarding the case of the Phantom yellowing. I went ahead and checked mine, and sure enough, there is yellowing around the ring. However, this is relatively minor after I discovered a crack in the plastic around the front ring!

I have sent in a request to customer support so I will keep everyone updated on how this is resolved.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My silver Phantom has not been abused so I am at a loss of how this happened. I presume it must be a result of a manufacturing defect, however, it was not cracked when I first got it. 

It has also always emitted a faint hiss above 80 or so, but this has not been a massive issue as I typically use it around 45 - 65. I've mentioned this to them a swell in the support request so we shall see what happens.

Excuse the dust - it was due for its cleaning when I discovered the crack. 

[Image: Js92nCG.jpg]
I must consider myself quite lucky, no yellowing of cracks on Silver Phantoms that have been here since early April.
No yellowing no cracking here either. One of the things that has been on my mind is whether the Phantoms will last for, say, 10 years. It's new tech - and aggressively designed to push the envelope. As a former engineer, I love what they are doing. As a consumer, I do wonder how long a Phantom will last if used 20 hours a week. 1000. hours a year. Would it last 10,000 hours for 10 years? Only time will tell.

I do feel that the Phantom is built super solidly.
Wow that sucks.
I also wonder how my phantoms will stand the test of time. My old kef reference are as good as new after 20+ years of duty. For some reason I think the phantoms will not last that long. Perhaps i will own phantom v5.0 by then...
Mine isn't cracked, but I've also this strange ugly yellow lines. They are very difficult to remove. No, I'm not smoking...
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
Photo 
I must be a rarity - a geezer engaged in an emotional purchase at the Apple Store April 2016, buying a Phantom Silver for delivery at the Vegas Summerlin Apple Store, dusting it off 72 hours after pickup and discovering a 5 centimeter crack. Afraid it might explode, it went straight back to the store. 

Old ears likely couldn't fully appreciate it anyway, but disappointed nevertheless.
The emotianal purchase is absolutely understandable!!bad luck for the crack though. Probably damaged during transportation from the factory to apple or from apple to final delivery.
Why did you return it without a getting a replacement unit?
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
(11-Jun-2016, 16:14)Teliaved Wrote: The emotianal purchase is absolutely understandable!!bad luck for the crack though. Probably damaged during transportation from the factory to apple or from apple to final delivery.
Why did you return it without a getting a replacement unit?

I guess that will never be known; however, it was carefully examined both in the Apple Store and upon arrival home. Care in Transportation on my part exceeded that afforded my first born. I didn't get a replacement because I didn't want to run the risk of the replacement cracking during or after the warranty period and the hassle that might generate. Also, the amount of pressure reported within the Kevlar envelope suggestein my feeble mind that there might be danger involved.  Additionally, I didn't have any insight into how widespread this cracking condition might be among other buyers. 

Thanks for your expression of concern.
I had the same problem as you. I noticed a crack around the midrange exactly like in your photo and I believe this is a manufacturing defect, because I have manipulated the device only by myself, carefully. Look my thread here named "Phantom external skin issue", I posted photos like you.

I contacted Devialet support by email to inform this issue, but only after a conversation through the online chat they will replace my Phantom. I bought it 3 months ago.
I have a Phantom for more than a year now, and I also noticed the yellowing on both side of my Phantom.
Do you know how to take care of it?
Do you know if devialet can replace just the plastic part? Or is the support doing anything?
I contact them, I will keep you inform.