Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D PREMIER PHASE BUTTON
Never had the slightest knowledge or concern about phase before. Apart from making sure my positive and negative at speaker end matched the amp end. Although sometimes I read that’s polarity, sometimes phase.

Anyway why did Devialet suddenly deem phase so important to the listener that one of the 3 buttons on their remote has been labelled “Phase Invert”

I’m now worried my music might be out of phase and not sounding best but with no way of knowing what I am listening for!! 

I tried pressing a few times and can hear no difference. I even tried it when using test voice track to set my balance which I can’t seem to get right - if left is ok, and centre is ok, right is way off. I read phase issues could cause this issue with soundstage - but again it made no difference.

So I guess it’s a general interest why Devialet prioritised this feature so obviously when most people like me never gave a **** - I hope it’s that I’ve been missing out all these years!!! Smile

And also any dummies guide to phase issues for a normal listener like me - all the stuff on Google is mind boggling to me and seemingly aimed at sound engineers 

Thanks all Smile

P.S i reprogrammed the button as mute - but it still says phase on the case so I don’t think I’ll ever rest until I know!!
Very few modern (digital) recordings will have this wrong, but older ones and transfers from analog might. If you feel a recording sounds dull and uninvolving, as if there is a thin fog over the sound, try to flip the phase.
One example is 'Fairground Attraction' 'The First of a Million Kisses'. This is most likely recorded with just a stereo pair of microphones. With phase normal the band sounds great, but Eddi Reader's voice is a bit closed in. Flip the phase and her voice snaps into focus, but the band is now a little diffuse. I've always imagined that Eddi looks at the band while singing so has her back on the microphones. If she does have a separate mic it is probably connected with the wrong polarity.
The effect of absolute phase reversal is subtle and easiest to hear on time coincident speakers...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Great thanks. Tried a track on that album and couldn’t hear any different + or -

Guess it’s for proper obsessives - and kind of makes more sense now why Devialet thought it so important as they’re bang into old classic vinyl recordings Smile

As in their £2000 lost recordings lacquers - play them once and they’re gone
Try "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall".
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(22-Mar-2021, 20:24)Delija Wrote: Try "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall".

Stunning recording quality that.
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Indeed. Great quality of both music and sound.
Interestingly, it's recorded in inverse polarity.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7