Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Premier firmware update
Hey guys (& gals,)

I recently purchased an older D-Premier with the caveat that it would not allow firmware or configuration updates. To test this condition, I acquired a couple of appropriate sd cards and gave it a whirl. Sure enough, it continuously defaults to ‘factory’ 5.6.0.

I’m not sure why a software driven unit such as this would be hamstrung in such a way. Huh  It’s great as is, but I wouldn’t mind trying out the vaunted 7.1.3 FW and being able to at least configure the phono input.

Does anyone have experience with this situation or any sort of a remedy? Contacting support seems to be a lost cause as I’ve tried a number of times over the last 3 weeks with no response.

Thanks!
(19-Sep-2018, 20:14)Loonytunz Wrote: Hey guys (& gals,)

I recently purchased an older D-Premier with the caveat that it would not allow firmware or configuration updates. To test this condition, I acquired a couple of appropriate sd cards and gave it a whirl. Sure enough, it continuously defaults to ‘factory’ 5.6.0.

I’m not sure why a software driven unit such as this would be hamstrung in such a way. Huh  It’s great as is, but I wouldn’t mind trying out the vaunted 7.1.3 FW and being able to at least configure the phono input.

Does anyone have experience with this situation or any sort of a remedy? Contacting support seems to be a lost cause as I’ve tried a number of times over the last 3 weeks with no response.

Thanks!

I’ve just had a quick look at the Configurator and can’t see why you’d be having problems configuring the phono input. You can choose the D-Premier as a new configuration and turn on the phono inputs, CD input, Computer and TV/AV. Have you tried a new configuration, here:https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/configura...new-config , select Expert, then D-Prem.?

In the same vein: I can’t understand why you wouldn’t be able to upgrade the firmware to 7.1.3, using this as a guide:https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Sep-2018, 02:02)Axel Wrote:
(19-Sep-2018, 20:14)Loonytunz Wrote: Hey guys (& gals,)

Thanks!

I’ve just had a quick look at the Configurator and can’t see why you’d be having problems configuring the phono input. You can choose the D-Premier as a new configuration and turn on the phono inputs, CD input, Computer and TV/AV. Have you tried a new configuration, here:https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/configura...new-config , select Expert, then D-Prem.?

In the same vein: I can’t understand why you wouldn’t be able to upgrade the firmware to 7.1.3, using this as a guide:https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

I don’t understand it either. My guess is the unit has no interest in reading the sd card. My question is can anything be done about it.
Is it not reading from the SD card at all?
Try loading a new config file. If you insert the SD card with the new config file it should immediately start reading it. If that is the case, your current issue may not be SD card reading related.

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
You say in your original post "with the caveat that it would not allow firmware or configuration updates".
Did the vendor specifically say this and if so, did they say why? Is the card reader knackered? If so, then the unit needs to go back to Devialet for repairs as it’s pretty useless without a functioning card reader.  Bear in mind that some models can be iffy about size of SD Card used. Use the smallest one you can, 4GB if possible. 

Welcome to DC, by the way Smile.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(20-Sep-2018, 05:32)Drifter Wrote: Is it not reading from the SD card at all?
Try loading a new config file. If you insert the SD card with the new config file it should immediately start reading it. If that is the case, your current issue may not be SD card reading related.

It doesn’t seem to be, no. I’ve tried loading a new config file to no avail.
(20-Sep-2018, 09:27)Axel Wrote: You say in your original post "with the caveat that it would not allow firmware or configuration updates".
Did the vendor specifically say this and if so, did they say why? Is the card reader knackered? If so, then the unit needs to go back to Devialet for repairs as it’s pretty useless without a functioning card reader.  Bear in mind that some models can be iffy about size of SD Card used. Use the smallest one you can, 4GB if possible. 

The previous owner explicitly explained this shortcoming, but gave no reason for it. He left me with the impression it was created this way intentionally. He is a seasoned owner who had and has a number of Devialet models. I’ve contacted him to discuss it further to see what I can learn, but I suspect that the reader is probably just roasted.

I used a 4g sd formatted fat16 to do the deed, as all I’ve read indicates this is the device most likely to be successful in updating the unit.

Thanks for the welcome! This forum has been a wealth of information to help me learn more about this strange, but beautiful creature.
(20-Sep-2018, 14:08)Loonytunz Wrote:
(20-Sep-2018, 09:27)Axel Wrote: You say in your original post "with the caveat that it would not allow firmware or configuration updates".

The previous owner explicitly explained this shortcoming, but gave no reason for it. He left me with the impression it was created this way intentionally. He is a seasoned owner who had and has a number of Devialet models. I’ve contacted him to discuss it further to see what I can learn, but I suspect that the reader is probably just roasted.

I used a 4g sd formatted fat16 to do the deed, as all I’ve read indicates this is the device most likely to be successful in updating the unit.

Thanks for the welcome! This forum has been a wealth of information to help me learn more about this strange, but beautiful creature.

The devialet can only work with FAT32 formatted drives.

Having said that, it could be that your Dev also works with NTFS - I have not tried that - but you should avoid this on an SD Card.

For sure your Dev cannot work with the exFAT format which is almost always the formatting on SD cards as of 32 gigs (since FAT32 can only be used on drives less than 32 Gigs).

Maybe this explains your issue. So go for a small card or install a tool that allows you to format drives < 32Gig to the FAT32 format in case they came as exFAT formatted.
(20-Sep-2018, 14:44)Stino Wrote:
(20-Sep-2018, 14:08)Loonytunz Wrote:

Having said that, it could be that your Dev also works with NTFS - I have not tried that - but you should avoid this on an SD Card.

For sure your Dev cannot work with the exFAT format which is almost always the formatting on SD cards as of 32 gigs (since FAT32 can only be used on drives less than 32 Gigs).

Maybe this explains your issue. So go for a small card or install a tool that allows you to format drives < 32Gig to the FAT32 format in case they came as exFAT formatted.

I’ll give it a try (wrestling fat16 out of the mac wasn’t fun, fat32 is native.) I’ve read a lot more hit or miss about fat32 than fat16, including from the company themselves. They also go on to say either is fine in other discourse.  Dodgy

“Make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT or FAT16. We advice you to reformat it on the same computer you use to generate the files on.”

Thanks for the input. We’ll see what happens.

— What happened was nothing. I reformated the card in fat32, loaded it with fresh copy of 7.1.3, unplugged the d-premier, dropped in the card, plugged the unit in and got the same “FACTORY CONFIG” message. Toggled the meta info ... 5.6.0.

I think it just needs a trip home to have a look see at the reader.
(20-Sep-2018, 16:54)Loonytunz Wrote:
(20-Sep-2018, 14:44)Stino Wrote:
(20-Sep-2018, 14:08)Loonytunz Wrote: The previous owner explicitly explained this shortcoming, but gave no reason for it. He left me with the impression it was created this way intentionally. He is a seasoned owner who had and has a number of Devialet models. I’ve contacted him to discuss it further to see what I can learn, but I suspect that the reader is probably just roasted.

I’ll give it a try (wrestling fat16 out of the mac wasn’t fun, fat32 is native.) I’ve read a lot more hit or miss about fat32 than fat16, including from the company themselves. They also go on to say either is fine in other discourse.  Dodgy

“Make sure the SD card is formatted in FAT or FAT16. We advice you to reformat it on the same computer you use to generate the files on.”

Thanks for the input. We’ll see what happens.

— What happened was nothing. I reformated the card in fat32, loaded it with fresh copy of 7.1.3, unplugged the d-premier, dropped in the card, plugged the unit in and got the same “FACTORY CONFIG” message. Toggled the meta info ... 5.6.0.

I think it just needs a trip home to have a look see at the reader.

So it sounds like the card reader has had it, but it shouldn’t cost too much to fix I imagine. Good luck!
South Coast England