Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D Premier new user questions.
I have with me on trial the wonderful D Premier with an option to purchase.

My current system is Linn LP12, Unison Research S9, PS Audio GCPH and 

Yamaha NS1000. I listen to Jazz, Rock and some classical with a preference for acoustic styles. I was attracted to the D Premier for its range of connectivity options, convenience and excellent reviews around sound quality.

My initial views after a couple of hours of listening are very favourable but rather mixed in comparison to my current set up. Swapping in the D Premier gives a wider and deeper soundstage with greater image focus. Strings are particularly attractive/smooth/realistic and i understand 100% around comments about the D Premier being unfatiguing, i could see myself listening for hours which is important. However i prize timbre above all else and the S9 with the GCPH does this better with more realistic shadings, instruments just sound a little less soft and more realistic/organic. Drums too have deeper impact like at the end of Dire Straits Communique. Also listening to REM track Low bass guitar has more grunt/rasping effect giving greater realism. This could off course be down to the respective phonostages as my GCPH is also heavily modified. Must say though at first listen the D Premier sounds more top to bottom coherent/sorted with S9 a little more exciting/loose which is great with rock not so classical. Wanted the D Premier to better my S9 as its much more flexible and has facilities i now need.

More listening needed, really really impressed so far and in no way disappointed, certainly not hype imo around the D Premier its as good as described and beautiful to look at and use.

Hopefully still reading, if so can I ask if anyone has experienced a very quiet intermittent pulsing noise on the phono input? Sounds a bit like the pppppp heard when a mobile phone signal crosses a land line. Its left channel only, comes and goes 10 secs at a time and ive isolated this to the D Premier.

Finally being a total caveman around computers and frankly winging the techi side can i ask please is the SD card a generic item i can buy in an electrical store?

Many thanks W.
(10-Aug-2015, 19:06)runforfree69 Wrote: Hopefully still reading, if so can I ask if anyone has experienced a very quiet intermittent pulsing noise on the phono input? Sounds a bit like the pppppp heard when a mobile phone signal crosses a land line. Its left channel only, comes and goes 10 secs at a time and ive isolated this to the D Premier.

Hello!  The pulsing noise might be related to the wi-fi interface.  I'm not sure about the D-Premier, but other models in the Devialet range do have a known problem whereby if the wi-fi interface isn't associated with an access point, it can cause interference heard through one channel when the phono input is selected.  The configurator includes an option to automatically disable the wi-fi interface when the phono input is selected, which is generally a good thing to do.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Aug-2015, 19:06)runforfree69 Wrote: Finally being a total caveman around computers and frankly winging the techi side can i ask please is the SD card a generic item i can buy in an electrical store?

Yes, they're pretty widely available. Others here have found that cards with 4 GB capacity might work more reliably than higher capacities.
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Aug-2015, 19:06)runforfree69 Wrote: I have with me on trial the wonderful D Premier with an option to purchase.

My current system is Linn LP12, Unison Research S9, PS Audio GCPH and 

Yamaha NS1000. I listen to Jazz, Rock and some classical with a preference for acoustic styles. I was attracted to the D Premier for its range of connectivity options, convenience and excellent reviews around sound quality.

My initial views after a couple of hours of listening are very favourable but rather mixed in comparison to my current set up. Swapping in the D Premier gives a wider and deeper soundstage with greater image focus. Strings are particularly attractive/smooth/realistic and i understand 100% around comments about the D Premier being unfatiguing, i could see myself listening for hours which is important. However i prize timbre above all else and the S9 with the GCPH does this better with more realistic shadings, instruments just sound a little less soft and more realistic/organic. Drums too have deeper impact like at the end of Dire Straits Communique. Also listening to REM track Low bass guitar has more grunt/rasping effect giving greater realism. This could off course be down to the respective phonostages as my GCPH is also heavily modified. Must say though at first listen the D Premier sounds more top to bottom coherent/sorted with S9 a little more exciting/loose which is great with rock not so classical. Wanted the D Premier to better my S9 as its much more flexible and has facilities i now need.

More listening needed, really really impressed so far and in no way disappointed, certainly not hype imo around the D Premier its as good as described and beautiful to look at and use.

Hopefully still reading, if so can I ask if anyone has experienced a very quiet intermittent pulsing noise on the phono input? Sounds a bit like the pppppp heard when a mobile phone signal crosses a land line. Its left channel only, comes and goes 10 secs at a time and ive isolated this to the D Premier.

Finally being a total caveman around computers and frankly winging the techi side can i ask please is the SD card a generic item i can buy in an electrical store?

Many thanks W.
Yes, the D-Premier makes a low pulsing noise whilst searching for a wifi signal in the default configuration if you haven't renamed your wifi network and password. If you configure it to recognise and log onto your existing wifi network, and your network signal is strong enough at the Devialet, it will stop. WiFi can be disabled whilst using phono in the configurator too. I have done this but it was not strictly necessary.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thanks so much for replies, next stop purchase SD card and change configurations to enable or disable wifi, whichever removes the pulsing noises. Had a look at online configurator and even i could handle this so all good. Then much more listening.  Big Grin
Have fun! The configurator is not without some foibles, but for a single unit you should be fine. Anyway, if you have any questions I'm sure you'll be able to get answers here (or from Devialet support).
Warwickshire, UK
(10-Aug-2015, 22:13)thumb5 Wrote: Have fun!  The configurator is not without some foibles, but for a single unit you should be fine.  Anyway, if you have any questions I'm sure you'll be able to get answers here (or from Devialet support).

Thank you, much appreciated.