Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-Premier updates
Hello, I'm new to this forum.  

I just obtained a D-Premier to drive a pair of T+A Criterion TB160 speakers.  The D-Premier is a great match for these large floor standing speakers.  This one happens to be ceramic white, which looks pretty cool. 

The dealer I bought this from told me that it had recently come back from the factory refurbished with all the updates possible short of making the unit a Expert Pro 250.  The unit has 4 1/2 years left on the warranty, which made it pretty easy to buy it. 

What I'm trying to work out is what does an update to the latest for a D-Premier mean?  Is it just the 10.1.0 firmware, or does other hardware get changed?   Any insight would be most welcome.  How much difference is there in the ADH between the D-Premier and the Expert? 

I also have a Expert 400 with a pair of Dynaudio Focus 360 speakers as a dedicated listening setup, which is a outstanding setup.  What I find surprising is the D-Premier with the T+A speakers seems to sound every bit as good as the 400's.  The speakers are not supported by SAM, so the SAM function was not a major consideration in this purchase.  What was a consideration was the fact that the D-Premier has a HDMI input, which allows me to play SACD's as PCM at 88.2 KHz.   Makes me wonder why Devialet doesn't include the input for the Experts.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
If it's got HDMI it sounds to me that it's still a D-Premier and not upgraded to anything. The HDMI wasn't part of the 240 range and that was the next level up from D-Premier. Then again, if it sounds good it sounds good so I wouldn't worry too much about what's inside.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-May-2019, 22:50)Pim Wrote: If it's got HDMI it sounds to me that it's still a D-Premier and not upgraded to anything. The HDMI wasn't part of the 240 range and that was the next level up from D-Premier. Then again, if it sounds good it sounds good so I wouldn't worry too much about what's inside.

It is a D-Premier. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I was just trying to work out what the factory would have done at its most recent visit six months ago to update it as far as it can go. One item I found unusual was the date of the D-Premier unit is actually later than one of my Expert D400 units.

Yes, I think you may be right. I should just enjoy the sound (believe me, it sounds great).

One other oddity: The center button has a Bass On/Off when it's pressed quick. If the center is pressed and held, the bass/treble/etc. menu comes up. I worked out that the Bass On/Off is tied to the subsonic filter (change one, it changes the other).
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve been following anything Devialet for quite some time but this is the first time I’ve read about factory refurbished D-Premiers. So no idea if there’s anything upgraded hardware wise. Devialet prints revision numbers on the different parts inside so the only way to know if there’s newer parts than original fitted (or just ‘new old stock’ or existing but tested&approved parts) would be to open it. Of course they could have installed the latest minor revisions.

I can’t really imagine though Devialet would have continued developing the old platform (like Pim said it had two major upgrades since) or kept producing the old revision parts but who knows. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I'm working to get the invoice from the dealer to find out if it outlines what was done. I'm wondering if the D-Premier ADH is the same as the Expert ADH.

I did find it odd that the date of the D-Premier is almost two years newer than one of my two D200's.

ADH changed with Expert Pro in 2016. So Expert and D-Premier have the same modules (except maybe for tiny revisions)

Which date do you mean? Something on the box/Devialet or in the menu’s. IIRC the Devialets show no dates other than the firmware date and a YY/WW build code.

Regarding HDMI, this was sacrificed in favor of USB and physicical ethernet. A good thing IMO since many more people will use that compared to HDMI for streaming.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(26-May-2019, 13:30)Antoine Wrote: ADH changed with Expert Pro in 2016. So Expert and D-Premier have the same modules (except maybe for tiny revisions)

Which date do you mean? Something on the box/Devialet or in the menu’s. IIRC the Devialets show no dates other than the firmware date and a YY/WW build code.

Regarding HDMI, this was sacrificed in favor of USB and physicical ethernet. A good thing IMO since many more people will use that compared to HDMI for streaming.

I'm referring to the YY/WW build code.  

I understand the point about USB and ethernet.  Still, I use and like the HDMI interface, as I've a lot of SACD discs that sound great via the HDMI port.