Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D-premiers (dual mono) rca to xlr does not work on companion
As in the subject ive tried everything I could already and the companion doesn't work.
I have it connected exactly the same as my d440 before (audioquest diamond rca-rca plus rca to xlr adapter at companion end).

This does work perfect on 440 and it is a clear improvement from rca only but it doesn't with d-premier.

Anyone with d-prwmiers in dual mono have any clue what is going on?
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
As you haven't listed what you've tried, it's hard to know whether anything I might suggest would help.

Did you buy the 2 D-Premiers together as a dual-mono pair? If yes, then presumably they were working correctly in dual-mono, so your vendor should be able to help advise, particularly with regard to which interconnect cable was used.

If you didn't buy them together, then is your "companion" actually a companion, or is it just another master? In Gen 3, as we know, there is no hardware difference between the two, and the relationship is set only by configuration. But in Gen 1, the companion had less hardware inside so that it could only be used as a companion, and not a master. This might mean also mean the opposite is true, that a Gen 1 master cannot act as a companion. I don't know (perhaps someone else here does), but it seems possible to me.

So assuming your companion really is a companion, I would do the following:

1) Check both D-Premiers have the same firmware version, if not, update both to preferred firmware and try again.
2) Update both firmware to the final D-Premier firmware version released by Devialet and try again.
3) Try a different cable, perhaps a direct RCA to XLR without the adaptor, as short as possible. The earlier generations are known to be significantly more sensitive here.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
Does both of them work as a standalone stereo amps? Maybe the digital out on the master does not work? Try swapping them. @devianet is maybe on to something with gen1 vs gen3
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi.
They are both standard d-premiers and to be honest I didnt know or seen any d-premier companion existing ever.

One is 2012 build the other 2011

They work ok with rca to rca but once setup as rca to xlr the companion side recognizing it as but on the link section display says none (as not been connected)
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
Note ive had two 220 pro connected the same way (rca to xlr with adapter on for side which was working perfectly and the sound quality was clearly better than rca to rca connection
(16-Jan-2022, 13:31)winiar560 Wrote: Hi.
They are both standard d-premiers and to be honest I didnt know or seen any d-premier companion existing ever.

They work ok with rca to rca but once setup as rca to xlr the companion side recognizing it as but on the link section display says none (as not been connected)

Which firmware are you running? Might be that the old D-Premier hardware is more sensitive to impedance mismatch (75 to 110) than the 220. RCA-RCA will work, but RCA-AES/EBU will not sync. A Neutrik NADITBNC-MX should fix any impedance mismatch. but you'll need RCA-BNC to make the connection.

I can't remember that my 2012 D-Premier was particularly sensitive to impedance mismatch so it could of course be something else.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(16-Jan-2022, 16:41)ogs Wrote:
(16-Jan-2022, 13:31)winiar560 Wrote: Hi.

Which firmware are you running? Might be that the old D-Premier hardware is more sensitive to impedance mismatch (75 to 110) than the 220. RCA-RCA will work, but RCA-AES/EBU will not sync. A Neutrik NADITBNC-MX should fix any impedance mismatch. but you'll need RCA-BNC to make the connection.

I can't remember that my 2012 D-Premier was particularly sensitive to impedance mismatch so it could of course be something else.

They are both with the latest 10.1.0 firmware installed.
(16-Jan-2022, 12:58)ogs Wrote: Does both of them work as a standalone stereo amps? Maybe the digital out on the master does not work? Try swapping them. @devianet  is maybe on to something with gen1 vs gen3

Hi.
I'm very grateful for this suggestion as it works.

I have swapped them round master with companion and it started first time rca to rca-xlr (adapter) 

So in my case setting up the newer 2012 model as master doesn't work but swapping them round to the older 2011 as master all work first time with exactly same SD cards setup.

Thanks again.
Glad you got it working. Would be interesting to know how you feel the sound quality compares to D440 CI.
1000 Pro / Magico A5 / REL Studio III
(16-Jan-2022, 19:23)devianet Wrote: Glad you got it working. Would be interesting to know how you feel the sound quality compares to D440 CI.

As I can't listen to it tonight I will sometime this week and will provide my thoughts here at some point.

It is also interesting to me.

As far as I had a quick listen to d-premiers setup with audioquest diamond rca-rca yesterday I can confirm that 440 pro is a clear step up but also a different sound signature type.

440 pro is has warmer and more pleasant to the ear fluid sound and d-premiers dual mono are more neutral but where d-premiers are better is the weight of the sound in general,it feels like it has more of that slam ,weight in general with 440 pro leaner sounding