Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200- Can I use solid core speaker cable?
Good morning All. I am new to this forum and my first post. Ive had my D200 now for a month or so and think its great (apart from a couple of set up issues). I use it with ATC SCM19s and Chord Epic speaker cables. All in all I am delighted albeit a slight toppy treble. I have a pair if DNM Reson resolution speaker cable which are copper solid core which Id like to try. However I understand some amplifiers do not like solid core cables. Any views or thoughts on if I can try these on the D200 please?
Many thanks

Unless the insulation is stuffed and it's shorting, you can use any cable you like. It won't hurt your amp. Just give it a try and trust your ears.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Welcome. Unless there is some impedance issue, about which I understand almost nothing, I think you should try it. I had solid copper cables on my previous Naim gear, and it was terrible. Going to a well insulated stranded copper made a huge difference, easier highs, better low end clarity, and most notably, the midrange returned to the fore, where the solid copper had the mids sucked back and dull. All the 'problem's I thought were speaker or electronic-related were a function of the cable, it seemed.

The Naim equipment is different than many products in their speaker cable preferences, but the difference was clear and immediate. The Devialet is apparently fairly indifferent, or flexible, in terms of speaker cable, so give it a whirl and let us know what you hear.

BTW my D120 took about 60 hours or so to lose the slight metallic feel to the treble, so that may soften a bit with use as well.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Naim kit doesn't have an output zobel network so requires particular cable characteristics to avoid the amplifier going unstable.
Your dealer is an idiot for selling you Naim with unsuitable cables, your amp could be damaged.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I'm using Anti Cables which are solid core. For me the best cable I ever had, and it is cheap. Works absolutely fine, no problems.
F1eng. I don't know what a zobel is, but that is no matter; there is a great deal that I don't know about audio equipment. I do know, however, that  Naim amplifiers like their own cable, and I think we've covered this before. But you have made an erroneous assumption; my dealer did not sell me unsuitable cable. In fact, he sold me Naim cable. Over the course of 13 years with Naim, I tried several cables, including ordinary stranded copper, solid copper, Naim, Wireworld, and Disteck (I think that is how it is spelled). Any other potential idiocy with Naim equipment is behind me.

I was simply responding to the OP's query about solid core copper, and offering my opinion regarding the changes in sound quality. Judging from what I've read, the Devialet is less sensitive to cables than many other amplifiers. Like you, I'm using inexpensive stranded copper now.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(24-May-2015, 09:56)Mil46 Wrote: Good morning All. I am new to this forum and my first post. Ive had my D200 now for a month or so and think its great (apart from a couple of set up issues). I use it with ATC SCM19s and Chord Epic speaker cables. All in all I am delighted albeit a slight toppy treble. I have a pair if DNM Reson resolution speaker cable which are copper solid core which Id like to try. However I understand some amplifiers do not like solid core cables. Any views or thoughts on if I can try these on the D200 please?
Many thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I used a single solid core (AWG 10) for years which saw some really expensive cables off. Having said that, it worked prefect with Devialet and to my knowledge and what I heard from others it seems that the Devialet can take any type of cable. So have fun testing and finding the cable of your taste. Please tell us your impressions!

Now using a copper foil construction with great pleasure/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK