Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 & HD650, max level
Last week I bought a Sennheiser HD650 headphone.
My idea is to use it directly connected to the amp, without other "boxes".
I have just ordered a silver cable with two male RCA plugs amp side and Senn plugs hedphone side.
What would be in your opinion the best value for "Max Level" in the pre out settings?
Thank you, Alberto.
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
The HD650 specifications say it has 300 ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 103 dB for 1 mW input at 1 kHz.

The headphone power calculator at http://www.digizoid.com/power.php gives you a convenient way to work out how much power (and hence voltage and current) the amplifier needs to provide to reach a given sound pressure level.

For example to achieve "very loud" output (115 dB SPL) on the HD650 it says you'll need about 16 mW power which in turn requires the amplifier to deliver 2.18 V rms.  Therefore I'd suggest setting the maximum output level from the stereo pre-amp outputs to somewhere in the range 2 to 2.5 V rms; at least that might be a good starting point for experimentation.  If you cranked the output level up to the maximum 4 V rms, you'd be able to deliver up to about 53 mW into the headphones which is still well within their 500 mW maximum rating so you won't damage the headphones (although you might damage your hearing!)

However, be aware that this assumes the pre-amp outputs have a low enough output impedance to drive the headphones properly.  In other words, to reach the 16 mW power output (for example) the pre-amp outputs also need to be able to deliver at least the corresponding output current which is about 7 mA rms.

Ideally the pre-amp outputs should have an output impedance at least ten times lower than the impedance of the headphones you're driving, which would be less than 30 ohms in your case.

I don't know what the output impedance of the Devialet's pre-amp outputs actually is, but I guess it's higher than 30 ohms - remember, it's mainly intended to drive line inputs of other audio equipment which usually present a much "easier" (higher impedance, typically 47 kohm) load than headphones, so it's probably not optimised for delivering current into a low-impedance load.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thank you Ian for yor answer.
I don't really know the output impedance of the D200 pre-amp, but I asked a few weeks ago to Devialet and answer was "the best headphone impedance range in order to match your LE 200 is headphones in the 200-600 ohms region", so I assume it would be ok for my HD650.
Now my level output is 2V and I need to turn up the volume to have a good pressure level, so I will try to put the max level to 2.5V.
Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
My pleasure.

Following up the point about output impedance: the ratio between the pre-amp output impedance and the headphone impedance will determine how much of the output signal actually reaches the headphones. Using lower-impedance headphones means that a smaller fraction of the output will actually reach them, and this fraction will likely vary with frequency which might upset the tonal balance to some extent. With that in mind, I expect what Devialet meant to say was that the higher the impedance of your headphones, the better they will be driven by the pre-amp output.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK