Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
D200 Mod 2.0.1
(22-Dec-2016, 10:09)Duomike Wrote: Finally I can report the results of this tweak which I completed last Friday.
Main thing is getting the riser board out. There are 2 ways:

remove the whole cpu which I would not dare to do.
cut the riser board just next to the xlr socket (this is not reverseable!)

I chose 2. The riserboard is quite tough and I used a 40 cm long sawing blade from a metal saw. This was quite an effort.

I let the dev run at low volume for 12 hours a days for 5 days. After 12 hours I had a first listen.  Not good, sound was bit hard and edgy.
Gave the dev another 50 hours and had a listen this morning and had a smile on my face. The clarity and transparency improved probably because some kind of distortions were removed by the tweak. Soundstage seems more 3d and dynamics have a higher jump factor which I love.

Can't comment on the bass cause my dev is only driving the horns of my Duos. I think sound will improve with more burn in but I'm already quite happy with the result.

Anyone who is interested to do this tweak can contact with any questions they may have: mikebier1@yahoo.com.  I also took some close up pics which I send in full resolution to anyone interested.

Michael

Ps.
Forgot to mention that I used teflon isolated solid core silver wire and wbt silver solder for the tweak.
Also replaced the binding post with nexgen ones I still had.

Hi Michael,

we are in privat contact...but I want to advise others not to use a sawing blade rather than a side cutter. If you see the picture of the 4 riserboards I posted above you can just cut off the XLR-Pins close to the riserboard. You will need a small side cutter with one plane side for this to work. If you want to reverse the mod you could even buy the exactly same Neutrik XLR socket new (6€) and solder it to the riserboard to get an origninal riserboard...not a problem at all.

Makes me happy that the mod is achieving better sound for someone else. I know from Michael that his mod has not enough hours of burn in yet but it is already sounding promising as he says.
So, be brave or you can ask me if you live nearby.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Hello everyone.

I really didn't know where to ask this but since there seams to be knowledgeable people here i thought i would give it a go.

This evening i was playing around trying different power cables and i think i have killed my D200. After un plugging a Less Loss and then plugging in a Crystal cable i got absolutely nothing... completely dead. So i wonder if the Dev have fuses and could it be a simple fix of perhaps replacing said fuse... or am i dreaming and this is going to be bigger than Ben Hur ??

It is very very strange... i have swapped cables in and out before without issue. Maybe there was something waiting to happen and it is a mere coincidence.

Anyway, if i open it up will i find an easy to replace fuse ? Is it likely to be the problem ?

Cheers
James
(22-Dec-2016, 16:18)Saunter Wrote: Hello everyone.

I really didn't know where to ask this but since there seams to be knowledgeable people here i thought i would give it a go.

This evening i was playing around trying different power cables and i think i have killed my D200. After un plugging a Less Loss and then plugging in a Crystal cable i got absolutely nothing... completely dead. So i wonder if the Dev have fuses and could it be a simple fix of perhaps replacing said fuse... or am i dreaming and this is going to be bigger than Ben Hur ??

It is very very strange... i have swapped cables in and out before without issue. Maybe there was something waiting to happen and it is a mere coincidence.

Anyway, if i open it up will i find an easy to replace fuse ? Is it likely to be the problem ?

Cheers
James

Hi James,
no problem to ask here.

Open the bottom plate of your D and after that unscrew 4 screws of the Power Filter Board shown in the pic. Then gently lift it from the motherboard. On it you have two SMD-Fuses 6.3A T (orange arrows). Take a Multimeter and measure if both fuses have a short circuit between the contacts soldered to the board. If they have they are ok. Then you have to send your amp to Devialet.
If they are burned (no short) you can buy some new online or give the Power Filter Board to someone who can change the fuses for you. Quick & easy job...you can wait for it.

It might be that you just so rarely picked up an electrical impuls on the power line and blew up the fuses. Remember not to change power cables quickly with in a second. Just leave it unpluged for at least 5 seconds. Then plug in the other cable. This way the amp can even out the voltage on its input.

If you are able to solder you can solder any other 6.3A T fuses to the Power Filter Board. But soldering must be done quick on the fuses not to ruin them.

gui

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

berlin
Hi yabaVR,

Thank you very much for the informed reply..
The photo really helps.

I will have a look tonight and see whats up..

Thanks again.
I would be very careful here. Fuses blow for a reason. If you're not 100% sure about what you're doing, get a professional to look at it. You could potentially up for some big $$ cost if things go pear shaped.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(23-Dec-2016, 08:21)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I would be very careful here. Fuses blow for a reason. If you're not 100% sure about what you're doing, get a professional to look at it. You could potentially up for some big $$ cost if things go pear shaped.

As James did a power cord comparison and his D went dead while he was constantly replugging the cords it is most likely that he perfectly timed to plug in a new cable while there was a surge on the power line or he did the change of the PCs too quick. If his D had no issues before that would most likely be the reason.
If he changes the (blown) fuses for new ones with the exact same value and his D has a permanent failure it would just blow the fuses again. He has to send it to Devialet then.

gui
berlin
Hmmm.. apart from losing the 5 year warrantee .. you would also lose the 2nd hand selling price...
I would NEVER even consider buying a previously modded or tinkered with Devialet and I would hope you didnt hide the fact that you had a go at it from a prospective purchaser ..
BUBBA WUZ THERE!!!!
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(24-Dec-2016, 08:39)Rodney Gold Wrote: Hmmm.. apart from losing the 5 year  warrantee .. you would also lose the 2nd hand selling price...
I would NEVER even consider buying a previously modded or tinkered with Devialet and I would hope you didnt hide the fact that you had a go at it from a prospective purchaser ..
BUBBA WUZ THERE!!!!

This is not Rocket-Science...only some fuses Rolleyes

gui

p.s. Exchanging fuses in an amp doesn't void warrenty...but if afraid ask Devialet first
berlin
Im not talking about changing fuses.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(24-Dec-2016, 13:55)Rodney Gold Wrote: Im not talking about changing fuses.

Ah ...ok. It wasn't apparent to me.
If I were selling my D it would be100% including the mods. It's that good, it's an argument to buy it. Actually a friend of me compared my D200 to another, sold his Jadis amp, bought a new D200 and l had to do the mods straight out of the box. He said 'A warranty wouldn't give him any sound improvement. It would only be a sedative for his anxious mind'.
So, claims are personal and very different Wink

gui
berlin