Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound quality with trigger cable
Hi folks,

New to the forum and recently went from a 250 Pro to 1000 Pro CI. Thought I'd like to share a finding and see if anyone has tried the same.

I'm currently using the stock Audioquest Carbon digital RCA-RCA cable between the master and slave units. This are no other cables connecting the 2 amps together. The only other cable connecting to the amp is the AES XLR input.

I'm a little worried about the potential ground loop created between the 2 amps because of the RCA-RCA master slave cable. Both amps are connected to the same power strip to keep their grounds as close as possible. 

This combination sounded fine.

Then, I decided to try connecting the included 3.5mm trigger cable between master and slave amps. I first created new configurations with at least one input on the slave activated, and this make the configurator indicate that I should connect the trigger cable between the 2 amps.

After connecting the trigger cable, the sound changes a little. The soundstage is a little different, more even perhaps - I'm not sure which I prefer. My theory is that the trigger cable becomes another path for the ground loop noise to travel instead of the RCA interconnect.

Anyone tried testing the sound with & without the trigger cable, and noticed any changes?

EDIT: Merely connecting the trigger cable changes the sound. It may not be better.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
I haven't tested this on current hardware/firmware, but the trigger cable used to reduce power consumption, which can improve sound quality by lowering temperatures.
(19-Aug-2019, 23:15)deviousalet Wrote: I haven't tested this on current hardware/firmware, but the trigger cable used to reduce power consumption, which can improve sound quality by lowering temperatures.

I read about that in another thread. But I suspect the difference in sound is probably more due to electrical noise (ground loop noise?) traveling between the units. I tested with a configuration having no trigger / sources from slave, and just connecting the trigger cable in this case already changes the sound. Does it sound better or worse? That's subjective but it certainly sounds slightly different.

In my system I now prefer the sound without the trigger cable connected - it sounds a big bigger and more punchy. With the trigger cable connected, it sounds more even with the soundstage a bit farther back.
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
I
(20-Aug-2019, 10:42)hardcore Wrote:
(19-Aug-2019, 23:15)deviousalet Wrote: I haven't tested this on current hardware/firmware, but the trigger cable used to reduce power consumption, which can improve sound quality by lowering temperatures.

I read about that in another thread. But I suspect the difference in sound is probably more due to electrical noise (ground loop noise?) traveling between the units. I tested with a configuration having no trigger / sources from slave, and just connecting the trigger cable in this case already changes the sound. Does it sound better or worse? That's subjective but it certainly sounds slightly different.

In my system I now prefer the sound without the trigger cable connected - it sounds a big bigger and more punchy. With the trigger cable connected, it sounds more even with the soundstage a bit farther back.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
Agree that there is a modest improvement without the trigger cable. I find there is slightly better definition of the soundstage boundaries, along with a blacker background. YMMV.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
(24-Aug-2019, 02:27)ralph411 Wrote: Agree that there is a modest improvement without the trigger cable.  I find there is slightly better definition of the soundstage boundaries, along with a blacker background. YMMV.
Another thing to try is - no trigger cable - but connect a short, decent wire between the grounding posts (the one near the phono input) of the master & companion amplifiers. This ties their grounds together - it may sound better or worse. In my system it sounds a bit brighter, soundstage is farther back, but less punchy.

Also experimenting with putting a ferrite on the ground cable between master & companion - this seems to improve detail and soundstage (with ground cable).