Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D2D converters for Devialet
Hi a bunch of my crazy audio friends have tried out the likes of Weiss INT204 and Audiophilleo AP1 and apparently have had their jaw drops on the differences they made when compared to the built in USB inputs of quality DACs.

These D2D converters converts USB outputs to SPDIF and are supposed to clean things up and provide better clocking.

I wonder how these converters compare with the Ethernet and USB inputs of the Devialet?

I am current using Ethernet in with a Mac mini server. My Squeezebox Touch USB our does not work with the Devialet. These converters will also have the benefit of enabling the Squeezebox Touch USB output.

Does anyone have experience with these USB converters?
Couple of weeks ago I had Dcs Vivaldi Upsampler at home. It is both a d2d and server with a usb disk attached.
The result was pretty amazing.
I did not try it connected to a computer though. Both dlna input and usb disk attached had a very robust, dynamic and clear sound.
The cost is too much so it is just a good memory now.

If you are using a computer, try the ethernet connection. I believe the sound is much better than usb.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(09-Jul-2014, 07:40)Kunter Wrote: Couple of weeks ago I had Dcs Vivaldi Upsampler at home. It is both a d2d and server with a usb disk attached.
The result was pretty amazing.
I did not try it connected to a computer though. Both dlna input and usb disk attached had a very robust, dynamic and clear sound.
The cost is too much so it is just a good memory now.

If you are using a computer, try the ethernet connection. I believe the sound is much better than usb.

Interesting, I used to own the Debussy, the lowest end of the dCS chain and it was very nice.

I am using the Ethernet input currently. Just wondering how it would compare with a good USB to SPDIF D2D converter.

I already placed an order for an Audiophilleo AP1
On my D-Premiers, before the wifi cards and Air were available I used my Metric Halo ADC/DAC recorder as a firewire to AES/EBU converter for streaming from my computer using Amarra.
After Devialet sent me the wifi kits and I fitted them most of my time was spent trying to get consistent results from Air version 1, which was an immature product to say the least (IMHO) to do an easy comparison but the only reason I stopped using the Metric Halo was convenience and box count. The SQ was superb.
USB to SPDIF converters may or may not be as sophisticated as the Metric Halo, but quite honestly I was totally happy with the SQ.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(09-Jul-2014, 03:47)agentsmith Wrote: Hi a bunch of my crazy audio friends have tried out the likes of Weiss INT204 and Audiophilleo AP1 and apparently have had their jaw drops on the differences they made when compared to the built in USB inputs of quality DACs.

These D2D converters converts USB outputs to SPDIF and are supposed to clean things up and provide better clocking.

I wonder how these converters compare with the Ethernet and USB inputs of the Devialet?

I am current using Ethernet in with a Mac mini server. My Squeezebox Touch USB our does not work with the Devialet. These converters will also have the benefit of enabling the Squeezebox Touch USB output.

First of all, my Squeexebox Touch works with the Devialet USB input. Devialet is luckily using the XMOS USB chip which is very well supported in Linux. Touch needs the EDO fix and I also must confess I run squeezelite on the Touch for better quality.
I used a Stello U3 USB to S/PDIF converter (also XMOS) for a long time with my D-Premier before updating to a 250. The U3 sounds very very nice, but today I get better sound by going direct to USB on the 250. AIR Ethernet is even better than USB, but as long as the AIR virtual sound card for Windows is sometimes loosing sync and producing white noise I am a bit careful.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(06-Aug-2014, 23:31)ogs Wrote:
(09-Jul-2014, 03:47)agentsmith Wrote: Hi a bunch of my crazy audio friends have tried out the likes of Weiss INT204 and Audiophilleo AP1 and apparently have had their jaw drops on the differences they made when compared to the built in USB inputs of quality DACs.

First of all, my Squeexebox Touch works with the Devialet USB input. Devialet is luckily using the XMOS USB chip which is very well supported in Linux. Touch needs the EDO fix and I also must confess I run squeezelite on the Touch for better quality.
I used a Stello U3 USB to S/PDIF converter (also XMOS) for a long time with my D-Premier before updating to a 250. The U3 sounds very very nice, but today I get better sound by going direct to USB on the 250. AIR Ethernet is even better than USB, but as long as the AIR virtual sound card for Windows is sometimes loosing sync and producing white noise I am a bit careful.

I were unable to get my squeezebox touch with triod mod to work with devialet. Which firmware did you pick? really appreciate if you would share your insight!
(07-Aug-2014, 04:37)warpeon Wrote:
(06-Aug-2014, 23:31)ogs Wrote: First of all, my Squeexebox Touch works with the Devialet USB input. Devialet is luckily using the XMOS USB chip which is very well supported in Linux. Touch needs the EDO fix and I also must confess I run squeezelite on the Touch for better quality.

I were unable to get my squeezebox touch with triod mod to work with devialet. Which firmware did you pick? really appreciate if you would share your insight!

Edit: I have posted some info on this in the Classroom. http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Squeezebo...o-Devialet
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB