Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D400 Route or new speakers
In my room I am very limited in where I can place the speakers as its also my living room.
Recently made some changes like some bass traps etc. I now feel the room is right.....or as right as I am prepared to get it.

So now I am looking at the next upgrade path
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I would say that you actually need a complete upgrade strategy. There is no doubt that for anyone with a D200, that upgrading to a D400 is a good idea. It is not just about the additional power, because in dual mono mode the configuration of the amplifiers is different, halving distortion levels and giving an amplifier that sounds far smoother and "higher definition". The additional headroom is of course a bonus, but depending on the speaker can give smoother treble and better base control. and so on.

That said, running a pair of PMC 23's with a D400 does look a little bit like overkill.

So at the moment, you are asking the question, speakers or amp. Well if you decide to go with different speakers, then the D400 upgrade will remain a tempting option at a future date,

So I think what you should do is decide what your ultimate end point would be, consisting of a D400 and speakers worthy of a D400. Then you just have to decide which order to do the upgrades in.

Ideal speakers for a D400? That is probably a very long list! A list running through a very wide price range. Over the last couple of years I've seen a D400 demonstrated with SF Olimpica's, KEF Blades, Wilson Audio's and others. How far dare you go? (!)
(19-Dec-2015, 12:10)Confused Wrote: I would say that you actually need a complete upgrade strategy.  There is no doubt that for anyone with a D200, that upgrading to a D400 is a good idea.  It is not just about the additional power, because in dual mono mode the configuration of the amplifiers is different, halving distortion levels and giving an amplifier that sounds far smoother and "higher definition".  The additional headroom is of course a bonus, but depending on the speaker can give smoother treble and better base control. and so on.

That said, running a pair of PMC 23's with a D400 does look a little bit like overkill.

So at the moment, you are asking the question, speakers or amp.  Well if you decide to go with different speakers, then the D400 upgrade will remain a tempting option at a future date,

So I think what you should do is decide what your ultimate end point would be, consisting of a D400 and speakers worthy of a D400.  Then you just have to decide which order to do the upgrades in.

Ideal speakers for a D400?  That is probably a very long list!  A list running through a very wide price range.   Over the last couple of years I've seen a D400 demonstrated with SF Olimpica's, KEF Blades, Wilson Audio's and others.  How far dare you go? (!)

Great post again thanks. You make some good points as always. I think in my head the new speakers will be the next step. The ones you mention will probably just be out of my price range. I could find say 3 to 4 k now or possibly around 6k say nine months down the line.
It makes sense to wait but you know what it's like it's the shiny new toy now syndrome .. That's why a second hand companion could be bought now, but yes it makes sense to go speakers first.
Like I say above if I get new speakers then a second hand companion would probably be a no brainer at a later date......depending on cash I guess.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(19-Dec-2015, 08:06)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(19-Dec-2015, 03:36)rwjr44 Wrote:
(18-Dec-2015, 19:12)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I guess it will help but don't put all your trust in it; The first calculation it says to hang my speakers 75cm behind the wall and the Cardas calculation tells me I have to sit in the neighbour's garden  Sad
I get along fine with them but since we're all in high set homes I wonder how they feel about me setting up a ladder in their yard. Tongue

Really?  Big Grin I've used that site many times to get in the ball park. Too funny.

Try it: 11.8 wide, 6.9 deep.

Weird! Big Grin  I reversed the numbers and... the positions look better in all except Real trap 38% option 2. I'll send noAudiophile an email about this iff I find his email address. If I ever get the time, I'll run the equations manually and see what the problem is. The numbers produced may be accurate but his program logic is too rudimentary to indicate that the results are nonsense or there is a "bug" in the code.
I normally use the Cardas formula which is easy to verify and works pretty good as a first ballpark position.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(19-Dec-2015, 17:53)rwjr44 Wrote:
(19-Dec-2015, 08:06)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(19-Dec-2015, 03:36)rwjr44 Wrote: Really?  Big Grin I've used that site many times to get in the ball park. Too funny.

Try it: 11.8 wide, 6.9 deep.

Weird! Big Grin  I reversed the numbers and... the positions look better in all except Real trap 38% option 2. I'll send noAudiophile and email about this iff I find his email address. If I ever get the time, I'll run the equations manually and see what the problem is. The numbers produced may be accurate but his program logic it too rudimentary to indicate that the results are nonsense or there is a "bug" in the code.
I normally use the Cardas formula which is easy to verify and works pretty good as a first ballpark position.

Jim Smith says in his book the average distance between all the speakers he has set up over the years by ear turned out to be 87% the width of the distance from tweeter to listener. So I started out with that as a starting point. I don't have the space to move into the room any further than what they are so can't really work with that. So the voicing sounds ok but the bass is still a bit muddled. Those sizes (11.8x6.9) by the way, are for my new living room that's not finished yet.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Dec-2015, 17:59)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(19-Dec-2015, 17:53)rwjr44 Wrote:
(19-Dec-2015, 08:06)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Try it: 11.8 wide, 6.9 deep.

Weird! Big Grin  I reversed the numbers and... the positions look better in all except Real trap 38% option 2. I'll send noAudiophile and email about this iff I find his email address. If I ever get the time, I'll run the equations manually and see what the problem is. The numbers produced may be accurate but his program logic it too rudimentary to indicate that the results are nonsense or there is a "bug" in the code.

Jim Smith says in his book the average distance between all the speakers he has set up over the years by ear turned out to be 87% the width of the distance from tweeter to listener. So I started out with that as a starting point. I don't have the space to move into the room any further than what they are so can't really work with that. So the voicing sounds ok but the bass is still a bit muddled. Those sizes (11.8x6.9) by the way, are for my new living room that's not finished yet.

That is the problem of this hobby. We always have to compromise. Fortunately, we can close our eyes and still enjoy the music.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Im in a similar position to you with a modestly priced speaker. All be it very good speakers in their price range they are as Confused said a bit of a miss match with the Devialet. Sure my system does sound better in D400 configuration over a single D200. However if I only had a D200 my money would be going towards a speaker upgrade as I believe that is where the bottle neck is and the greatest sound quality gain can be extracted.

As for speaker suggestions ...well that is the million dollar question and one that can only be answered with auditions
I will be interested to see where this takes you as a speaker upgrade is my next move once I have sufficient funds Wink
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(18-Dec-2015, 07:01)Womaz Wrote: In the next couple of months I could have the cash for the next upgrade to my system.

It is listed below. I am wondering where I will get the biggest improvement either getting the Companion and going to a 400, or spending a similar amount of cash on new speakers. There is also the possibility that a Companion could be bought second hand

My room is 14ft x 23ft, and the speakers can only be a foot from the back wall.

Any opinions welcome as always
Personally I should spend my money to new (other) speakers, because I think that a good match between Devialet 200 and the right speakers will give you a better sound and so more satisfaction than a 400 setting with less good matching speakers.

The reason why I say this is that I owned PMC Twenty 24 speakers for many months and I found them always to enthusiast, energetic, and clinical/bright sounding in the highs, especially in hard spaces with poor acoustics. If you match them with a more ''laid back'' and darker sounding amp you can expect a reasonable good sound, but if you have a more cleaner and accurate sounding amp like the Devialet 200 is, the sound will be ''too much'' i.m.o.

During the several visits I brought to my dealer (one of the best selling and experienced Premium Devialet dealers here in Netherlands) I have heard so many different combinations of Devialet amps with a wide range of speaker brands and types. Some combinations were sounding very good, some were reasonable, and others were sounding so bad that I almost couldn't recognize the Devialet sound.
Devialet - Magico (S1 and S3) is a very good (but expensive) combination, but besides my personal preference (Devialet - Kharma) I have heard a combination which sounded so good, full bodied and well balanced to me that I was getting the feeling that these speakers were designed to match seamless with Devialet.
The speaker where I'm talking about is the Egglestonworks ''The Isabella''
I don't know if you do like the looks, but their sound will definately impress you and it,s a wonderful match with the Devialet 200.

http://egglestonworks.com/products/the-i...signature/

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraud...nature.htm
Amp: Devialet 200 // Renderer: Streacom FC-5 Alpha based audio pc with HDPlex 100W LPS - HDPlex 250W ATX UPS - PPA PCIe USB V2 - Roon Labs core - JPlay - Fidelizer Audio Pro  // Speakers: Kharma 3.2 CE black label upgrade // Active sub: Eton Hexacone 10 '' with Hypex DS 4.0 // Cables: Siltech Explorer 180 L - Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000 + IeGo 8055 - Furutech FP-3TS20 + IeGo 8055 - Acoustic Revive USB 1.OPLS - Belden cat.7 1885 ENH + Telegartner MFP8

Womaz,

Like you, I am very restricted in terms of speaker placement in my room, which is very similar to yours in dimensions. It also has asymmetrical walls/ open area and so I am certain that I get erratic reflections depending on the balance of the music. Also like you, I've become more acutely aware of the importance of the room to the quality of the sound reproduction; especially as it affects some of the finer aspects of sonic space, or staging, or tactility of the sound (use any other audio-adjective that suits).

I expect that in your room there is a benefit in a front ported speaker, like your PMC's as I imagine that this makes proximity to the rear wall less critical. However any speaker with a narrow baffle may still have sound that wraps around the speaker, and then bounces off the back wall. (wall behind the speakers, I mean). So would something in a more conventional box, like a Harbeth be a consideration?

I'm also wondering what sort of improvement or change you want. Are you looking for 'more' of the sonic character you have? So, would 'more PMC' be what you want or are you looking for a different personality? Sonus Faber would, to me, definitey be a different sort of character, regardless of niggles like bass or treble performance.

I think that i could live with a variety of speakers, but I don't think I would change the Devialet. To me, it is giving me the source, the material, the way I like it. Different speakers then flavour the music the Devialet provides. My GamuT's give a very easy, natural sound, which is also easy, or gently, on the treble side. The other day I listened to some PMC FACT 3's (stunning price and used for one day only before being returned by the original buyer). They are a completely different character; fast, incisive and more taut, I thought, than the 20 series. So if you wanted 'more PMC' then such a thing might be the path to follow. Or, as was suggested by JeanF, Magico makes some amazing speakers. Just not so easy on the bank balance. Selling the 20 23's will help, certainly.

You can get 'more Devialet' and I doubt that would be a disappointment, but the sonic flavour of your system, in your room, would be very similar, I would guess. So, if you want a change as much as an upgrade, then different speakers would seem to be the way to get that change.

Interesting dilemma.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Try DIrac ..14 days free trial..amazing what it can do to "fix" the sound.. that and maybe a few first reflection panels done to look like artwork will optimise your sound..$1k or less...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room