Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D440 or D1000 for Sopra 2
I had a D200 years ago but was frustrated with Devialet Air. 
Finally sold it and went with something else.

Is Devialet Air better these days? I use Roon. Either Wifi or ethernet is fine, but Roon is important for me.

Also, which is a better fit for the Sopra 2?  
D440 or D1000?  i have an opportunity to update a set of D-premier to D1000, so the price difference is a few thousands between D440 and d1000 for me. Is it worth spending the extra?

thanks
(09-Nov-2020, 05:52)burgundy Wrote: I had a D200 years ago but was frustrated with Devialet Air. 

Is Devialet Air better these days? I use Roon. Either Wifi or ethernet is fine, but Roon is important for me.

D440 or D1000?  i have an opportunity to update a set of D-premier to D1000, so the price difference is a few thousands between D440 and d1000 for me. Is it worth spending the extra?

thanks

I can provide a partial answer. Roon is very important for me also and it was a key part of the decision to switch from my Hegel H390 to a Devialet Expert pro 220 (with Core Infinity). I wasn't interested in using Devialet Air etc. either.
The Dev was 'Roon Ready', where Hegel is still working on it a year later. There were however some bugs in the Roon support (drop-outs etc. when connecting via Gigabit ethernet). These bugs have largely been fixed in the latest firmware (at least for me). So Roon works perfectly for me on my D220, via Ethernet.

As to the choice between a D440 and a D1000, others will have to provide input.
(09-Nov-2020, 05:52)Borgogna Wrote: Avevo un D200 anni fa ma ero frustrato con Devialet Air. 
Alla fine l'ho venduto ed è andato con qualcos'altro.

Devialet Air è migliore in questi giorni? Io uso Roon. O Wifi o Ethernet vanno bene, ma Roon è importante per me.

Inoltre, qual è la soluzione migliore per Sopra 2?  
D440 o D1000? ho l'opportunità di aggiornare un set di D-premier a D1000, quindi la differenza di prezzo è di poche migliaia tra D440 e d1000 per me. Vale la pena spendere un extra?

Grazie

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-D400-vs-D220
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
I would go for 440. 440 is more forgiving and has a warmer sound.
Power is more than enough!
(09-Nov-2020, 05:52)burgundy Wrote: I had a D200 years ago but was frustrated with Devialet Air. 

thanks

Both the 440 and 1000 are Roon Ready so that means you have a choice of using Roon with either AIR or RAAT over ethernet or wifi. The only problem with RAAT and ethernet is there are still some problems if you're using a gigabit connection but using either wifi or a 100 MB ethernet connection work fine with RAAT. There are no issues with AIR that I am aware of.

As to the question of using a 440 or 1000 with Sopra 2, I'd say save your money and go for the 440 or even just a 220. You could even do what I do and drive a pair of Sopra 2s in a 30 sq meter room with a 140. You won't need a 1000 in my view unless you have a huge room and/or you want an early case of noise induced hearing loss. I run my 140 at around -20 dB or lower on the volume control most of the time.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I can think of a third option.

You state that you have the opportunity to update a set of D-premiers. Could you get just one to update to a 250 Pro?

How much this might appeal to you would depend on costs and if the "single box" approach appeals to you more than dual mono.

From what I have read in the past, the delta between the 250 Pro and 1000 Pro is modest. (smaller than the difference 250 Expert to 250 Pro, but ultimately the difference would be dependent on speaker choice and other factors)

I have seen comments that the 250 Pro outperforms the 440 Pro, and comments to the contrary, so this one is debatable. I am not sure which would be most cost effective in your case?

What can be said with a degree of confidence is that the 250 Pro offers the ultimate "one box" performance within the Devialet range, together with the nicer case and remote versus the 220/440. It also offers the possibility to upgrade to the 1000 Pro in the future.

A lot of personal choice here, but something to think about maybe?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Nov-2020, 07:05)pvanosta Wrote:

thanks

I can provide a partial answer. Roon is very important for me also and it was a key part of the decision to switch from my Hegel H390 to a Devialet Expert pro 220 (with Core Infinity). I wasn't interested in using Devialet Air etc. either.
The Dev was 'Roon Ready', where Hegel is still working on it a year later. There were however some bugs in the Roon support (drop-outs etc. when connecting via Gigabit ethernet). These bugs have largely been fixed in the latest firmware (at least for me). So Roon works perfectly for me on my D220, via Ethernet.

How does the Hegel sound compared to your 220?  
That’s another option for me. But I am leaning toward a 1 box solution.
Thanks
(09-Nov-2020, 10:52)Confused Wrote: I can think of a third option.

You state that you have the opportunity to update a set of D-premiers.  Could you get just one to update to a 250 Pro? 

How much this might appeal to you would depend on costs and if the "single box" approach appeals to you more than dual mono.

From what I have read in the past, the delta between the 250 Pro and 1000 Pro is modest.  (smaller than the difference 250 Expert to 250 Pro, but ultimately the difference would be dependent on speaker choice and other factors)

I have seen comments that the 250 Pro outperforms the 440 Pro, and comments to the contrary, so this one is debatable.  I am not sure which would be most cost effective in your case?

What can be said with a degree of confidence is that the 250 Pro offers the ultimate "one box" performance within the Devialet range, together with the nicer case and remote versus the 220/440.  It also offers the possibility to upgrade to the 1000 Pro in the future.

A lot of personal choice here, but something to think about maybe?

Any idea when the Pro will be replaced? It’s been 4-5 years.
It would suck if i do the upgrade now and a version is released shortly after
(09-Nov-2020, 12:58)burgundy Wrote:
(09-Nov-2020, 07:05)pvanosta Wrote:

thanks

How does the Hegel sound compared to your 220?  
That’s another option for me. But I am leaning toward a 1 box solution.
Thanks
The D220 sounds better than the Hegel if you use the Hegel's internal Dac. I too was looking for a one-box solution, but I found i could not live with the Hegel's internal DAC and teh fact that there was no Roon Ready support put the final nail in the Hegel coffin for me. Note: in a TWO-box solution, using an Auralic Vega G1 streaming DAC as a Roon endpoint and then balanced to the Hegel, that sounded noticeably better than the D220, but it's not a one-box (and to make matters worse, I needed a 3rd box to play vynil as the hegel does not have a phono section)
(09-Nov-2020, 13:00)burgundy Wrote: Any idea when the Pro will be replaced? It’s been 4-5 years.
It would suck if i do the upgrade now and a version is released shortly after

I have no idea when (or even if) the Pro will be replaced, as far as I am aware nobody does.  Furthermore, Devialet are one of the most unpredictable companies on the planet, so it really is anyone guess.  One point I would make is that the Pro upgrade came about almost by accident.  Devialet had the Expert series, and decided to make a 100 off batch of limited edition items, the Original D'Atelier.  The Development of the Original D'Atelier was was so successful that it naturally lead to the development of the Pro.  So it would be a little misleading to look at the time between the Expert and Pro as an indication as to when a new model will be announced.  This is just my thoughts on the matter, as I mentioned before, I really have no idea what Devialet may or may not be planning. 

This does beg a question, you mentioned you could obtain a set of D-Premiers, are you not tempted just to run these?  I very much enjoyed my time with my "old" Expert D250  / D800. (which sound much the same as the D-Premier)  You could try running the integrated Roon AIR, which should be stable.  Just (another) thought.

@pvanosta - A little off topic, but I am curious.  You mentioned that you did not like the DAC in the Hegel H390, may I ask why?  I was luck enough to hear a demo of the Hegel H190 versus the H590 earlier this year.  I actually really liked the H590, but found the H190 a little dull and closed in by comparison, hence I was wondering why you did not like the H390 DAC.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12