Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D600
Has anyone added a 200 to there 400? 400 to drive bass and the 200 in stereo to drive mids and high.
Devialet did...sort of...

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Munich-2018?page=8
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
i have a 400 ,Could i use a 220 as the master driving high and mids. And 400 bass?
(29-Jul-2018, 10:51)dylanttt Wrote: i have a 400 ,Could i use a 220 as the master driving high and mids. And 400 bass?

Yes you can, provided ou have a way to bypass the pssive crossover on your speakers. With some speakers (like those of Naim audio for example) this is very easy: the passive crossover is externally mounted on back of the cabinet and feeds each driver through a separate connection (e.g. separate wires + banana plugs). 

I was able to drive the 2-way Naim SBL in purely active mode. Their passive crossover was removed altogether.  One D200 was used to drive the high-mid driver and the other D200 to feed the bass driver. I used the high/low-pass settings in the "speakers" section of the on-line Devialet configurator to tailor the speaker output of each D200. For details, search for my thread entitled "Going active with a two-way speaker" on this forum. I found this setup to be extremely successful: the SBL's sounded much better that when used with their passive crossover fed by a dual-mono D400.

I did another experiment with the much larger 3-way Naim DBL's. In that case, I kept the passive crossover to feed both the midrange and the tweeters, using one D200 in high-pass mode, while the bass drivers were fed directly by the other D200. I found this configuration slightly better than using the passive crossover for all drivers, but the difference was much less pronounced than with the 2-way SBL, no doubt because the passive crossover remained in the way.

Pierre
(12-Aug-2018, 16:56)pisabell Wrote:
(29-Jul-2018, 10:51)dylanttt Wrote: i have a 400 ,Could i use a 220 as the master driving high and mids. And 400 bass?

Yes you can, provided ou have a way to bypass the pssive crossover on your speakers. With some speakers (like those of Naim audio for example) this is very easy: the passive crossover is externally mounted on back of the cabinet and feeds each driver through a separate connection (e.g. separate wires + banana plugs). 

I was able to drive the 2-way Naim SBL in purely active mode. Their passive crossover was removed altogether.  One D200 was used to drive the high-mid driver and the other D200 to feed the bass driver. I used the high/low-pass settings in the "speakers" section of the on-line Devialet configurator to tailor the speaker output of each D200. For details, search for my thread entitled "Going active with a two-way speaker" on this forum. I found this setup to be extremely successful: the SBL's sounded much better that when used with their passive crossover fed by a dual-mono D400.

I did another experiment with the much larger 3-way Naim DBL's. In that case, I kept the passive crossover to feed both the midrange and the tweeters, using one D200 in high-pass mode, while the bass drivers were fed directly by the other D200. I found this configuration slightly better than using the passive crossover for all drivers, but the difference was much less pronounced than with the 2-way SBL, no doubt because the passive crossover remained in the way.

Pierre
Do you think i would get the benefit of the 220 sound . By using the 400 to drive the bass?