Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D800 upgrade to pro1000 SQ reviews
Hi everyone,

I hardly found reviews from those who did the upgrade D800 to pro1000.
Would you do it all over again and why?

Thanks
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France
definitely yes for me. SQ has improved in important areas and it offers new possibilities.
But I have only payed half the money they want to have now...
I would do it all again with no hesitation whatsoever. The improvement in overall sound quality is very good with more upper frequencies showing off and a tighter fuller bass you will be well happy. Sounds better to me than my Naim 552/300 based system.
Go with it!
Cheers,
Bill
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
I did an upgrade from D-Premier to 1000pro and would do it again for SQ, getting current feature-set, extending warranty, resale value etc. but first and foremost was SQ.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Thank you for your answers but seems few has moved from D800 to 1000 Pro...
System 1 : D800, Piega Classic 80.2, Lumin A1, NUC/Wintel +SSD, Roon lifetime Qobuz sublissime Tidal Hifi subscription 
System 2 : D400, JM Reynaud Cantabile Sublime, Roon.
France
I have done the upgrade from D800 to D1000 Pro Core Infinity. I am happy with this upgrade and I would definitely do it again. I haven’t done any blind testing between D800 vs D1000 Pro but I have a strong feeling that D1000 Pro sounds slighly better and it has & will have the features that I need (for example perfectly well working WiFi, AirPlay, Roon RAAT) without buying any extra boxes. The Roon RAAT is the most important upcoming new feature for me. The upcoming integrations with Qobuz, Tidal etc will be also nice although I wouldn’t use them on daily basis.

Streaming with D800 was pretty much limited to AIR that never worked for me so that’s why I really wanted to get rid of using AIR. Also WiFi never worked well on D800.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Wink 
I also upgraded my D800, first to 1000 Pro and later to 1000 Pro CI. Both times there has been a substantial improvement in sound quality (even my non-audiophile girlfriend noticed it right away…both times) and though I still don’t use any of the streaming features, just adding the CI board improved the sound quality significantly, I suspect due to an improved clock.
In my experience the source you use is very important in overall sound quality and I’m still very happy with my Aurender X100, but what makes that combo really excel is the Crystal Dreamline Plus USB cable I use!
In retrospect, to get a major improvement twice means that the devialet was probably the weakest link in my system….now I’m not so sure anymore :-)
Aurender X100L - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Vivid Audio GIYA G4
Silent Angel Bonn N8 - Shunyata DENALI 6000/S Version 2
Crystal Cable Dreamline Plus USB - Crystal Cable Reference Diamond Speaker
Crystal Cable Reference Diamond Power
Since 2013, I have moved from D240/250, then Dual mono D800, then to 1000Pro.  The short answer to your questions are I would do it again, and the key reason is an improvement in sound quality.

I think I am one of the few people who has been lucky enough to listen to a D800 and 1000Pro back to back.  I wrote about this at the time, see link:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Expert-1...ght=Oxford

The above was two years ago now, but the key parts of those first observations stand.  The main improvement I find with the 1000Pro is it's ability to realistically reproduce the details in the music.  Far greater insight is provided, but in a very natural way, even two years after getting the 100Pro this aspect is still surprising and delighting me.

So how big is the jump from D800 to 1000Pro?  Obviously there are limits to how big a jump this can be, after all, the D800 is a fine product in it's own right, so there has to be a limit.  What I would say is that the step from D800 to 1000Pro is far greater than the step from D250 to D800.

One surprise with the Pro was just how good the performance of AIR is, particularly after inclusion of the CI Board.  To explain this, with the D800 I was running a microRendu feeding a Mutec MC3+USB, feeding the Devialet via AES/EBU. This set up gave a very nice improvement in sound quality with the D800.  With the 1000Pro, a back to back comparison between AIR and the mR Mutec set-up was almost a dead heat.  So if AIR works for you, then the Pro almost gives you a decent quality source for free.  I have been trying very hard recently to get a source that materially improves on AIR, this has been hard work, but I have got there now.  With my current set-up, I kind of feel that I have arrived at a place that I have been trying to get to for years, I could not be happier with the 1000Pro.

As an aside, a short time after doing the D800 / 1000Pro A/B test I was lucky enough to spend an hour or so listening to a full dCS rig, running DAG mono blocks and Wilson Audio speakers.  This was a very, very, expensive system, something like £120K, before you add cables + speakers.  This system was excellent, but I listened to it with exactly the same demo music that I had used for my earlier D800/1000Pro audition.  Did I think the dCS system was in another league?  No, it was frighteningly close to what the 1000Pro could achieve.  The dCS / DAG rig might have edged things in terms of dynamics, but overall I would say comparable, despite the £100k price difference.  I'd love to put the dCS rig in to a back to back test with a 1000Pro, maybe even blind, but the dealers don't seam keen on doing this!  So I think that if you are looking for definitively better than the 1000Pro, you would struggle to find it at any price, you might find something subjectively you prefer, but not definitively better.  There is a "law of diminishing returns" with audio products, I think the 1000Pro must be near the top of the curve.

So in summary, yes, I would do it again!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(18-Sep-2018, 10:25)petrik Wrote: I have done the upgrade from D800 to D1000 Pro Core Infinity. I am happy with this upgrade and I would definitely do it again. I haven’t done any blind testing between D800 vs D1000 Pro but I have a strong feeling that D1000 Pro sounds slighly better and it has & will have the features that I need (for example perfectly well working WiFi, AirPlay, Roon RAAT) without buying any extra boxes. The Roon RAAT is the most important upcoming new feature for me. The upcoming integrations with Qobuz, Tidal etc will be also nice although I wouldn’t use them on daily basis.

Streaming with D800 was pretty much limited to AIR that never worked for me so that’s why I really wanted to get rid of using AIR. Also WiFi never worked well on D800.

Air integration with Roon is perfect for me. Both my D400 and D800 work fine with Roon so Raat is nice to have option. SQ gap is due also by other factors. Thanks
I actually had an extra D250 Pro on hand when my D1000 returned from its CI upgrade. Based on side-by-side comparisons of the D250Pro against the D250CI, it was clear that the upgrade was worthwhile. The sound was more open, with more resolution. This was evident within the first 10 minutes of listening. But what was most interesting to me was that the improvement from adding the second unit to go to the full D1000CI was considerably less than the difference going from the D250Pro to the D250CI. I suspect the very best bang-for-the-buck upgrade solution is finding a cheap, used d-Premier, upgrading it to the current D250CI, and leaving it at that! (That said, I'm still keeping my D1000CI.)
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.