Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEVIALET POWER AMP, Will there ever be a power amp...
(24-Apr-2021, 08:59)David A Wrote: I do believe that all current models, not only the dual amp models, do handle all of their processing at a higher rate than 24/192.

That is certainly possible. At least models with the CI board installed. I may have read the white paper you mention, but technical insights like that tend to disappear from Devialet's web. Marketing people don't see value in that kind of information.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
This is from Devialet site.
https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/amplifier...-pro-dual/

This is the converter: https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1792
It has 24-Bit 192 kHz sampling.
I suppose that 32-Bit inputs are downsampled to 24-Bit...
I like this forum! One learns something every day

Having had friends with Devialets for some years and owning one myself, I'd say that you have to spend quite a bit more to get a product that sounds better

I enjoy my music much more nowadays and have stopped hankering after an unattainable upgrade. That's what I tell myself anyway
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
(24-Apr-2021, 10:20)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: This is the converter: https://www.ti.com/product/PCM1792
It has 24-Bit 192 kHz sampling.
I suppose that 32-Bit inputs are downsampled to 24-Bit...

Well, I guess that answers that question, at least for the current models, and I was wrong. Now I'm really wondering what the document I saw on Devialet's site was.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    I'm a bit surprised that nobody knew what sample rate they Expert converts to. It's actually an option when you use an analog input to choose between 24/96 and 24/192 in advanced settings.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-Apr-2021, 00:43)Pim Wrote: I'm a bit surprised that nobody knew what sample rate they Expert converts to. It's actually an option when you use an analog input to choose between 24/96 and 24/192 in advanced settings.

Be careful, those settings are only affecting the ADC of the analog inputs, absolutely not the the bit depth nor the sampling frequency of the DAC. 

I’m absolutely positive, although I cannot find back the paper from Devialet stating it that internally, floating point is used, so there is a decoupling between the bit depth of the inputs and what is submitted to the DAC. 

The same holds for frequency which once again, but my memory could betray me, I remember to have read to be above 192kHz which mean perfect sense to be able to do the kind of DSP work that SAM requires. 

Jean-Marie.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
For what it's worth, I recall seeing 40-bit floating-point at 384 kHz as the internal operating sample depth and rate. If I remember correctly, the 40-bit floating-point format is supported natively by SHARC DSPs so this isn't as random as it might at first appear.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Apr-2021, 09:05)thumb5 Wrote: For what it's worth, I recall seeing 40-bit floating-point at 384 kHz as the internal operating sample depth and rate.  If I remember correctly, the 40-bit floating-point format is supported natively by SHARC DSPs so this isn't as random as it might at first appear.
Your recollection is correct, here is an example:  (notably this predates the Pro series)

https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/d...al-8-1.pdf

MAT DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40 bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage), the MAT algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly outstanding performances
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Apr-2021, 10:48)Confused Wrote:
(25-Apr-2021, 09:05)thumb5 Wrote: For what it's worth, I recall seeing 40-bit floating-point at 384 kHz as the internal operating sample depth and rate.  If I remember correctly, the 40-bit floating-point format is supported natively by SHARC DSPs so this isn't as random as it might at first appear.
Your recollection is correct, here is an example:  (notably this predates the Pro series)

https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/d...al-8-1.pdf

MAT DSD Core technology converts the DSD format into Expert internal native PCM 40 bits / 384 kHz format thanks to an optimized algorithm, limiting the amount of computational operations on the audio stream. Using only 15 bit perfect additions (no multiplication, no storage), the MAT algorithm performs a 128 taps, linear phase FIR (Finite Impulse Response) digital filter ensuring the conversion of the DSD format into internal native PCM format with truly outstanding performances
^
|_____ This absolutely. 

Thanks to @thumb5 more accurate recollection I was able to find the same document as @Confused but was too slow. 

Kudos to both!

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France