Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 & Flac
Hi,

I can´t seem to find any videos/reviews on youtube of DOS2.. Trying to understand a bit more before I upgrade.. 

If you have a lot of Flac files 24/192 - and you use Spark to play.. Where does that end up with DOS2? 

Some people mention "UPNP Server" and use a client, I tried that setup bubble and used mConnect - but is that really the best option? The IOS app mConnect is terrible to use. What other options are there?

Also, Can you use more than two Phantoms in a room with DOS2 at this point? 

And if you have a stereo pair connected via optical to say a TV, how does that change with DOS2? Now it will auto detect Media Center and start playing at volume 35. What happens when you have DOS2?

Hope someone can help shed some light on DOS2 for those of us who have not upgraded yet.
(08-Dec-2019, 19:40)hydr Wrote: Hi,

I can´t seem to find any videos/reviews on youtube of DOS2.. Trying to understand a bit more before I upgrade.. 

If you have a lot of Flac files 24/192 - and you use Spark to play.. Where does that end up with DOS2? 

Some people mention "UPNP Server" and use a client, I tried that setup bubble and used mConnect - but is that really the best option? The IOS app mConnect is terrible to use. What other options are there?

And if you have a stereo pair connected via optical to say a TV, how does that change with DOS2? Now it will auto detect Media Center and start playing at volume 35. What happens when you have DOS2?

Hope someone can help shed some light on DOS2 for those of us who have not upgraded yet.

+1 Thanks, i have exactly the same questions
(08-Dec-2019, 19:40)hydr Wrote: Hi,

I can help a bit with your first question.

You would need a new media player with DOS 2 to replace spark. To play hi res over the network it needs to support UPnP otherwise the machine it is running on will need to be connected directly to one of the Phantoms or a dialog via Toslink.

I use Audirvana for playing hi res (from Qobuz/Tidal and my own library) and like it a lot. I think the UI is very nice but the “best option” will always be a matter of taste. There is a remote app for iOS, although I haven’t tried it myself. Another option is Plex, although I haven’t used it for a very long time. Both of these are solid commercial offerings that have stood the test of time. They are certainly among the better options out there.

Your other option is Roon. You could set up a Phantom as a separate zone and then group it with the stereo pair to play the same thing. This requires all the grouped zones to be connected over the same protocol. Roon will also index and play FLAC files, however playing hi res would require a Toslink connection which would then prevent you grouping with the other speaker(s).

To the best of my knowledge surround sound is not supported in either DOS 1 or 2. What is the use case and how are you supporting it today with DOS 1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plex uses DNLA which Devialet does not support no?

I thought the majority of Phantom owners listened to HiRes Flacs - but after seeing Dos2 released and how few people ask about it I guess not.

Not looking for surround sound, just trying to understand how the player works with regards to say Stereo set connected to a TV. I wish there was a youtube video out there showing the DOS2 / app and how it worked. I want to upgrade simply because I want to get regular updates for my system, but DOS1 does work for me now. Its a pickle :-)
(09-Dec-2019, 13:14)hydr Wrote: Plex uses DNLA which Devialet does not support no?

I thought the majority of Phantom owners listened to HiRes Flacs - but after seeing Dos2 released and how few people ask about it I guess not.

Not looking for surround sound, just trying to understand how the player works with regards to say Stereo set connected to a TV. I wish there was a youtube video out there showing the DOS2 / app and how it worked. I want to upgrade simply because I want to get regular updates for my system, but DOS1 does work for me now. Its a pickle :-)

No I agree, it seems that hi res interest seems to be very marginal. And with DOS 2 it is clear that Devialet’s priority is streaming services and mobile clients (with a very minor concession to AV use in the form of Toslink). At least as far as this initial release is concerned the rest of us can take it or leave it. Personally I am just waiting for RAAT (Roon’s own streaming protocol), then I’ll be happy.

DLNA is built on UPnP so most products that support the former support the latter. However you can always turn a UPnP endpoint into DLNA with BubbleUPnP.

The app is no longer a player, that is the big architectural change. Right now all it does is setup/pairing, input selection and volume. I have never used the optical input nor connected to my TV so I can’t help with those questions, sorry.

Hopefully someone else here has some experience and will chime in. @seb I saw you answered some similar questions in another thread. Can you help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, I am happy to share my experience with UPnP. Basically UPnP works the same way in DOS1 and DOS2. I tested if I would like this setup before I upgraded. You have to make a choice if you would like to create a system which in a way resembles the functionality of Dialog, or if you are fine with a more simple setup.

The “basic” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and a player app (e.g. mConnect) that would stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> app -> Phantom or server -> app -> Phantom.

The “efficient” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and Bubble UPnP. What Bubble UPnP does, is that creates an additional “layer” on top of UPnP which is the OpenHome protocol. OpenHome allows you to control playlists on your server. This resembles the functionality of Spark on Dialog. You can access and control these playlists from multiple devices. What you need is a control point app (I use Linn Kazoo and LUMIN) that manages the music stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> server -> Phantom or server -> Phantom. There are many more apps (see also my thread) available. Audirvana is probably the best solution and it would also allow to stream via optical as well as UPnP. I do not regret switching to UPnP. It works quite well and playlist management is way better now.

You would only need the Devialet app to choose or switch the input source. The UPnP control point app volume settings are mirrored in the devialet app in real time. So once setup, there is no real need to use the devialet app for listening to music. Regarding the automatic switching of inputs it is a bit unclear. I have not tested the possible scenarios and I have a mobile device with Devialet app close, so it is not a big deal for me.

I have kept my Dialog as I need it for AirPlay and it is also nice to have an additional optical input somewhere in the room e.g. for a TV, DAC, Server, or turntable.

Regarding multi room features we have to wait for implementation in DOS 2. This right now is only possible with DOS1.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(09-Dec-2019, 16:28)seb Wrote: Sure, I am happy to share my experience with UPnP. Basically UPnP works the same way in DOS1 and DOS2. I tested if I would like this setup before I upgraded. You have to make a choice if you would like to create a system which in a way resembles the functionality of Dialog, or if you are fine with a more simple setup.

The “basic” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and a player app (e.g. mConnect) that would stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> app -> Phantom or server -> app -> Phantom.

The “efficient” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and Bubble UPnP. What Bubble UPnP does, is that creates an additional “layer” on top of UPnP which is the OpenHome protocol. OpenHome allows you to control playlists on your server. This resembles the functionality of Spark on Dialog. You can access and control these playlists from multiple devices. What you need is a control point app (I use Linn Kazoo and LUMIN) that manages the music stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> server -> Phantom or server -> Phantom. There are many more apps (see also my thread) available. Audirvana is probably the best solution and it would also allow to stream via optical as well as UPnP. I do not regret switching to UPnP. It works quite well and playlist management is way better now.

You would only need the Devialet app to choose or switch the input source. The UPnP control point app volume settings are mirrored in the devialet app in real time. So once setup, there is no real need to use the devialet app for listening to music. Regarding the automatic switching of inputs it is a bit unclear. I have not tested the possible scenarios and I have a mobile device with Devialet app close, so it is not a big deal for me.

I have kept my Dialog as I need it for AirPlay and it is also nice to have an additional optical input somewhere in the room e.g. for a TV, DAC, Server, or turntable.

Regarding multi room features we have to wait for implementation in DOS 2. This right now is only possible with DOS1.

Really comprehensive and crystal clear.  Thanks!
So would a pathway of web(e.g Tidal Masters/Qobuz Studio)>Audirvana (on iMac) > stream (via UPnP local network) to Phantom potentially give a full 24 bit/192hz ?

OR 

To get the full resolution would you have to have a hardwired connection from the iMac to the Phantom with a toslink cable via a usb/toslink adapter such as this one cited elsewhere on this site i.e. https://soundimports.eu/en/usbstreamer
(12-Dec-2019, 00:06)Pwalder Wrote: So would a pathway of web(e.g Tidal Masters/Qobuz Studio)>Audirvana (on iMac) > stream (via UPnP local network) to Phantom potentially give a full 24 bit/192hz ?

OR 

To get the full resolution would you have to have a hardwired connection from the iMac to the Phantom with a toslink cable via a usb/toslink adapter such as this one cited elsewhere on this site i.e. https://soundimports.eu/en/usbstreamer
Apologies.....should be:
https://www.soundimports.eu/en/usbstreamer-boxed.html
(12-Dec-2019, 00:06)Pwalder Wrote: So would a pathway of web(e.g Tidal Masters/Qobuz Studio)>Audirvana (on iMac) > stream (via UPnP local network) to Phantom potentially give a full 24 bit/192hz ?

OR 

UPnP would allow a full resolution flow. You can actually test it with DOS 1 if you feel curious how you will like it.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)