Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 Stereo Setup
Hey everyone! first post here.

I am in an internship right now, and we are trying to figure out different sound issues with two silver phantoms/dialog and Spotify. Sometimes the music just happens to stop playing and they usually have to reset or just let things fix itself.

I've been doing a good bit of research and found things about DOS2 and the fact that you don't need a dialog anymore. We have them setup through ethernet cables right now and then a dialog is plugged into the router as well. Could someone please guide me through the setup process of migrating to DOS2 and then how to plug in everything correctly to get this system more reliable? 

One more thing, I already know that you have to have the newer Devialet app instead of the SPARK app for DOS2. I am just scared to say I have this solution and then mess things up and make it worse!

thanks

P.S I am always on my computer, so I can respond pretty quickly!
(25-Sep-2020, 17:05)ManwithaPlan Wrote: Hey everyone! first post here.

I am in an internship right now, and we are trying to figure out different sound issues with two silver phantoms/dialog and Spotify. Sometimes the music just happens to stop playing and they usually have to reset or just let things fix itself.

I've been doing a good bit of research and found things about DOS2 and the fact that you don't need a dialog anymore. We have them setup through ethernet cables right now and then a dialog is plugged into the router as well. Could someone please guide me through the setup process of migrating to DOS2 and then how to plug in everything correctly to get this system more reliable? 

One more thing, I already know that you have to have the newer Devialet app instead of the SPARK app for DOS2. I am just scared to say I have this solution and then mess things up and make it worse!

thanks

Devialet migration guide is a good place to start.
(25-Sep-2020, 17:18)alandbush Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 17:05)ManwithaPlan Wrote: Hey everyone! first post here.

thanks

Devialet migration guide is a good place to start.

Yea I definitely read that earlier! I think I am more worried about the actual setup with the wires and what all I need to make sure I have everything complete.
(25-Sep-2020, 22:02)ManwithaPlan Wrote: Yea I definitely read that earlier! I think I am more worried about the actual setup with the wires and what all I need to make sure I have everything complete.
Welcome to the forum...

Have the 2 Phantoms plugged in with Ethernet cables, and disconnect the Dialog. Start the Devialet App and follow the instructions.
Hi, related question - about DOS2 and using the Dialog or not with a stereo pair.  I'm running DOS2 and using the Dialog, with two pairs of phantoms.
The dialog is the best Optical source i have found for me.   The speakers are on the wall or in another room , with Ethernet and power but no optical cable to the speakers.  

I'm curious if i could get two dialogs working to have two optical sources. one dialog source for each "Pair"

i know i can use the optical input on the speakers but the speaker input is not conveniently placed like the dialog is with the rest of the source gear.

1) is there a better way to connect optical under DOS2? 

2) Has anyone tried more than 1 dialog?  I presume it would just work as another device on the network and in the app to assign?

thanks!
scott
(27-Sep-2020, 05:09)scotthar Wrote: Hi, related question - about DOS2 and using the Dialog or not with a stereo pair.  I'm running DOS2 and using the Dialog, with two pairs of phantoms.
The dialog is the best Optical source i have found for me.   The speakers are on the wall or in another room , with Ethernet and power but no optical cable to the speakers.  

I'm curious if i could get two dialogs working to have two optical sources. one dialog source for each "Pair"

i know i can use the optical input on the speakers but the speaker input is not conveniently placed like the dialog is with the rest of the source gear.

1) is there a better way to connect optical under DOS2? 

2) Has anyone tried more than 1 dialog?  I presume it would just work as another device on the network and in the app to assign?

thanks!
scott

I contacted Devialet Support about using several Dialogs a couple of months ago and they said it wasn't possible, nor did they plan to make it possible.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(27-Sep-2020, 05:09)scotthar Wrote: Hi, related question - about DOS2 and using the Dialog or not with a stereo pair.  I'm running DOS2 and using the Dialog, with two pairs of phantoms.

Found that Ethernet easily beat optical for sound quality.  Can you use UPnP to feed the Phantoms via Ethernet?

@njaiswal came up with the innovative way of using a BlueSound Node 2i to feed Phantoms via optical in a multi room setup.  Perhaps you can do the same?
(26-Sep-2020, 05:19)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 22:02)ManwithaPlan Wrote: Yea I definitely read that earlier! I think I am more worried about the actual setup with the wires and what all I need to make sure I have everything complete.
Welcome to the forum...

Have the 2 Phantoms plugged in with Ethernet cables, and disconnect the Dialog.  Start the Devialet App and follow the instructions.

I will definitely try this on Monday when I go into the shop! I hope I can get it to work Smile
(27-Sep-2020, 11:19)Snoopy8 Wrote:

Found that Ethernet easily beat optical for sound quality.  Can you use UPnP to feed the Phantoms via Ethernet?

@njaiswal came up with the innovative way of using a BlueSound Node 2i to feed Phantoms via optical in a multi room setup.  Perhaps you can do the same?

I would love to use UPNP and have tried multiple times, but cant find a suitable replacement for my library software, that also does UPNP and does it all really well.

I will keep trying but at this point dont know of anything that is GOOD REALLY GOOD.  WMP is about the best runner up from an experience perspective but its also hinky, and crusty, and not really a good option other than it DOES do UPNP fairly well. its really about the playback and user experience more than the sound quality in this case. 

Audiology whatever it was called looked sort of promising, but does not handle touch screens properly.
I may try it again when and if they actually implement touch properly as they have "promised".

And still have not met a UPNP app that works as well as a native playback app.
I've tried to get musicbee (my primary playback app) to work with UPNP but the plugin has never worked for me.

Aside UPNP everyway i have seen it is weird i dont want to "send to" or "play to" or "throw" my music tracks a track or album at a time, i want to click play and have it start, or click DJ and let it entertain me without thinking, etc. aside I am loathe to change my library software - just way too large and too much time and energy invested in the playlists, organization, etc, to randomly start over. 

SORRY that's a bunch of nay-saying  and appreciate your FINE suggestions - technically good stuff -  THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTING.

I will look into the other option you mention.  Problem is i also DON'T want to run OPTICAL to the speakers hanging on the wall, or run optical in the wall, that's what the network cable is supposed to be for right!?

Really considering dante like soltuion is probably what i am looking for.

I would go with the Dante -> Ethernet to Optical solution, this is my leading theoretical option.

thanks again for the suggestions
scott-
(29-Sep-2020, 10:59)scotthar Wrote: I would love to use UPNP and have tried multiple times, but cant find a suitable replacement for my library software, that also does UPNP and does it all really well.
I have been using MinimServer running on an Intel NUC and BubbleUPnP app on Android for a number of years.

(29-Sep-2020, 10:59)scotthar Wrote: Really considering dante like soltuion is probably what i am looking for.

I would go with the Dante -> Ethernet to Optical solution, this is my leading theoretical option.
If your source is a PC, there is a Dante virtual sound card that you can use and your will need an adapter for each Phantom.  There are some  products which can convert digital to Dante e.g JBL ADP-55, Trinnov MC Pro.  But Dante is is more for Pro Audio products.  All of them are expensive.

This thread is worth reading
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Custom-R...-and-Dante

You could convert an analog signa to Dante, but that is a compromise.