Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD file issue
I tried playback DSD files by Astell & Kern DAP.
The optical output can port to Dialogue Toslink sucessfully.

Any other Desktop type "Network player" have similar DSD to PCM Digital to Digital Conversion function can work with Phantom?
I am using JRiver Media Server.  It converts and streams almost every format (including DSD) to dialog and also to my iphone.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
Dialog doesn't support DSD?
(15-Feb-2016, 04:33)Dimsyboy Wrote: Dialog doesn't support DSD?

The Phantoms' internal DAC technically supports DSD but as far as I know Spark does not play DSD files.

Dialog can play DSD but it's not that simple.  Let's say the source music is 352khz 64 bit. Dialog currently accepts optical SPDIF which cannot transfer more than 24 bits and 192khz. Since Spark is currently useless for this purpose, you need a media server that can convert this source.  I can feed to dialog in two formats; all redbook music is converted to 24 bit 96khz (upsampling) and all DSD is sent as 24bit and 192khz (downsampling), otherwise it won't play. What formats you can use is also determined by the soundcard or other hardware that you own. For example, soundcard output on my MacPro3,1 tops at 24/96.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(15-Feb-2016, 14:50)sekriT Wrote:

Dialog can play DSD but it's not that simple.  Let's say the source music is 352khz 64 bit. Dialog currently accepts optical SPDIF which cannot transfer more than 24 bits and 192khz. Since Spark is currently useless for this purpose, you need a media server that can convert this source.  I can feed to dialog in two formats; all redbook music is converted to 24 bit 96khz (upsampling) and all DSD is sent as 24bit and 192khz (downsampling), otherwise it won't play.  What formats you can use is also determined by the soundcard or other hardware that you own. For example, soundcard output on my MacPro3,1 tops at 24/96.

So, I read that as it doesn't support DSD? If its being down-sampled its not really DSD, which is 1 bit at various (high)speeds.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-Feb-2016, 16:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

Dialog can play DSD but it's not that simple.  Let's say the source music is 352khz 64 bit. Dialog currently accepts optical SPDIF which cannot transfer more than 24 bits and 192khz. Since Spark is currently useless for this purpose, you need a media server that can convert this source.  I can feed to dialog in two formats; all redbook music is converted to 24 bit 96khz (upsampling) and all DSD is sent as 24bit and 192khz (downsampling), otherwise it won't play.  What formats you can use is also determined by the soundcard or other hardware that you own. For example, soundcard output on my MacPro3,1 tops at 24/96.

So, I read that as it doesn't support DSD?  If its being down-sampled its not really DSD, which is 1 bit at various (high)speeds.
You are right, conversion is NOT supporting. I did try the hybrid format which is DOP (DSD over PCM), but while the file was then recognised by Spark, and it looked like it was playing with the time counter moving, all I got was silence.
(15-Feb-2016, 16:28)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

So, I read that as it doesn't support DSD?  If its being down-sampled its not really DSD, which is 1 bit at various (high)speeds.

Yes, you cannot play DSD files in phantom without conversion. Dialog has the hardware capability for DSD however Phantoms are limited at 24/192.  If Devialet writes the code in the future for dialog to read directly from the DLNA server and stream to Phantoms in 24/192, we wouldn't need third party software. We are limited by the software, not the hardware.
(15-Feb-2016, 17:36)sekriT Wrote: We are limited by the software, not the hardware.

In a nutshell :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk