Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD over PCM question
Hi
My Melco can be set up to either of two options depending on the USB-DAC.

PCM over DSD
Convert to PCM

Which one should I use on the 200?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I would suggest the DSD over PCM (DoP) because it MAY sound better. Why? The Devialet converts (someone correct me if I am wrong) everything to 40 bit 384 kHz for processing. If you set the Melco to convert DSD to PCM, you are adding another processing step which may not be transparent.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(12-Nov-2015, 16:18)rwjr44 Wrote: I would suggest the DSD over PCM (DoP) because it MAY sound better. Why? The Devialet converts (someone correct me if I am wrong) everything to 40 bit 384 kHz for processing. If you set the Melco to convert DSD to PCM, you are adding another processing step which may not be transparent.

Brilliant thank you, thats what i have it set at now.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
i dont know if we have the full story on what upsampling is done or when it is done.

you should try both! as soon as hq player is integrated into roon im going to spend a lot of time figuring out the best sampling rates
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(12-Nov-2015, 15:25)Womaz Wrote: Hi

PCM over DSD
Convert to PCM

(12-Nov-2015, 23:11)completeluxury Wrote: i dont know if we have the full story  on what upsampling is done or when it is done.

you should try both! as soon as hq player is integrated into roon im going to spend a lot of time figuring out the best sampling rates

I understand your desire to experiment, I do a lot of experimenting myself. The point is that whatever we do before it enters a Devialet, the Devialet will convert that to 40/384. Perhaps there is some synergistic combination that will make the Devialet sing? Undecided
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(13-Nov-2015, 18:02)rwjr44 Wrote:
(12-Nov-2015, 15:25)Womaz Wrote: Hi

PCM over DSD
Convert to PCM

(12-Nov-2015, 23:11)completeluxury Wrote: i dont know if we have the full story  on what upsampling is done or when it is done.

I understand you desire to experiment, I do a lot of experimenting myself. The point is that whatever we do before it enters a Devialet, the Devialet will convert that to 40/384. Perhaps there is some synergistic combination that will make the Devialet sing? Undecided

I will categorically state that I have no desire or intention to experiment......none whatsoever!! Big Grin Big Grin
are you sure about the 40/384 though?

the 2 DAC's that it uses per channel are 24/192 each so wouldnt it convert it to 24/384?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
There's one DAC per channel. We already discussed this in a topic you yourself started...

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2051
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
haha sorry my bad. i meant basically if it uses 24/192 per channel, why would the output be 40/384 instead of 24/384
(12-Nov-2015, 23:11)completeluxury Wrote: i dont know if we have the full story on what upsampling is done or when it is done.

....... as soon as hq player is integrated into roon im going to spend a lot of time figuring out the best sampling rates

Completeluxury, I know it's not been integrated long, but did you happen to invest any time here, and if so, could you share in an HQPlayer thread perhaps?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<