Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DSD via USB
(31-May-2015, 21:55)LBameule Wrote:
(31-May-2015, 13:11)drdkey Wrote: Has anyone tried Bit Perfect's DSD master? I currently use a mac-mini and separate hard drive with iTunes/iPad as an interface with my D250 and Magico V2 speakers. I enjoy the easy interface/categorization with iTunes/iPad and can't get this with Audirvana yet.

Yes, I have. It works as it says on the tin. I like what I hear, that's about all I can say as I don't know what to expect from DSD in contrast to PCM...

I also remember reading somewhere "seriously audiophile" (I can't remember exactly what website) that converting DSD to PCM with DSD Master and then playing it as a PCM file sounded not just different (read better in this case) from "official" PCM files for that same record, but actually better that the original DSD... Something of course difficult to prove, but if you want the message to read is that using DSD Master and converting DSD files to PCM actually allows those who have DSD files to listen to them in a non DSD DAC, and listen to a better version in the end! I guess only your ears will be the true judge on that.

Cheers!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try and report back.
(31-May-2015, 13:11)drdkey Wrote: Has anyone tried Bit Perfect's DSD master? I currently use a mac-mini and separate hard drive with iTunes/iPad as an interface with my D250 and Magico V2 speakers. I enjoy the easy interface/categorization with iTunes/iPad and can't get this with Audirvana yet.

Yes, I have. It works as it says on the tin. I like what I hear, that's about all I can say as I don't know what to expect from DSD in contrast to PCM...

I also remember reading somewhere "seriously audiophile" (I can't remember exactly what website) that converting DSD to PCM with DSD Master and then playing it as a PCM file sounded not just different (read better in this case) from "official" PCM files for that same record, but actually better that the original DSD... Something of course difficult to prove, but if you want the message to read is that using DSD Master and converting DSD files to PCM actually allows those who have DSD files to listen to them in a non DSD DAC, and listen to a better version in the end! I guess only your ears will be the true judge on that.

Cheers!

L

My interpretation of my DSD experience is that different DSD conversion algorithm sound different (I have not heard obvious sound differences by converting PCM to different PCM formats as long as rate/bit depth is not changed). 
Most DSD recordings have intermittent PCM conversions and back for mastering/mixing purposes. I have never heard a pure DSD recording on a pure (1bit) DAC (not the standard sigma/delta converters). Would be interesting to compare it to a recording of the same event in PCM on a pure R2R ladder DAC!
(02-Jun-2015, 16:10)Music or sound Wrote:

Cheers!

L

My interpretation of my DSD experience is that different DSD conversion algorithm sound different (I have not heard obvious sound differences by converting PCM to different PCM formats as long as rate/bit depth is not changed). 
Most DSD recordings have intermittent PCM conversions and back for mastering/mixing purposes. I have never heard a pure DSD recording on a pure (1bit) DAC (not the standard sigma/delta converters). Would be interesting to compare it to a recording of the same event in PCM on a pure R2R ladder DAC!

Very interesting. I'd quite like to find out how the Devialet MAT algorithm compares to other conversions. I have very limited experience with DSD only owning 2 DSD albums... 

I tried comparing Jazz in the Pawnshop 64 DSD played through the Devialet (i.e. MAT) to converted on the fly by the totaldac d1 (which converts to 176.4kHz PCM), I did feel that MAT was superior but I probably need to do a bit more experimenting to form a proper view.

Just based on the 2 albums I have I have been very impressed with DSD. I just wish Devialet would hurry up and get 8.0 fixed so I can actually use it!  Rolleyes

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Perhaps for some interesting background info on DSD decoding/conversion:

http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2015/04/ana...s-mac.html
http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2015/04/ana...-sacd.html

I don't always agree with his conclusions but he (Archimago) writes nice informational articles.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Well I'm a little confused!!

I tried out DSD via Audirvana Plus 2 on USB to my Dev 200 with 8.0 firmware. Nice.

I have posted elsewhere that I felt sound quality had stepped down from 7.1.3, so I reverted back to that firmware at the weekend. A couple of days later (this evening) and I hit play on the DSD files in A+2, forgetting that I had downgraded the firmware, and it has played, no problem.

Only I can think is that A+2 has converted the DSD to PCM prior to feeding my 200. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Or just barking? Big Grin
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Well you're the only one who can check your own Audirvana settings and page 27/28 of the manual...RTFM! Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(02-Jun-2015, 21:49)Antoine Wrote: Well you're the only one who can check your own Audirvana settings and page 27/28 of the manual...RTFM! Wink

Doh! yes I should RTFM, in my defence I am new to all this DSD format Confused
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
BTW, which DSD64 format is supposed to sound better on Devialet via USB:

DSF or DFF
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(03-Jun-2015, 10:03)miro Wrote: BTW, which DSD64 format is supposed to sound better on Devialet via USB:

DSF or DFF

They should sound the same. But there is some controversy about that. The big difference is DFF doesn't do well with metadata and DSF does.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(03-Jun-2015, 07:37)AllenB Wrote:
(02-Jun-2015, 21:49)Antoine Wrote: Well you're the only one who can check your own Audirvana settings and page 27/28 of the manual...RTFM! Wink

Doh! yes I should RTFM, in my defence I am new to all this DSD format Confused

Of course I didn't mean to offend you! Smile On page 27/28 you can check the meaning of the settings you have set up. Audiorvana has an auto convert option which can convert DSD to PCM if it doesn't detect DSD/DoP capabilities from your DAC.

The Netherlands