Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSP processing and audio delay
Hi there,

There is a few other threads floating around regarding audio delays, while using the phantoms to watch TV/Movies. However, it's not clear if these noticable delays happen in all cases, or just for certain people (depending on how they connect to the phantoms, or dialog). I'm looking at purchasing two Golds, so it's important to clear up.

I would be connecting mine directly from the TV via optical ..to one of the Phantoms. Should I expect Lip-sync issues ? I've read that TV's with heavy/slow image processing, equalise any delays on the phantoms - but I guess that's just luck of the draw Wink. In other words, if TV/Movies are important, would I be risking being disappointed with a purchase ?

Many thanks!
For me, the delay has been inconsistent. Sometimes it's the "same" for a while, but then after a few weeks, or even a few days, it is different. So I just use VLC player to adjust as needed on the fly.
Right, thanks. Although, for regular TV, unless there is scope to delay the picture ..then, I'm assuming there will be unavoidable issues.
On your TV the optical out is natively in sync with the displayed picture. So since Phantom introduces delay, in the end you'll have delay.
The case where the TV processing delay may help is when you have a source ( set top box ...) which has optical sent directly to Phantom while HDMI is sent to TV. In that case the TV delay will reduce the Phantom delay

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Interesting. So it's looking more like a no, for using the Phantoms with a TV/Video source. I only really have an Apple TV as external source (TV Is via internal tuner), so all audio from the ATV goes via the TV. Would sending audio from the ATV, to Phantoms via airplay, alleviate any delay ?
Yes, to me it seems that airplay from ATV4 to the Phantom Golds is corrected for time delays. I do not use it often, but the times I used it audio was lipsync. Not so for optical out from a ATV3 or ATV2 to the Phantoms or Dialog.
I run my set top box HDMI into an Oppo 105d and then optical out to Phantoms, the Oppo has an the unusual option to set the audio delay to negative and that works for me. Ie it effectively delays the video. Oppo HDMI out to TV for video.
I have optical out from my TV into optical input on a digital preamp. Then optical back out to the Phantom with absolutely no audio delay what so ever. People talking are perfectly in sync. I dont use a Dialog.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(12-Jun-2017, 19:45)Silvertouran Wrote: I have optical out from my TV into optical input on a digital preamp. Then optical back out to the Phantom with absolutely no audio delay what so ever. People talking are perfectly in sync. I dont use a Dialog.

Good to know. So you are only using one Phantom then, correct?
(13-Jun-2017, 00:16)kameraguy Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 19:45)Silvertouran Wrote: I have optical out from my TV into optical input on a digital preamp. Then optical back out to the Phantom with absolutely no audio delay what so ever. People talking are perfectly in sync. I dont use a Dialog.

Good to know. So you are only using one Phantom then, correct?

Perhaps that's just pure luck, that everything is in sync - due to your TV processing being 'slow' ?. I'm assuming the preamp isn't adding barely any delay at all - so it's essentially the same as going directly from TV to the phantom. Or it could be that, the issue is only seen with stereo setups, due to dialog. It would really take someone to just experiment a bit - to find out.