Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSP processing and audio delay
Here no delay at all using 4 Golds + Dialog and connected from a last years SAMSUNG TV via TOS Link to Dialog.
Now Phantoms and Dialog are connected via LAN. Before I used PLC and Wifi where I had no delays as well.
I experience delay only when I watch something on my MAC and streaming Audio to Phantoms via Airplay
4 x Gold Phantom via LAN, 2 x Silver Phantom via LAN, Dialog, Remote, Tidal HiFi (Masters/MQA), Bluesound node II (TOS-link to Dialog, MQA), Roon (Mac)
(13-Jun-2017, 00:16)kameraguy Wrote:
(12-Jun-2017, 19:45)Silvertouran Wrote: I have optical out from my TV into optical input on a digital preamp. Then optical back out to the Phantom with absolutely no audio delay what so ever. People talking are perfectly in sync. I dont use a Dialog.

Good to know. So you are only using one Phantom then, correct?

Yes. I only have 1 Phantom which is why I've never bought a Dialog. Maybe I am just lucky  Tongue
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
(11-Jun-2017, 05:35)blodsbror Wrote: Hi there,

There is a few other threads floating around regarding audio delays, while using the phantoms to watch TV/Movies. However, it's not clear if these noticable delays happen in all cases, or just for certain people (depending on how they connect to the phantoms, or dialog). I'm looking at purchasing two Golds, so it's important to clear up.

I would be connecting mine directly from the TV via optical ..to one of the Phantoms. Should I expect Lip-sync issues ? I've read that TV's with heavy/slow image processing, equalise any delays on the phantoms - but I guess that's just luck of the draw Wink. In other words, if TV/Movies are important, would I be risking being disappointed with a purchase ?

Many thanks!

Hello! The answer is NO you will only experience lip sync delay if you try to Airplay/Bluetooth videos to your Phantom.
The optical cable bi passes the delay.
(05-May-2019, 15:10)Drew Wrote:
(11-Jun-2017, 05:35)blodsbror Wrote: Hi there,

There is a few other threads floating around regarding audio delays, while using the phantoms to watch TV/Movies. However, it's not clear if these noticable delays happen in all cases, or just for certain people (depending on how they connect to the phantoms, or dialog). I'm looking at purchasing two Golds, so it's important to clear up.

I would be connecting mine directly from the TV via optical ..to one of the Phantoms. Should I expect Lip-sync issues ? I've read that TV's with heavy/slow image processing, equalise any delays on the phantoms - but I guess that's just luck of the draw Wink. In other words, if TV/Movies are important, would I be risking being disappointed with a purchase ?

Many thanks!

Hello! The answer is NO you will only experience lip sync delay if you try to Airplay/Bluetooth videos to your Phantom.
The optical cable bi passes the delay.

=======

hi just to chime in here.

I think as long as you use bluetooth or airplay or wireless to connect to your speakers, there is a delay. For me using my very empirical testing (through my feels - didnt have a stopwatch)

Samsung Note 10+ 
Playing Avengers: Infinity War 4k format

Phone bluetooth to speakers, watching on the Samsung Note 10+
Phone --> bluetooth ---> 1 phantom classic : 500ms - 600ms delay (lips move, then words comes out later)
Phone --> bluetooth ---> 2 phantom gold + dialog : 600 - 700ms delay 
Phone --> bluetooth ---> Beosound 2 x 2 stereo paired : 1200ms - 1400ms delay
Phone --> bluetooth ---> Sonos Move : 1500ms+ delay (absolutely horrible)

Phone casting to Samsung 82Q90R, bluetooth speaker connection
Phone --> bluetooth ---> 1 phantom classic : 200ms - 400ms delay
Phone --> bluetooth ---> 2 phantom gold + dialog : 300 - 400ms delay 
Phone --> bluetooth ---> Beosound 2 x 2 stereo paired : 500ms - 600ms delay
Phone --> bluetooth ---> Sonos Move : 1000ms+ delay

Phone casting to Samsung 82Q90R, speakers connected by cable to TV
Phone --> mini TOSlink to TOSlink ---> 1 phantom classic : fully sync
Phone --> Ethernet ---> 2 phantom gold + dialog : about 100ms delay (TV can compensate for this, need to open menu & select) (both phantoms to 4 port switch, port 2 & 3. Port 4 to dialog, port 1 to router)
Phone --> 3.5mm to splitter to 2 x 3.5mm aux ---> Beosound 2 x 2 stereo paired : fully in sync
Phone --> 3.5mm aux ---> Sonos Move : fully sync

I think it's evident that as long as you try to introduce/force delay into video/audio source, you can sort of tailor your requirements as such. Phantoms are not your 'plug n play' sound bar, unfortunately. Confusedad face: