Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damon's System
Hello All,

This forum seems the only logical place to post this information, so here it is. Really, it is a thread to say that after being a a Naim-owning member, I have joined the ranks. Yesterday, Friday the 13th, I went to the dealer two blocks from my office and picked up a new Devialet 120. The old Naim Nait 3 and CD3.5 as well as the more recent UnitiQute have gone. 

I made four separate listening visits, and with each visit became more satisfied that Devialet provides the audio reproduction that I want. As the saying goes, 'I voted with my money'.

Even cold, out of the box, the sound improvement over the Naim was remarkable. If it gets better with time, that will be a delight, but I'm thrilled with it as it is. 

I'm posting two pictures, just to contribute to the mirth quotient of this thread. By the way, the D120 is wired to a QED impedance-matchng speaker switching box, so that I can also use the B+W in-wall speakers in the kitchen. I'm streaming from my iMac to an Airport Express and then using an optical cable to the D120. The speaker cable is Wireworld Polaris (fairly old). Presumably, ditching the switching box, and going to a wired computer or NAS would also yield improvements. 

A more appropriate shelf is in the future as well as better routing of the speaker cables; that will come when I redo the fireplace.

Finally I'd like to say 'thanks' to the other members who have been helpful in responding to my posts and private messages. Its a real bonus to have a great community to go with a great product. 

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Hi Damon,

Congratulations and welcome to the party!

It's hard to tell from a photo but it looks like your speakers are quite close together compared to your listening distance. What's the imaging like?

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Excellent!  Glad your 120 is settling in well. And I like your style - that looks like a lovely room.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Well done Damon! I know it took you a while to get there but I'm sure it's been worth the wait.

I've had my Devialet for about 8 months and the superb sound still makes me smile every time I use it Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks friends.

Pim van Vliet: the speakers are about 1.25 m/ 4' apart, and the centre chair is about 2.5m/ 8' back. Not ideal I know, but I find things are better away from the furniture. And since this is the living room, having more than one chair is not negotiable. ( I know because I've tried). The imaging is not bad; certainly the soundstage, or the big ball of music, with the Dev is twice the size that it was with the Naim. That is nice, but the way the Dev separates and unravels the components of the music is remarkable. There is a 'roundness', a front and a back to the sounds that I have not heard from my (entry level) Naim equipment, much as I liked it.

It is also interesting that sound 'picture'- imaging, perhaps- hangs together even when I am at my desk, which is about 5m or so back from the speakers. That is a complete change from before.

Thumb5: Thanks for the room compliments. Its a funny old house, so we stayed with the warmer style for the interior. Hey; just realized that your name and avatar are referring to a Warwick Thumb 5 bass. That is my guess, at least.

PhilP: Your input is always appreciated; your contributions on this forum and on the other side have been extremely helpful.  Even from a distance, I think I trust your ears, and your descriptions of your move to Devialet have been very helpful to me. And yes, it has been worth the wait. I relieved not to have moved to a Superuniti, and then discovered Devialet....

One final point; no UPnP and no N-stream or Naim app: an extra bit of bliss beyond the music!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(15-Feb-2015, 02:37)Damon Wrote: Thumb5: Thanks for the room compliments. Its a funny old house, so we stayed with the warmer style for the interior. Hey; just realized that your name and avatar are referring to a Warwick Thumb 5 bass. That is my guess, at least.

Well spotted, Damon.  It's a bit of an anachronism as I no longer play bass regularly, but I started using the name a while ago and have stuck with it.  I think the Thumb 5 is a fine piece of engineering and a thing of beauty in its own right.  I see you play bass too, but my eyes aren't up to spotting what's in your avatar...and we share an interest in things Italian!

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I've found some speakers work quite well close together. I'm thinking of some Totem Aros (I think they were) - small thin floorstanders. A dealer showed me how they sounded just about 2-3 feet apart and the imaging & width of soundstage was really quite remarkable.
(15-Feb-2015, 12:52)thumb5 Wrote: Well spotted, Damon.  It's a bit of an anachronism as I no longer play bass regularly, but I started using the name a while ago and have stuck with it.  I think the Thumb 5 is a fine piece of engineering and a thing of beauty in its own right.  I see you play bass too, but my eyes aren't up to spotting what's in your avatar...and we share an interest in things Italian!

Ian

Ian,
In my avatar I have a MusicMan Sterling; a great bass, but ultimately it was not the right sound in my hands. I've sold the collection and now just have two Fender P's; a '72 with a really slim neck and a Nate Mendel Signature copy. This bass has a SD quarter pounder PU in it, so is a less traditional sound. Funny thing is, I've never really liked Fender basses, and now I have two.... Many good things come from Italy, but I'll stick with the French for pastries, bread, and innovative digital amplification.

(15-Feb-2015, 13:19)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I've found some speakers work quite well close together. I'm thinking of some Totem Aros (I think they were) - small thin floorstanders. A dealer showed me how they sounded just about 2-3 feet apart and the imaging & width of soundstage was really quite remarkable.

Hi Rufus. I know the Totems. They are very narrow, and do image very nicely. In my cramped room I find the space behind my speakers has more of an effect on the soundstage than the distance between. I'd like to have more room altogether, but I'm working with the space I have.
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
My, how the years fly by! And embarrassingly, the fireplace has not been attended to. I'll say that the fireplace refinishing is Jamie's project (wife). You will see however that we've updated furniture, and painted the red wall a dark brown (Ben Moore Bittersweet Chocolate, with adjacent wall in White Down; I know you'll all be dying to know the exact colours).

First is a pic of the beautiful and sonically wonderful Lawrence Audio Violin SE's, now in their new home in Ontario. Now I've adopted a set of the Dali Epicon 2, in piano black. Much smaller and clearly a better fit for our space, and the black is very stealthy. I've always tried to avoid the audio or TV shine effect. 

The Dali Epicon 2's are wonderful speakers. Tonally, the integration from treble to bass is seamless, and the mids (guitars, violins) are among the best I've heard for space and richness. My exposure is limited, certainly, but these are captivating. Jamie describes them as, 'warm and luscious'.* The bass is tight and overall, this speaker is very fast. See pic of Jamie and cat enjoying Kate Bush, Hounds of Love (Tin Drum by Japan cued up next).

There is less bass volume than with the Violins, but the Dali's can be surprising sometimes. SAM helps open up the mids while giving a bit more delineation to the bass; that is consistent with what I've found SAM to do in then past. Absolutely fatigue-free sound, yet really engaging. 

Since my power cable doesn't fit under the rear cover, I just rest it one the black support arms, and everything is tidy. Sorry pictures are crap.

There you have it: all the updates in my audio world. Cheers to all.

*BTW, I'd like to authorize the term, 'luscious' as a legitimate adjective for equipment commentary. I guess I'll have to accept 'warm' as Jamie said it without prompting, but you know how I feel about that. 

Damon
Vancouver, Canada
Nice and clean set up. Congrats.
Enjoy.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.