Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decolouration Plastic
Mine went yellow too. I used mild detergent and kitchen tissue over cocktail sticks for hard to reach bits and damp kitchen tissue with mild detergent for the bits above the side speakers.
I originally thought it was heat discolouration but it comes off and I now think it's contamination attracted by heat and static to these area.
(25-Dec-2015, 20:12)superstock Wrote: Mine went yellow too. I used mild detergent and kitchen tissue over cocktail sticks for hard to reach bits and damp kitchen tissue with mild deterjent for the bits above the side speakers.
I originally thought it was heat discolouration but it comes off and I now think it's contamination attracted by heat and static to these area.

If that is the case, periodic cleaning is indicated. Otherwise the discoloration may become permanent due to heat and build up.
Me too, in the same place as others have reported on the mid drivers, non smoking home here too.

It was a worried buying white speakers that they wouldn't stay white, however I assumed for the cost the plastic would be treated appropriately to not discolour. I'm now quite concerned that the whole thing's going to go yellow... call to the hifi dealer on Tuesday for me...
On the plus side is better matching of the power cables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26-Dec-2015, 13:06)BowlOfPetunias Wrote: Me too, in the same place as others have reported on the mid drivers, non smoking home here too.

It was a worried buying white speakers that they wouldn't stay white, however I assumed for the cost the plastic would be treated appropriately to not discolour.  I'm now quite concerned that the whole thing's going to go yellow... call to the hifi dealer on Tuesday for me...

I have the same issue at the exact same place on 3 of my four silver... The fourth one is pretty recent..
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
If the white ABS starts to yellow, it cannot be stopped.
Heat and sunlight are the main culprits.
I think whitening of the ABS is possible, but requires immersion in a chemical cleaning liquid like hydrogen peroxide.

It will be interesting to follow any further reports of yellowing over the next few months and if it appears commonplace, then I'd expect all Phantoms to go yellow eventually.
If some are showing signs of it already, then the yellowing process may take place fairly quickly over the first couple of years.
Maybe this will push them to allow us to purchase them in more than one color ... but that's only a dream. I'd love to have some in a smoky semi-trans plastic.
Have somebody ask devialet ?
Can you clean it with a soft cleaningsupply?
(04-Jan-2016, 08:19)Johnnydev Wrote: Have somebody ask devialet ?
Can you clean it with a soft cleaningsupply?

I have had my Phantom silvers for 11 months now.
Both units had discoloration above the tweater and also above both woofers.
I think this is heat retalated. I was able to clean my units with cloth soaked in
rubbing alcohol, the discoloration is barely noticeable.
I have cleaned them with a soft natural soap and the discoloration is barely noticeable