Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Definitive answer on DOS2 and sound change?
Hello, I've had 2 Golds since 2017 so know them well. Also v other high end systems.

I hadn't used them for over a year as the top end was always lacking when compared to better speakers and I was missing the clarity on many types of music.

However, have just turned them back on as DOS2 is out - BUT - does anyone have a clear answer about how it changes the sound?

-some say better stereo

-some say less bass

-some, less bass AND less treble

That is precisely what I want to avoid.

Please can you tell me how you find the sonic changes, and if anyone has heard from Devialet about what really is meant to have changed just in the sound?

Thank you very much.
(10-Jan-2021, 13:41)AceOfBass Wrote: Hello, I've had 2 Golds since 2017 so know them well. Also v other high end systems.

I hadn't used them for over a year as the top end was always lacking when compared to better speakers and I was missing the clarity on many types of music.

However, have just turned them back on as DOS2 is out - BUT - does anyone have a clear answer about how it changes the sound?

-some say better stereo

-some say less bass

-some, less bass AND less treble

That is precisely what I want to avoid.

Please can you tell me how you find the sonic changes, and if anyone has heard from Devialet about what really is meant to have changed just in the sound?

Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum...

There is nothing definitive about the sound change.  Not sure anyone did a side by side comparison between DOS1 and DOS2?  Would have needed 2 pairs of Golds!  I thought there was a slight improvement but, like everyone else, is based on music memory, which is often unreliable.

If you did NOT like the Golds in DOS1, then it is likely that you will find no improvement in DOS2...
I bet that there was changes along the way.
But its individual...it depends on hundred of things like room variables, the music you play ,the source you play from,what kind of breakfast you eat that morning (:

I stopped long time ago to find the sub nuance on every update.
Like you, I have owned a pair of golds for 4 years, and I delayed the move to DOS 2 until this past fall when I received the new remote which required DOS 2 to work. Wish I could say I noticed an improvement with SQ, but not yet. I have noticed the sound seems lower in volume. In the past rarely raised the volume above 40 but now on occasion it is as high as 55 before my partner complains. Still need to lower it to 15 when playing video games at night. I actually have no idea how much this can be attributed to Devialet over my setup or the source. I always have noticed an improvement with lip sync. Otherwise, I have not noticed a difference.
I’m still on DOS1 and might switch when I see RAAT implementation works well in the next update. As I’m using room correction I will most probably make sine sweep recordings of the current setup and compare to the new one with DOS2 in exactly the same conditions, i.e. speaker positions and compare the graphs. This will be important to me as I’m using room correction filters, which I need to know, if they will still be valid in the DOS2 RAAT setup compared to the now used RPi RAAT and optical feed to the Phantoms that I currently use with Roon.
(14-Jan-2021, 22:49)streamy Wrote: I’m still on DOS1 and might switch when I see RAAT implementation works well in the next update. As I’m using room correction I will most probably make sine sweep recordings of the current setup and compare to the new one with DOS2 in exactly the same conditions, i.e. speaker positions and compare the graphs. This will be important to me as I’m using room correction filters, which I need to know, if they will still be valid in the DOS2 RAAT setup compared to the now used RPi RAAT and optical feed to the Phantoms that I currently use with Roon.

Sounds logical, BUT if you are unhappy with DOS2 RAAT, remember, there is no way back to DOS1.
Most of my Premiere Phantoms are on DOS1. I did upgrade my Classics to DOS2 and found a huge improvement in sound quality. The biggest change was the increased soundstage. Its much bigger than when it was on DOS1. I'm really reluctant in moving the rest to DOS2 because I really like the way my Golds and Silvers sound.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(13-Jan-2021, 10:24)eladeb Wrote: I bet that there was changes along the way.
But its individual...it depends on hundred of things like room variables, the music you play ,the source you play from,what kind of breakfast you eat that morning (:

My question is much simpler: everything else being equal, does DOS 2 change the sound?

Yes or no?!

And if it does. How? Frequency response? Equalisation? Crossover frequency?

It's a super simple question.
(09-Apr-2021, 15:33)AceOfBass Wrote:

My question is much simpler: everything else being equal, does DOS 2 change the sound?

Yes or no?!

A super simple question that's super hard to answer as long as Devialet hasn't mention anything about a change of frequency response/voicing/crossover frequency etc. in the release notes, ever. You'll have to ask them. I bet their answer will be no.
(09-Apr-2021, 16:19)ragwo Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 15:33)AceOfBass Wrote:

Yes or no?!

A super simple question that's super hard to answer as long as Devialet hasn't mention anything about a change of frequency response/voicing/crossover frequency etc. in the release notes, ever. You'll have to ask them. I bet their answer will be no.

I’ll try tomorrow to find some time to put my measurement results together to give some indication. Ragwo is right! I would say there is no difference sound wise between the latest DOS1 version and the latest DOS2 version. I measured a Phantom Silver with DOS1 and then DOS2. My first observations are that the frequency response is the same. But let me do the analysis and then report with graphs. I made many recordings from 10Hz-30kHz but need to tidy up. A WE full of sweeps in my home Smile