Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Definitive answer on DOS2 and sound change?
(09-Apr-2021, 21:31)streamy Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 16:19)ragwo Wrote:
(09-Apr-2021, 15:33)AceOfBass Wrote: My question is much simpler: everything else being equal, does DOS 2 change the sound?

Yes or no?!

And if it does. How? Frequency response? Equalisation? Crossover frequency?

It's a super simple question.

A super simple question that's super hard to answer as long as Devialet hasn't mention anything about a change of frequency response/voicing/crossover frequency etc. in the release notes, ever. You'll have to ask them. I bet their answer will be no.

I’ll try tomorrow to find some time to put my measurement results together to give some indication. Ragwo is right! I would say there is no difference sound wise between the latest DOS1 version and the latest DOS2 version. I measured a Phantom Silver with DOS1 and then DOS2. My first observations are that the frequency response is the same. But let me do the analysis and then report with graphs. I made many recordings from 10Hz-30kHz but need to tidy up. A WE full of sweeps in my home Smile

Thank you - a comparison would be GREAT! It's symptomatic of Devialet's "customer service" that they can't even get the simplest things right like telling customers who've paid £5.5k for two phantoms whether DOS2 changes the sound.
So my five cents. I have done Hifi for 35 years. Had some really good speakers; Yamaha NS1000M and Dynaudio Confidence C5 and C3 with some very special Mids and Tweeters. No Magicos etc, heard many of them though - to expensive for my taste. I worked with music all my life and I think I can distinguish detailed sound. So with the DOS1 I had an NODE2i and did optical MQA through Tidal. It was brilliant on really well recorded music, but had stability issues. I was persuaded to install DOS2 recently by my dealer and ditch the NODE2i and switch to a UPnP - where I stream Tidal MQA. According to Devialet "they have in the DOS 2.12.3 release, upgraded the audio pipeline from 16 to 24 bits, which provides the pipeline sound quality superior to all previously published DOS versions." See I asked them. I like this sound, I think it is way better then the original DOS1 sound only. Is it better than DOS1 with the NODE2i? I miss some of the highs. It can be that the the step from 16 to 24 bits "fills" the sound more and the highs are not as distinguished. It can be that the old DOS1 actually had higher options then 48hz that is currently my limit. I think so. But this system is stable, sounds GREAT on all sorts of music - including decent FLAC and I love the simplicity of this. So tired of all the stuff I had before. I love the bass with the Phantoms, the mids and highs are not up to my old standards - but the whole package is really nice and holds togheter. I hope they will sort out MQA and I can get 96 HZ by simply streaming. Hope it helps.
Thank you for your reply.

The Golds are already poor in migh-mid and especially treble so I really don't want to lose any more.

It would be SO simple for Devialet to answer this question. But they won't.

Which is why I will never be buying anything more from them.
(12-Apr-2021, 19:00)AceOfBass Wrote: Thank you for your reply.

The Golds are already poor in migh-mid and especially treble so I really don't want to lose any more.

It would be SO simple for Devialet to answer this question. But they won't.

Which is why I will never be buying anything more from them.

(12-Apr-2021, 18:42)howcho Wrote: I was persuaded to install DOS2 recently by my dealer and ditch the NODE2i and switch to a UPnP. Is it better than DOS1 with the NODE2i? I miss some of the highs. It can be that the the step from 16 to 24 bits "fills" the sound more and the highs are not as distinguished. It can be that the old DOS1 actually had higher options then 48hz that is currently my limit. I think so.
Have you tried the Node2i on DOS2?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
So Devialet has actually upgraded from 16 to 24bit processing with DOS2 2.12.x? That is very interesting! All those years with a 16 bit pipeline and nobody noticed...
As for the 48lHz limit - it would probably be better to send up to 96kHz to the speaker and let the downsampling take place there. Would be good for MQA anyway as the (most) important first unfold could take place unhindered.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I don't think Devialet upgrade from 16bits to 24bits in the DOS1/DOS2 update, I think DOS1 was 24 bits.
But they definitely have downgraded from 96khz to 48kz probably to divide by 2 the needed network bandwidth...

Interesting to notice, Sonos who had in my experience the most reliable wireless audio system, is just moving, after nearly 20 years, from a 16bits/48khz system to a 24bits/48khz system...
2 x Phantom I 108db Dark Chrome in Direct Optical Mode to a Sonos Connect
Sonos Arc + Sub + 2 x Play:1
Sonos Playbar
4 Sonos zones of 2xPlay:1
(14-Apr-2021, 12:58)denis Wrote: But they definitely have downgraded from 96khz to 48kz probably to divide by 2 the needed network bandwidth...

I don't think it is "definite" that Devialet downgraded the signal pipeline in DOS 2 at all, and have personally yet to see any evidence that DOS has ever supported 96kHz*.  See this thread where some of us have tried to get to the bottom of this.  I am still waiting for @streamy to finish writing up his full analysis but I have a strong suspicion that DOS has been downsampling to 48kHz all along*.

* Other than when configured in direct optical mode.
(14-Apr-2021, 13:24)struts Wrote:
(14-Apr-2021, 12:58)denis Wrote: But they definitely have downgraded from 96khz to 48kz probably to divide by 2 the needed network bandwidth...

I don't think it is "definite" that Devialet downgraded the signal pipeline in DOS 2 at all, and have personally yet to see any evidence that DOS has ever supported 96kHz*.  See this thread where some of us have tried to get to the bottom of this.  I am still waiting for @streamy to finish writing up his full analysis but I have a strong suspicion that DOS has been downsampling to 48kHz all along*.

* Other than when configured in direct optical mode.

Devialet finally replied: DOS 2 does NOT improve sound quality over DOS 1.