Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 Vs SuperUniti?
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I recently sold off my Naim NDS / 555PS DR / Supernait 2 / Hi Cap Dr system as I did not want to have a system consisting of multiple boxes any more. Also the thought of downgrading and putting some money back in the bank was appealing to me.

After hearing the Devialet 200 and 250 in the past it seems technology is advancing enough to consider selling my system as the one box approach seems to be the future of HiFi. Especially as the Devialet 250 in my opinion matched the NDS based system in sound quality.

I have a question between Devialet 200 and the SuperUniti. I do like Naim's iRadio and how vTuner works I also like how I can use the USB port on the SuperUniti to play FLAC and WAV tracks via USB stick without the need for a NAS drive.

I'd like a Devialet 200 over the SuperUniti as I'd imagine it sounds alot better. But the source is stopping me from getting one as Naim seem to know how to build a device that works all in one unit.

Can anyone recommend a source that where music files are stored locally but doesn't use a NAS drive and be able to stream internet radio at least 320kbps like Naim's iRadio does?
Hello!

The Bluesound Node might be what you're looking for. I don't have first-hand experience but a quick look at the specs suggest it should do what you asked: it has a USB type A connector to support memory sticks, and can play internet radio (bit rate presumably depends on the station). The digital (optical) output would connect directly to the Devialet.

(My natural reaction was to think of Sonos, but unfortunately it gives you no method to directly access files on a USB stick.)

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Dec-2014, 20:27)gtiboy Wrote: Can anyone recommend a source that where music files are stored locally but doesn't use a NAS drive and be able to stream internet radio at least 320kbps like Naim's iRadio does?

Well you could use a Mac Mini or PC with a s/w player of your choice and use either the internal drive or attach whatever external storage you like. This is a cheap and very flexible option and can sound very good - well, mine does Smile

If you want a streamer with integrated or USB hard drive then you could check out the NAD M50 or Aurender X100. Amabrok on this forum uses the Aurender and speaks very highly of it.

The NAD has better integration with music services like Spotify and Qobuz - not sure if TIDAL is integrated yet

Wwm on this forum sold his NDS/555/552/300 and bought a Devialet 800 - he uses a Naim HDX as the source which is another option as is a Unitiserve though you won't get integration with music streaming services.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Well I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. I did a demo with a Devialet 200 using a UnitiQute 2 stepping upto a ND5 XS to a NDX and with each step the Devialet sounded better, without doubt due to the fact each device has a better power supply within each streamer.

I'm wondering if a Mac Mini can compare sound quality wise with the above mentioned. Only an NDS / 555PS DR as a source via S/PDIF sounded amazing through a Devialet 250, certainly the best I've ever heard what a Devialet can do. Certain tracks played through this sounded like it was in the room. But 13k for a streamer is alot just to stream music to the Devialet.

I mean can a Mac Mini stream music with a wide, expansive, weighty, airey, detailed sound stage like an NDS / 555PS with it's tiny power supply? This is the conundrum I have..

The Devialet 200 + ND5 XS combo sounded abit thin with no real weight and power to the sound compared to the Devialet 250 + NDS / 555PS.

Anyone here upgraded from a SuperUniti to a Devialet? Was the sound that much superior?
Auralic Aries might be another option? ErikM on this forum has one and is pleased with it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Dec-2014, 21:41)gtiboy Wrote: Well I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible...

I'm wondering if a Mac Mini can compare sound quality wise with the above mentioned. Only an NDS / 555PS DR as a source via S/PDIF sounded amazing through a Devialet 250, certainly the best I've ever heard what a Devialet can do. Certain tracks played through this sounded like it was in the room. But 13k for a streamer is alot just to stream music to the Devialet....

The Devialet 200 + ND5 XS combo sounded abit thin with no real weight and power to the sound compared to the Devialet 250 + NDS / 555PS.

I'm not sure where 'cheap' falls on your scale, but you seem to have heard a wide range of combinations. If you're considering 500 series Naim products then cost and sound quality are likely to increase together. I'm sure you will know from the Naim forums that many there use a Mac Mini as a NAS device with their expensive Naim equipment. A Mac mini is a fairly inexpensive item, and it might well be worth trying it before jumping into a $20,000.00 streamer.

Pitting an ND5 XS against a NDS/555PS is more a matter of contrast than comparison. The difference in price is notable as well, so 'cheap' might not describe that approach.

I don't know if you'll be able to get the full range of iRadio stations that Naim offers without a Naim streamer, but then you may consider a used UQ1 to do that. Or something more expensive. We also like iRadio stations, and listen to them a great deal. The Mac solution will, I think, give you the opportunity to use the excellent Remote app and stream many internet radio stations, and so you will get some of that internet radio facility back.

Finally, I think there are several threads about members moving from Naim to Devialet, or at least making comparisons.

Keep us posted on your listening experiences.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(31-Dec-2014, 21:41)gtiboy Wrote: Well I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. I did a demo with a Devialet 200 using a UnitiQute 2 stepping upto a ND5 XS to a NDX and with each step the Devialet sounded better, without doubt due to the fact each device has a better power supply within each streamer.

I'm wondering if a Mac Mini can compare sound quality wise with the above mentioned. Only an NDS / 555PS DR as a source via S/PDIF sounded amazing through a Devialet 250, certainly the best I've ever heard what a Devialet can do. Certain tracks played through this sounded like it was in the room. But 13k for a streamer is alot just to stream music to the Devialet.

I mean can a Mac Mini stream music with a wide, expansive, weighty, airey, detailed sound stage like an NDS / 555PS with it's tiny power supply? This is the conundrum I have..

Anyone here upgraded from a SuperUniti to a Devialet? Was the sound that much superior?

Hi - welcome to the forum. It's not so much that I upgraded from a SuperUniti to a Devialet, but I demoed a SuperUniti/NAP 250.2/Ovator S400 system for a week, against a Devialet 170 (as it was at that time), into my Linn Akurate 242 speakers. I appreciate it wasn't a "fair" demo, but it was cost comparative - I was offered a 30% discount on the Naim kit.

My memories of the comparison are that the Naim kit was very engaging at moderate/high volumes with rock music - very punchy, very dynamic - but less so with simply recorded music such as female vocals and acoustic guitar. To be fair, I should have demoed the SuperUniti/NAP 250.2 into my Akurates, to get a fair comparison. At the end of the day, I bought the Devialet 170 because, like you, I wanted minimal box count, and was intrigued by the technology and the commitment to provide future upgrades via firmware.

So, this hasn't been much help, I guess! What I would say is that, from memory, the SuperUniti on its own is OK; with the NAP 250.2 - it was very good - but the cost of both of these components is now well above that of the Devialet 200.

So, a Devialet 200 and a streamer like the Auralic Aries, Simaudio Moon MIND 180 or the 3D Nano Labs would be less money and could/should provide you with the user experience and sound quality that you're after. Also, don't rule out that Devialet DIALOG might provide you with the source experience you're after - notwithstanding the paucity of information as to what this device actually does (and I've ordered one, BTW!)

Let us know how you get on.

ATB, Ken
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Like PhilP mentioned, i use Aurender X100L and I'm really amazed with the SQ.

What you will get with the Aurender is a solidly built unit with excellent USB audio out circuit that matches perfectly with Devialet, built-in storage to accommodate all your music library (capacity range from 1 TB to 8 TB), you get a 120 GB SSD for buffering and jitter free playback and you get a smart and very functional remote app for iOS (iPad only) and Android. despite the fact that it has enough capacity it has the ability to stream from NAS.

What you will miss is other digital outputs (only USB output), u will miss streaming services integration (so no iRadio, no Qobuz, etc...) though i was told that Tidal integration is in the making.

On the other hand, where really NAD M50 shines is its integration of online streaming services (a whole host of many services) and it also comes with a built-in optical drive (which is a controversy) and of course no built in storage but NAD offers a dedicated storage unit to match the M50.

Aurialic Aeris, especially the one with external power supply should be also considered.

While i understand the value of a Mac Mini or a computer based solution, i would not go down this route as it won't be a plug and play solution and will always require your engagement, whereas purposely built units are much less demanding and they just simply play (of course if they are designed and executed well).

Of course at this point in time you could also wait and see exactly what Dialog will bring as new functionality to Devialet. Unfortunately Devialet offers very limited technical information at this point but i guess it would be a good idea if you can wait.

however, from what we know so far, Dialog won't have a built-in storage but it is not clear if there will be an option of plugging a USB drive for music playback. if it does not offer that, then i understand it won't meet your requirements of not having to stream from a NAS
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(31-Dec-2014, 21:41)gtiboy Wrote: I'm wondering if a Mac Mini can compare sound quality wise with the above mentioned. Only an NDS / 555PS DR as a source via S/PDIF sounded amazing through a Devialet 250, certainly the best I've ever heard what a Devialet can do. Certain tracks played through this sounded like it was in the room. But 13k for a streamer is alot just to stream music to the Devialet.

As you've probably read, there are several people on the Naim forum who have sold their NDS/555 and Naim DAC/555 sources and moved to Mac Mini/Chord Hugo as the latter combination sounds 'better'. Some of them are using Naim 552/500 amps... I wouldn't claim that they're best source but plenty of people on here use them - in fact I would guess that they're probably the most common source used by Devialet owners. Devialet themselves usually demo using a Mac Wink

I had similar findings to you when comparing Naim sources into a Devialet: NDX/XPS sounds better than NDX/PowerLine sounds better than NDX with standard mains cable (and I don't like the harsh-sounding ND5XS) so I think that the better/cleaner the power supply the better the Naim sources sound.

For some reason my NDX (coax) has a fuller, smoother but slightly less-detailed and less airy sound than my iMac (wi-fi or wired ethernet). I actually prefer my NDX for streaming from my NAS but use the Mac for Qobuz as Naim still don't support any lossless streaming services - much to the disappointment of many of their customers.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Thanks for the reply's. I see you can upgrade your Mac Mini to Audiophile grade.

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/mac_mini_modification.html

Also touching on the Aurender X100L, wouldn't a Synology DS213air WiFi NAS do the same thing for less money? As you're still not able to stream music from online radio stations.