Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 220 pro vs Naim NAP250
I do not know if this is the right place to ask. But I'm very confused between the Naim Audio NAP250DR + NAC272 amplifier and the DEVIALET 220 PRO amplifier. I have TOTEM Earth Element speakers
Hi Kabirsh, welcome.
Your post doesn’t give much to go on other than youre considering the above options? Perhaps a bit more background?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Jun-2018, 22:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Hi Kabirsh, welcome.
Your post doesn’t give much to go on other than youre considering the above options? Perhaps a bit more background?

Hi. I just need to bay amplifire ,and dont know what to choose . That is  all about. Streaming musim from Spotify.
Me thinks a windup perhaps.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Am I the only one who thinks this might actually be a genuine question from someone for whom English is not a first language?

Consider that if you are looking for a high quality Streamer / DAC / amplifier that has native Spotify support, both the 220Pro and the Naim NAP250DR + NAC272 offer pretty much identical functionality, and are both products with a decent reputation for sound quality.  Plus, at UK retail prices, they are indeed direct competitors, the pricing is almost identical.

It is a while since I have listened to a Naim amp, but I do know that a few Pro owners on this forum have come from Naim amps, so may have a better understanding of the differences than I have.

One thing I would say is that this is a Devialet forum, so the consensus is likely to be that the 220Pro is by far the better product.  A far more detailed and realistic sound, better dynamics, more accurate bass with far better bass extension.

I am guessing that on a Naim forum the 220Pro is likely to be considered as sounding too clinical, poor at conveying the emotions in the music and looks like a chrome plated pizza box.

You pay your money (which is the same) and take your choice.

Joking apart, I think the 220Pro is a very fine piece of kit, and in terms of ultimate sound quality is unmatched at the price point.

If the OP was a wind up, then I look like an idiot, but hey, nothing new there! Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Kabirsh
Hello. I'm going to go with @Confused here and act on the belief that this is a genuine enquiry and request for advice or comment.

Kabirsh, Confused has summed up the probable comments from Devialet owners and from Naim owners. I've been involved in similar discussions on the Naim forum, and from that experience, I can confirm that the argument is very much along those lines.

I think that Naim makes excellent gear, though I have not hear their current DR series equipment. Personally, the Devialet presentation and packaging is my preference; I am one who moved from Naim to Devialet.

One aspect to note is that Devialet owners have had some owners with either minor or serious problems with the software. Naim is the same in this regard, with UPnP & other connectivitiy issues. I think that streaming issues may be common to many systems, whether related directly to the equipment or to other parts in the house.

Regarding sound, there are several threads on this forum that will give you more than enough opinion- do a search and give up a few hours of your life.

Totem speakers I do know, and to me, the Element speakers are their best. The Naim equipment may add some of the 'warmth' of the traditional Totem speakers, but the Devialet will give space and detail that the Naim likely will not. I've heard both Naim and Devialet through Element series speakers, and I'm basing my comment on that experience. Not DR series Naim equipment, as I mentioned.

There, that is my early morning contribution.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Hello,

I owned a Naim 282 pre-amp and the 200 power amplifier. And today I have the 220 Pro with the CI update.

For me the 220 Pro is the best and it is more convenient to use, e.g., Naim is really sensitive to the current the appliances receive, they need to warm-up quite some time, you need to invest in good cables to connect pre and power, and so on...

I have to say, nonetheless, that you mention the 250DR for use as power amp and this is quite a step from the non-DR 200 that I owned... But at the same time your 272 is not the best machine in terms of pre-amp and streamer. So yeah...

Ideally you should go and have a listen but I would opt for the Devialet since it has a nice boogie factor as well, less coloured sound, and simply more easy to enjoy.