Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 220 with external amp ?
Hello, I own a fantastic Devialet 220 Core Infinity, and I would like to know if anybody has already has used it as a sole preamp (with all its great functions) using an external power amp ? I f so how was the result ?
I would like to try adding an external tube poweramp to get maybe the best of the two worlds.
Thanks a lot in advance for your feedbacks.
The best part of an Expert amplifier is the ADH power amp. The variable preamp output is (I think) routed through a different (cheaper) DA converter than the "Magic Wire" DAC. You may still prefer the sound of a tube amp so you must try it if you can and decide for yourself.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
It will sound different to be sure. If your speakers are efficient, you may well prefer the sound. It will not be as detailed as the output from the ADH amp for the reasons stated above
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
I used to use my outputs to a $35,- second hand midi set in my garage downstairs. As you can imagine, it sounded like shit. It did give me the option to use Roon and that is what you could use too. I don't think it's the right thing to do though. If you want a different sound, why not play with perfect room settings a bit? Its abilities are endless.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
For a good part of 2020, I ran my Dev as a preamp only.
I used a pair of Bob Carver 275 Tube Amps, and really enjoyed the result.

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.