Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Air 2.1.3 is available!
The AIR on my "new" (demo) D premier is not usable.. there are occasional bursts of distortion overlaying the music..embarrassing to demo the system like that.
I have reverted back to usb>spdif and/or my Logitech Squeezebox touch till when AIR is fixed on my devialet.

I was told the wireless access point needs to be nearer - its only about 2m from the unit..not sure how much closer it can be...nothing else that's wireless seems to suffer?

Win7 ultimate based pc...

I'm not really a happy camper about the AIR issue...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Air (even Ethernet) with Mac Mini has frequent dropouts with high resolution files - works mostly fine with 16/44, although there are occasional dropouts too, but much more spaced. All in all, it is enough pain to avoid selecting this input, since you're unconsciously waiting for the next dropout and you can't relax.

Both Toslink (up to 96k) and USB work fine, can be used with Audirvana, have no glitches at all, and have no latency. It is a pity because it seems to me that Ethernet is the best sounding of them all.

Mac mini is dedicated to music and films, with 16gb main memory; Ethernet connection is direct to Devialet, with fixed ip; and access to Internet to stream radio is done using the wifi connection.

I am using Yosemite and the latest versions of Air and Devialet firmware. But I can't say that there was a system version that worked perfectly fine with Air.

I am using a true glass multi fiber Toslink cable and bog-standard USB cable and Cat7 Ethernet cable. (Does USB cable choice really matter with Devialet?). I have noticed that the most relaxing sound is obtained with Toslink when all other cables are disconnected, and therefore galvanic isolation (but sound has less tridimensionality than with Ethernet)
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

(24-Nov-2014, 08:05)Rodney Gold Wrote: The AIR on my "new" (demo) D premier is not usable.. there are occasional bursts of distortion overlaying the music..embarrassing to demo the system like that.
I have reverted back to usb>spdif and/or my Logitech Squeezebox touch till when AIR is fixed on my devialet.

I was told the wireless access point needs to be nearer - its only about 2m from the unit..not sure how much closer it can be...nothing else that's wireless seems to suffer?

Win7 ultimate based pc...

I'm not really a happy camper about the AIR issue...

Rodney,
my D-Premier worked fine with Air once I had realised that it is difficult to get a good wifi signal in it since the case is such a good shield. Moving the wifi transmitter (in my case an Apple time machine) even a few inches influenced the signal strength at the amp, btw.
I haven't used a PC since I retired, I gave my last one to my son-in-law so the system I used without problems (once tuned in...) was with a Mac.
Firstly the wifi signal as seen via the Air software you want the highest signal you can get. Mine works perfectly at -47dB signal level. It varies between -50dB and -45dB and I only get dropouts at this signal level if there is excessive activity on the wifi network or my computer needs the maintenance scripts running (Unix runs them automatically if you run your computer 24/7, I don't any more)
The two biggest improvements in stability I achieved were, first, to set my Airport to a fixed channel not used by any other local wifi signal and the second was to dispose of my Android mobile phone.
Android makes frequent unauthorised by me internet access, which I probably wouldn't have spotted if I hadn't been tuning Air. I was so annoyed by this, and the poor battery life on my smart phone that I disposed of it.

I have also not updated to the latest version of Air.
Updates to a system which works are pointless, IME as a programmer, unless the update includes a desirable new feature (and even then...).
I use iTunes since I have an existing historic music library. I own loads of other software, and streaming solutions, but after trying them rarely use any of them.

(23-Nov-2014, 21:00)PhilP Wrote: So that just leaves a call to the CEO then Wink

Ah but what is the likelyhood of them going back to the original revolutionary(ish) Air philosophy (which would rule out PCs) once they have dumped it and put many man-years into getting Air 2 developed?
All the other stuff except the configurator, which I don't need to use at the moment, are not a problem for me.
My units have everything I need as hifi amps and sound fine, pretty well as good as my D-Premiers but unfortunately lacking HDMI Sad
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Nov-2014, 11:07)f1eng Wrote: ...

Ah but what is the likelyhood of them going back to the original revolutionary(ish) Air philosophy (which would rule out PCs) once they have dumped it and put many man-years into getting Air 2 developed?
All the other stuff except the configurator, which I don't need to use at the moment, are not a problem for me.
My units have everything I need as hifi amps and sound fine, pretty well as good as my D-Premiers but unfortunately lacking HDMI Sad

I'm sure that you are correct - there's no going back. By the way, I'm listening to Franz Schubert, Winterreise D. 911, Matthias Goerne, Harmonia Mundi which I guess you might also like

It's really down to the white noise/configurator afflicted to make a 'noise' of their own to force Devialet to prioritise a fix.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(24-Nov-2014, 11:27)PhilP Wrote:
(24-Nov-2014, 11:07)f1eng Wrote: ...

I'm sure that you are correct - there's no going back. By the way, I'm listening to Franz Schubert, Winterreise D. 911, Matthias Goerne, Harmonia Mundi which I guess you might also like

It's really down to the white noise/configurator afflicted to make a 'noise' of their own to force Devialet to prioritise a fix.

I do indeed like Winterreise. Schubert was the first classical music I listened to properly, in about 1970, which widened my outlook, which had been Stones, Hendrix, Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart plus folk music prior to that.
I still love Schubert's music. My recording is the Fischer-Dieskau/Moore which I have listened to for decades, must listen to a different one too!
With most of my favourite music I own several interpretations.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Nov-2014, 14:22)f1eng Wrote: I do indeed like Winterreise. Schubert was the first classical music I listened to properly, in about 1970, which widened my outlook, which had been Stones, Hendrix, Mothers of Invention, Captain Beefheart plus folk music prior to that.
I still love Schubert's music. My recording is the Fischer-Dieskau/Moore which I have listened to for decades, must listen to a different one too!
With most of my favourite music I own several interpretations.

Its certainly interesting to try different interpretations but I usually find that one sticks in my head as being 'right' and then when I listen to others I have a nagging feeling that they're 'wrong'. This is probably why I don't particularly like to listen to re-masters of my favourite rock albums

My mother is a huge Fischer-Dieskau fan and has many of his recordings on vinyl. She has sadly given up listening to LPs (prefers opera etc on TV or DVD) so at some stage I will probably be given several feet (6-8 at least) of classical boxed sets from the 70s and 80s in pristine. She was also an avid 'Gramophone' reader so will no doubt have bought the 'best' recordings. It should be fun exploring them Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I was thinking of purchasing a MAC Mini (to use for streaming, instead of my PC), to put the white noise issues behind me for good, but with these posts, I don't know any more which way to go. It sounds like the most reliable option is USB (it has no incidents reported for either MAC or PC).
Now, for those complaining of drop outs over WiFi, let me share my experience prior to upgrading to 250. I spent months troubleshooting my wireless network, using various tools. My signal was around -30dB, and the channel was empty. And I was still getting dropouts even at 16/44... The interesting thing was that I was able to stream without problems for days, but sooner or later the dropouts would reoccur. And then I discovered the root cause: my neighbor with an old wireless phone - one of those which are known to auto-change channels (to withstand the likes of Devialet Smile
This discovery made me switch to wired Ethernet, and I've never had a single dropout since, with any format.
Now I only get white noise occasionally Smile But we will win that fight (or if we don't, will just switch to USB).
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
Just to set the statistics straight: I run my music from iTunes via AIR 2.1.2 on an OS10.8.5 MacPro and a directly connected standard ethernet cable to the D800 and never ever had a problem with noise or dropouts.

That problem only occurred when I tried to play HiRez files via wifi. But given that wifi connections is hopelessly compromised by a lot of other appliances and 9 neighbours using wifi, it was not a good idea to try it anyway. There was one single instance where I had noise with my setup: That was, when my Mac unexpectedly engaged in an intensive operation of copying and/or other operations. After quitting the responsible applications everything was fine again.

Maybe some of you should consider reverting to AIR 2.1.2 instead of the last version?
(24-Nov-2014, 17:36)AlexS Wrote: I was thinking of purchasing a MAC Mini (to use for streaming, instead of my PC), to put the white noise issues behind me for good, but with these posts, I don't know any more which way to go. It sounds like the most reliable option is USB (it has no incidents reported for either MAC or PC).
Now, for those complaining of drop outs over WiFi, let me share my experience prior to upgrading to 250. I spent months troubleshooting my wireless network, using various tools. My signal was around -30dB, and the channel was empty. And I was still getting dropouts even at 16/44... The interesting thing was that I was able to stream without problems for days, but sooner or later the dropouts would reoccur. And then I discovered the root cause: my neighbor with an old wireless phone - one of those which are known to auto-change channels (to withstand the likes of Devialet Smile
This discovery made me switch to wired Ethernet, and I've never had a single dropout since, with any format.
Now I only get white noise occasionally Smile But we will win that fight (or if we don't, will just switch to USB).

Before you make the purchase, you could give USB a go on the PC--and try Jplay, you will be in for a surprise, you can download a trial version that works for some minutes, but it should be enough to test.

I have made a thread in the streamer section about my experiences with Jplay, I used Air to begin with and only had a couple of white noise issues, but after Jplay there was no way back from a sonic point of view...

Kind regards

Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
Well, I was hoping for simplicity - 1 power chord to devialet and speaker cables to my G1's.
Looks like that is not to be , as I now have a logitech squeezebox on one spdif chan and a usb to spdif cable from my workstation (to play using J river) on another.. more wires than I wanted...
I will try all the workarounds for air and see if it improves or wait for the fix.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room