Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bi-wire vs Shotgun wiring
I wanted to see if anyone with D440 or D1000 Pro has done shotgun wiring of their bi-wireable speakers. If so, what are the differences compared to standard bi-wiring of speakers? And how is this configured on your particular speakers? Do you set one of the Devialet Pros to output in High-Pass mode and the other to output in Low-Pass mode? 

Have been confused as to what's the right configuration here.
And I may be confusing it a little but the way I read the definition of shotgun wiring is essentially 2 pairs of cables. Maybe I'm thinking about biamping instead of monoblock bi-wiring?
I didn't know that bi-wiring was also called "shotgun" bi-wiring Smile. Accordingly, I have always used the shotgun variant it seems. Two separate runs of cable joined to two connectors at the amp end, but four separate connectors at speakers (for a two-way) The other variant would be a cable with four leads, like the Canare 4S11 here: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm and the same connector scheme.

The advantage of the first variant is that one can mix cable types to tailor treble sound for example, but not affect bass/mid sound. With the Canare (type) cable this will obviously not be possible.
With bi-amping you need one amp channel per drive unit. I don't see any advantage to this with a D440 or D1000. With bi-amping it would be 2xD220 or 2xD250, not 440 or 1000..

If you, on the other hand, bypass the internal passive cross overs in the speakers and use active filtering in the amps (DSP) it's a different story. This can improve sound quite a lot, but you really need to know what you are doing here. You need to measure the response through the passive filters in your speakers to replicate this in the amps. You'll need Devialet's help to calculate this. If you use SAM today you should also have a new SAM profile with the cross over bypassed. If you are even a little bit unsure, don't do it!

In the end, bi-wiring will cost you more, but may result in less improvement than you expect.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(18-Dec-2021, 12:03)ogs Wrote: In the end, bi-wiring will cost you more, but may result in less improvement than you expect.

Yes, bi-wiring=double the cost and double the capacitance. My experiments show me there is no benefits to bi-wiring in that the increased capacitance deteriorates sound and causes the amp(s) to run at higher temperature. Devialet amps seem, IMHO, to prefer low capacitance speaker cables.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
Interesting. So the best way to wire from Devialet to the speakers (which are bi-wireable) is to run a standard speaker cable to each speaker, then get a high-quality set of jumpers?
(30-Dec-2021, 22:47)sfdude Wrote: Interesting. So the best way to wire from Devialet to the speakers (which are bi-wireable) is to run a standard speaker cable to each speaker, then get a high-quality set of jumpers?

I use an internally bi-wire cable that has two connectors at the Amp side and 4 connectors on the speaker side. And it is called bi-wiring!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US