Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet DAC quality equivalent?
(16-Aug-2015, 22:47)Cycles2 Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 01:34)Music or sound Wrote: The only way to compare Devialet's DAC quality with other DACs is using the analog  preamplified  output and compare it with other DAC. I am using the preout filtered for low pass and it is very good that way. I bought my D-Premier/D250 because I wanted an integrated amplifier (including x-over). I can imagine to find better DAC and amplifier combinations but at much higher expenses (also space wise).

Music or Sound,

I'm not sure I understand your post on how to compare Devialet's DAC quality to other DACs.  I don't know any way to truly connect a different DAC and bypass the Devi's DAC.  I thought using the pre-out is intended to bypass the Devi's amp but still use the Devi's DAC and pre-amp.

Thx,
Brian ...

If one wants to judge Devialet as a conventional DAC one can listen to the pre-out function (full range) and compare it to other DACs. I was interested in Devialet as an amplifier which is better than normal class D amps and has a digital cross-over function thus I am using it also its DAC function +/- the amp function. If I would be interested in a standalone DAC I would look into R2R types like Totaldac, Rockna, Metrum or Aqua acoustics.
(17-Aug-2015, 13:00)JohnnySix Wrote: Devialet will probably start putting in Burr Brown PCM1795's instead of PCM1792's and call them D120+, D200+ etc... and make all us legacy owners feel inadequate.

... although Devialet has stated many times that the 120/200/250/400/800 will not become obsolescent so presumably existing owners would be offered the change if they wanted it.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
The DAC's inside the D's are on the mainboard, presumably the most expensive part of the D's.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(18-Aug-2015, 18:34)Antoine Wrote: The DAC's inside the D's are on the mainboard, presumably the most expensive part of the D's.

The case and power supply are usually the 2 most expensive bits of an amp. In the case of the D-Premier it certainly is the case, with the 200 and 120 I don't know,
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

is that like how the most expensive part on any vehicle you purchase is the paint job?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(18-Aug-2015, 22:42)completeluxury Wrote: is that like how the most expensive part on any vehicle you purchase is the paint job?

Well it isn't in that case! The complete body-in-white may well be though. Engine parts vary enormously in production cost. When BMW went from the 6-cyl M3 engine to the V8 it was a considerable cost saving since the V8 was a tuned version of an engine in mass production whereas the 6 was effectively half of the V12 designed by BMW motorsport for the McLaren F1. Their added bonus was that not only was the V8 cheaper to make punters expected to pay more for it.

Electronic components are not expensive. Metalwork is, transformers are.

When I worked for Garrard one of the estimators told me that the most expensive single item to produce for some of the products was the instruction book...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(19-Aug-2015, 21:59)f1eng Wrote: When I worked for Garrard one of the estimators told me that the most expensive single item to produce for some of the products was the instruction book...

hah!

so i was just reading... the devialet upsamples everything to 384khz regardless of what we feed it. im going to confess my silliness here.... do many other products (read: davs/intergrated amps) do this as well?

perhaps thats why people on here that have tried upsampling software like hq player felt there was no benefit
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
FWIW, Prior to the Devialet I had a dCS Elgar, Purcell and Verona stack.
I think the Devialet has a very similar sound and didn't feel that I was loosing anything in terms of detail or sound quality.
I'm Martin

Devialet D400 Expert, Focal Diablo Utopia III Colour, Bluesound Vault 2i, Meridian CDT, Technics 1210 M5G + Oyaide Platter and Stabiliser, Audionote Tonearm, Blue Angel Mantis MC
(22-Aug-2015, 10:06)howlindawg Wrote: FWIW, Prior to the Devialet I had a dCS Elgar, Purcell and Verona stack.
I think the Devialet has a very similar sound and didn't feel that I was loosing anything in terms of detail or sound quality.

From my limited knowledge of dCS kit, that combination was a sizable chunk of disposable income (to me anyway Smile ), and sounded extremely good, so to say that you didn't feel that you were loosing anything in terms of detail or sound quality must say something.

Myself, I went from my W4S Server (https://wyred4sound.com/products/music-s...ver-ms-2-0)  playing via a W4S DAC-2 DSDse (https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs/dac-2-series), which, IMO, was no slouch in the SQ department, to running straight from Server to Devialet also without loss of any noticeable SQ. Also gave me the DAC and a pair of Transparent Audio Ultra Interconnects as "trade in" items  Smile.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK