Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apple music streaming service
(03-Jun-2015, 13:20)AllenB Wrote:
(03-Jun-2015, 09:59)Eddye Wrote:
(03-Jun-2015, 07:35)AllenB Wrote: Very disappointing from Apple if this pans out. Catering to the masses, not us picky audiophiles. I really thought that Apple would go one better than Spotify and offer up lossless (at a higher subscription rate). I guess that they do not want an humungous backlog of complaints from all their iPhone users when bandwidth cannot cope from the service providers. Not their fault but it would reflect very badly on their product.

Why would you expect Apple to offer something not used by the masses to which they cater? I think 99% of users couldn't care less wheter or not they're listening to a 24/192 or an MP3 track. Not to mention one wouldn't hear the difference anyway when you're traveling or in an office or working out. Music is for most people just wallpaper, nothing more. Apple is in the business of making a profit, so they'll save on storage and bandwith by using small files to maximize that profit.

Woah, easy tiger, it's not just my expectation. But maybe, just maybe, they might have wanted to offer something over and above Spotify, as an option, not necessarily as the default. Something to entice all those iTunes customers who used to pay for downloads from their store, but now prefer to pay a Spotify sub for lossy streaming. Not much to entice those lost customers back, if it's all on the same streaming rate and they are entrenched in Spotify. What about the youth of today that have moved up from ear-buds to Beats headphones and similar, apart from a fashion accessory, I am sure part of the appeal is better SQ. Apple / 'Beats' at lossless might have pushed that market even further.

All conjecture until we know for sure next week.

Now please get back in your cage!  Tongue

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across as aggressive.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I kind of agree with Eddye. Having said that, even the masses appear to be happy to pay a premium for stuff that they may not realise they don't need, 4G phones, 4K televisions and so on. Apple are the big boys in the market, I'm sure that if the came up with some kind of "premium" service, people would want it, and pay for it, even if they didn't really need it? iTunes does support 24bit now, maybe they might surprise us? (although I doubt it)
In the wake of Apple's internment roll out of its new music streaming service, Tidal announce upgrades for its apps

http://iClarified.com/49567

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Well I waded through the presentation materials that Apple have produced to support the launch of its new streaming service and the whole thing is incredibly impressive (though there seems to be significant marketing 'gloss' on many features which are in no sense 'revolutionary').  It might be a service that I would use outside the home but they're reportedly going to cap streaming at a miserable 256kbps so I wont be using it with my hi-fi  Confused

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/0...try-rivals
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Apple claims that ACC @ 256kbps is as good as MP3 @ 320kbps if not better! How accurate is that? And if it is true then it will be as good as Deezer, Spotify but of course will lag behind Qobuz and Tidal in terms of SQ

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(12-Jun-2015, 19:14)amabrok Wrote: Apple claims that ACC @ 256kbps is as good as MP3 @ 320kbps if not better! How accurate is that? And if it is true then it will be as  good as Deezer,  Spotify but of course will lag behind Qobuz and Tidal in terms of SQ

Without a DBT, this is very hard to assess, but I can tell you that I have some AAC 256kbps that I'm listening to, and they are very good. If I know what I'm looking for, I think I can pick a few subtleties that allow me to tell that it was lossy compression, but you need to be very careful and on a very particular type of music. 

Actually, I have played those files to audiophile friends without telling them, in the middle of red book, 24/96 and 24/192, and not a single one called it out. 

So now for me, if I have the choice, I will go lossless, but if the only version I can find is AAC 256, I can leave with it.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(13-Jun-2015, 18:12)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(12-Jun-2015, 19:14)amabrok Wrote: Apple claims that ACC @ 256kbps is as good as MP3 @ 320kbps if not better! How accurate is that? And if it is true then it will be as  good as Deezer,  Spotify but of course will lag behind Qobuz and Tidal in terms of SQ

Without a DBT, this is very hard to assess, but I can tell you that I have some AAC 256kbps that I'm listening to, and they are very good. If I know what I'm looking for, I think I can pick a few subtleties that allow me to tell that it was lossy compression, but you need to be very careful and on a very particular type of music. 

Actually, I have played those files to audiophile friends without telling them, in the middle of red book, 24/96 and 24/192, and not a single one called it out. 

So now for me, if I have the choice, I will go lossless, but if the only version I can find is AAC 256, I can leave with it.

Makes sense. Thanks Jean-Marie

Dubai, UAE