Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Email
I'm not sure which I preferred. Not being communicated to at all and holding out blind hope that an upgrade was coming, or being thanked for my contribution, and being told the updates coming to all the other Devialet family won't be implemented on my Phantom (Premier) until "the second half of 2019", which is potentially a year or more from now.

Certainly disappointed that the timelines for implementing a migration from Spark to the new interface is so far away.
For those who didn't receive the email:

"We are grateful to count you as one of our clients and part of the Devialet family. As such, we are pleased to inform you about the latest developments planned for our existing product lines - Expert Pro and Phantom, now known as Phantom Premier, which range from 1200 to 4500 Watts.

Since the creation of Devialet, our mission has been to bring sound in its purest form to as many listeners as possible. Last week, we introduced Phantom Reactor which is the latest milestone in our pursuit of this goal. Phantom Reactor condenses multiple Devialet technologies into an incredibly compact design that still manages to deliver unreasonable sound, from 600 to 900 Watts.

Phantom Reactor only exists because of the innovations born from the development of Expert Pro and Phantom Premier. In many ways, you made this possible: you were among the first to trust us and your invaluable feedback continues to inform what we do next.

This continuous evolution required a new software platform, so we developed DOS 2 (Devialet Operating System 2). It offers an open, simple and stable experience, allowing users to enjoy exceptional sound quality with the greatest comfort. The brand new "Devialet" application, launched alongside Phantom Reactor, has been built on the DOS 2 architecture. Our ultimate aim is to harmonize the user experience across all our product lines.

On Expert Pro with Core Infinity, certification of Roon RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) begins this week, enhancing the listening experience on what is already the world’s most advanced music player. In 2019, we will make Expert Pro compatible with the new Devialet app, replacing the current Expert Remote app.

On Phantom Premier, transition to our new software platform is scheduled for the second half of 2019. You will have the option to replace Spark with the Devialet app and enjoy all the benefits of the new OS.

We also aim to bring you new streaming protocols through free software updates, which will join Airplay, Spotify Connect and UPnP that were introduced this year across all our products.

Thank you for your continued support and looking forward to delivering these exciting enhancements.

The Devialet Team"
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
The worst is that it looks like Dialog and Spark are not anymore actively supported. Since the last IOS update to 12.01 Spark crashes on my Ipad mini2 at startup. So no Spark anymore on my IPad Sad
Complete uninstall and reinstall of Spark does not help. The app keeps crashing at startup! Is it only me having that problem? Don’t think so looking at some reports here in the forum. Will Devialet fix it? Does not seem to happen after all we heard. Who’s going to buy Phantoms Premier during this transition period when Devialet will not put minimal effort to at least maintain the current software?
(16-Oct-2018, 22:21)streamy Wrote: Who’s going to buy Phantoms Premier during this transition period when Devialet will not put minimal effort to at least maintain the current software?

People who don’t read DC!

And like Microsoft.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

“We also aim to bring you new streaming protocols through free software updates, which will join Airplay, Spotify Connect and UPnP that were introduced this year across all our products.“

In an email where they name Roon explicitly for the Expert, it’s disappointing to see the nebulous phrase “new streaming protocols” for Phantom, which could just mean Airplay 2.
timing is certainly quite disappointing...
I have to disagree @"alaw". This email did not address many of our questions and concerns, it raised some new questions like whether or not the Dialog will be supported in the future, and it suggested that the software will be updated in probably around a year.

I find this a very disappointing and ambiguous response. It doesn't encourage me to buy the product.
That's true. I'm a potential buyer. And I refrain myself to jump into Devialet's ecosystem, because I don't know what to do. Evenutally I would like to have 3 Phantoms, 2 Premiers as Left and Right, and one Reactor as Center.

And they are giving clues that multi-channel will be possible, but how? Will it be a new "dialog", like a "multilog"? Will it be a software update of the current Dialog? Can I buy already the 2 Premiers? I don't know. So I'm not doing anything. But second half of 2019 seems in a long time...

At least a roadmap will help me to decide. I don't mind waiting but I do mind gambling.
“On Phantom Premier, transition to our new software platform is scheduled for the second half of 2019. You will have the option to replace Spark with the Devialet app and enjoy all the benefits of the new OS.

We also aim to bring you new streaming protocols through free software updates, which will join Airplay, Spotify Connect and UPnP that were introduced this year across all our products.”

Maybe as Phantom Premier owners we should read this message from Devialet differently: With Dialog and Spark we already have Airplay, Spotify Connect and UPnP. In addition we also have Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, Radio Stations, Multiroom, sync of up to 20 Phantoms!
Let’s enjoy all that for at least the next 12 months knowing that the other platform is still in the infancy, not on that level of what Spark offers and regarding reliability let others do the beta phase. No need to go again through all the updates to receive a more or less functionning system. Remember, how long it took Devialet to offer gapless play within albums but also, when mixing multiple sources. Now this works well in Spark. What I’m a bit saddened is that Spark and Dialog are close to be well working. When Devialet would remove the few almost on one hand countable bugs from Spark and Dialog the system would be great. It would only be in need of RAAT and then for me perfect. Shame on that missed opportunity.
Let’s enjoy what we have with the system (those that managed to make their network working with Devialet) and help those that have not yet reached the yet possible stability of the Phantom system. No need for me to spend more money to an enlarged Devialet ecosystem for now and happily listening to an incredible sound quality for the buck Smile Smile
The first brave person to connect JTAG to the board and get firmware, or push Devialet to release the open-source downloads as they should (they use gstreamer and linux on the boards inside, so they legally are obligated to provide the sources and the license texts) will initiate the modding scene for these devices!
Is there anyone brave enough?