Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Expert 120 and Thorens Turntable
I am about to purchase a Devialet Expert 120. I want to connect a Thorens TD150 turntable/Rega RB300 arm/Supex 900 MkIV cartridge. The Thorens has a ground connection and the Devialet Expert 120 does not appear to have the same. 

If the ground is not connected to the amp, will there be a hum? Is there a way to earth the Thoren/Supex?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek,

There is an groudwire on the 120. So that is not an issue.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Looking closely at the configurator, the only model that is not shown with a ground connection situated between the phono inputs is the 120. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi @derekcohen

Welcome, and good call on the Dev D120. I had one and it is a serious bargain, and downright outstanding. Although mine is now a 220 Pro CI, so a bunch of stuff has been changed,  I'm sure there is a ground pin/ attachment on the back of the D120. It is to the right side, as you look at the amp, so on the SD card side, and below the row of input jacks. It is annoyingly small, and a pain to get at. But if you're into turntables, then you're game for a good dose of annoyance and frustration. Am I right?

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this. Won't be the first time, that's for sure. 

Perth? Never heard of it....  Tongue
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(02-Dec-2021, 00:49)Damon Wrote: Hi @derekcohen

Welcome, and good call on the Dev D120. I had one and it is a serious bargain, and downright outstanding. Although mine is now a 220 Pro CI, so a bunch of stuff has been changed,  I'm sure there is a ground pin/ attachment on the back of the D120. It is to the right side, as you look at the amp, so on the SD card side, and below the row of input jacks. It is annoyingly small, and a pain to get at. But if you're into turntables, then you're game for a good dose of annoyance and frustration. Am I right?

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this. Won't be the first time, that's for sure. 

Perth? Never heard of it....  Tongue

If you search on the internet photos of the back of a D120 (like this one: https://www.easylounge.com/Content/photo...1200px.jpg) you can see the ground post on the right side as per Damon's post.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Many thanks all! I had been looked at diagrams and not at photos of the rear of the amp, and so missed the earth connection. Whew!

I do have a follow up question: how to set up for the Supex cartridge? There is no profile available. What setting would you use?

The original data sheet states:

- Tracking force 2.0 gr +/- 0.2
- Output V. (1 Khz) 0.2 V.
- Impedance 2 Ohm (1Khz)
- Load Resistance >20 Ohm
- Compliance (100Hz) 8.5

Regards from Perth

Derek
With only 0.2mv output from the Supex there is a chance you'll hear a bit of noise (hiss, not hum) when not playing or between tracks. If you find that annoying, a SUT (Step Up Transformer) will fix it. A SUT will also present the correct load for your cartridge.
The other solution to this is a new high output MC cartridge (like this for example: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Thumb5-s...#pid104274 ), but if you love the Supex a step up might be even better.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks
I am still waiting for my Expert 120 to arrive - possibly within the next couple of days. As mentioned above, I would like to use a Supex 900 Mk IV cartridge, which has a low 0.2 mV output. It appears likely that this will lead to some hiss via the MC input on the 120.

My question is what output is the lowest for quiet (non-hiss) replay? Behind this question is the choice of either getting a phono amp to drive the Supex (or other) cartridge, or getting another MC cartridge, one with enough output to avoid hiss. I would not wish to go down the latter route until I know what is safe.

For example, the Hana SL has an output of 0.5 m V, while Ortofon Quintet Black is 0.3 mV. The Denon DL103 (EM or R) is 0.25 mV.

Another choice is a high output MC, but that is less attractive.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I debated the same question when I replaced my cartridge recently.  There's no easy answer because one's tolerance of noise is very individual, and of course there is no magic output level at which it suddenly disappears.

If you have a cartridge already why not wait until your 120 arrives, connect it up and see how annoying you find the so-called hiss - it's actually weighted to the bass so it sounds to me more like a rumble.  You can then play around with the phono stage sensitivity in real time using the remote control which might help you to judge at what point the hiss is no longer a problem for you.  For me, it was becoming pretty bearable at 0.5 mV sensitivity and not a worry at anything over 1 mV.

For what it's worth, I opted for a Hana high-output model on the basis that the differences in sound quality between the low- and high-output versions of a given cartridge were probably less significant than the potential for being annoyed by noise (whether or not it was "real" or perceived).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK