Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Reactors and Classic/Silver/Gold - any hiss audible with ear at the tweeter?
Hi all,

All the Devialet speakers specify better than 100dB SINAD (under THD+N 0.001%)...

So technically, there should not be any/much hiss audible with ear at the tweeter (with the speakers ON of course).

Is this true?

For Reactors? For Classic/Silver/Gold?
I have tried Reactors 600, a Premier Classic and Premier Golds — I have never heard hiss from the Golds and Reactors. Very slight hiss from the Classic.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
(21-Jan-2021, 15:02)torikelz4545 Wrote: So technically, there should not be any/much hiss audible with ear at the tweeter (with the speakers ON of course).

Is this true?

With ear touching the tweeter there is hiss from a Gold.
This is how I determine if a speaker is truly off after I have switched it off using the back button.

Imperceptible anywhere else.
Extremely little hiss, even with the ear right against the tweeter. I’ve owned the best Genelecs and Neumanns and Devialet Phantoms have less hiss on an order of magnitude. And the Phantom Golds are as good if not better sonically than even something like Kii and D&D. Devialet made a revolutionary speaker with the Gold. I’m interested to see where they go from here.
(21-Jan-2021, 15:02)torikelz4545 Wrote: Hi all,

All the Devialet speakers specify better than 100dB SINAD (under THD+N 0.001%)...

So technically, there should not be any/much hiss audible with ear at the tweeter (with the speakers ON of course).

Is this true?

It depends on the ADH module in the speaker. If it's ADH-1 you can hear hissing while playing music on low volume. It's audible 4-5 meters away. I've had several Silver Phantom with this problem and a couple with ADH-2 with no problems. There is no audible hissing with my Golds.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(21-Jan-2021, 19:49)ragwo Wrote:
(21-Jan-2021, 15:02)torikelz4545 Wrote: Hi all,

Is this true?

It depends on the ADH module in the speaker. If it's ADH-1 you can hear hissing while playing music on low volume. It's audible 4-5 meters away. I've had several Silver Phantom with this problem and a couple with ADH-2 with no problems. There is no audible hissing with my Golds.
I have never been daring enough to place my ear next to the tweeter as I have experienced the mysterious sudden 100% blast of music.  I have however seen my son do so in order to see if the phantoms were on and after chastising him in light of my experience, I asked him if they were turned on and unless they were playing music, he could not tell. Also, if there is a hiss, I would not be surprised if it originated from the input vice the speakers themselves.
Thanks everyone!

Some varying reports.

Some have heard hiss with Classic, some with Silver.

Some with tiny amount of hiss with Golds (only ear on tweeter), some without any audible hiss with Golds.

Sounds like the newest models are fine from 3meters back? Completely inaudible ?
(22-Jan-2021, 09:40)torikelz4545 Wrote: Thanks everyone!

Some varying reports.

Some with tiny amount of hiss with Golds (only ear on tweeter), some without any audible hiss with Golds.

Sounds like the newest models are fine from 3meters back? Completely inaudible ?
Short answer; yes and yes!

Looong answer:
I have to elaborate a bit more; I can hear a hissing sound when playing music at a very low volume with both the Silver and Gold with ADH-2 if I put my ear against the tweeter. That's not my usual listening position so it's irrelevant to me even when I do intense, scrutinizing listening with my tin foil hat on. At my listening position about three to four meters away there's no audible hiss, so I'm happy. 

If you're allergic to hissing noises please stay away from Phantoms with the ADH-1 circuitry. You will not be pleased when playing quiet music at volume < 35. The hissing noise is audible regardless of source. It's the amplification circuitry making the noise. After stopping playback the noise persisted for a a second or two until the speaker stopped the amplification. There was a software patch back in 2016 or 2017 that reduced the noise while playing music under 15 in volume. It didn't help much as 15 is really quiet and not loud enough for listening to music.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Jan-2021, 11:09)ragwo Wrote:
(22-Jan-2021, 09:40)torikelz4545 Wrote: Thanks everyone!

Some varying reports.

Short answer; yes and yes!

Looong answer:
I have to elaborate a bit more; I can hear a hissing sound when playing music at a very low volume with both the Silver and Gold with ADH-2 if I put my ear against the tweeter. That's not my usual listening position so it's irrelevant to me even when I do intense, scrutinizing listening with my tin foil hat on. At my listening position about three to four meters away there's no audible hiss, so I'm happy. 

If you're allergic to hissing noises please stay away from Phantoms with the ADH-1 circuitry. You will not be pleased when playing quiet music at volume < 35. The hissing noise is audible regardless of source. It's the amplification circuitry making the noise. After stopping playback the noise persisted for a a second or two until the speaker stopped the amplification. There was a software patch back in 2016 or 2017 that reduced the noise while playing music under 15 in volume. It didn't help much as 15 is really quiet and not loud enough for listening to music.

Thanks!

Very valuable feedback.

If there is new hardware coming in February as per rumours, then I assume anything in that new range will have this problem solved, at least compared to ADH-1 anyway.
As far as I can recall after 2016 ADH1 devices were not further produced. All Phantoms including Silver and Classic (previously called White) received ADH2 circuits. Gold Phantoms always only had ADH2 circuit.