Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet Sound Quality
First of all apologize if my English is not right but I hope you understand me.

In various forums and opinions audiophiles claim that the sound of amplifiers Devialet is a little lifeless , lacks soul and emotion. They agree that the sound is very impressive, neutral, clean and dinamic but not excited.

Also the sound image lacks depth compared to other amplifiers.

What do you think about this?
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
IMHO, none of that is true. I think some of these views may be dependent upon equipment and taste.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I am confused by your terminology.  How can an amplifier be dynamic but not excited?  Did you mean engaging?

One answer is some critics may not have heard a Devialet set up properly.  My experience has shown me I can make a 200 sound like two different amplifiers just by changing the balanced digital input cable. With one cable the 200 sounded lifeless.  With a different cable the 200 got my feet tapping.  It was a totally different presentation.  Of course the choice of interconnect is also dependent upon the source. My point here being, wires matter. Sad
Compared to what? And how is the Devialet set up? I have a 200 with dedicated power lines in a treated room, with high end source and speakers. Took me a couple months to tweek the room including listening position for the Devialet set up. Lack of imaging? Lifeless? Mmmm... Not here. Quite the contrary. But everyone has its own taste, ears and experience and judgement on sound is very subjective. What is important is how much I like it. I believe the 200 is certainly one of the best sounding unit I had in my 30 years of audio. But thats just me...
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

Nakatomi, where did u read devialet is lifeless. I would like to know how it was setup. My devialet had lifeless moments with certain cabling or power filtering equipment in the system. Would love to learn what devialet don't play nice with. Am sure all of us here had multiple lifeless moment with our systems (devialet or other brand combo). Many times its how the system component interacts with the room. Some tweaks make improvements while other throws the system off balance. My 2 cents for whatever its worth.
(25-Aug-2015, 00:27)bentrider Wrote: I am confused by your terminology.  How can an amplifier be dynamic but not excited?  Did you mean engaging?

One answer is some critics may not have heard a Devialet set up properly.  My experience has shown me I can make a 200 sound like two different amplifiers just by changing the balanced digital input cable. With one cable the 200 sounded lifeless.  With a different cable the 200 got my feet tapping.  It was a totally different presentation.  Of course the choice of interconnect is also dependent upon the source. My point here being, wires matter. Sad

Possibly engaging is the right word. I do not know how to express in english. It's an emotional thing that makes you smile when listening to music
I have also heard opinions missing harmonics in the sound of certain musical instruments such as the piano but can not explain what they meant well.

Besides owning a Devialet 200, I have a preamplifier Audio Research LS17 SE and a tube power amplifier VTL and I notice appreciably deeper in the soundstage with this system than with the Devialet and would like to improve it. Can you tell me which cable you liked so much?
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
(25-Aug-2015, 02:59)warpeon Wrote: Nakatomi, where did u read devialet is lifeless. I would like to know how it was setup. My devialet had lifeless moments with certain cabling or power filtering equipment in the system. Would love to learn what devialet don't play nice with. Am sure all of us here had multiple lifeless moment with our systems (devialet or other brand combo). Many times its how the system component interacts with the room. Some tweaks make improvements while other throws the system off balance. My 2 cents for whatever its worth.

For example here mentioned about it:  theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?13053-Review-Devialet-D-Premier-v-TRON-Meteor-Voyager-valve-amps
Alicante (Spain)
(25-Aug-2015, 04:18)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(25-Aug-2015, 02:59)warpeon Wrote: Nakatomi, where did u read devialet is lifeless. I would like to know how it was setup. My devialet had lifeless moments with certain cabling or power filtering equipment in the system. Would love to learn what devialet don't play nice with. Am sure all of us here had multiple lifeless moment with our systems (devialet or other brand combo). Many times its how the system component interacts with the room. Some tweaks make improvements while other throws the system off balance. My 2 cents for whatever its worth.

For example here mentioned about it:  theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?13053-Review-Devialet-D-Premier-v-TRON-Meteor-Voyager-valve-amps

The Frank in that story is our very own F1eng. I'm sure he will have something to say about this. Send him a PM if you want.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Aug-2015, 20:39)Nakatomi63 Wrote: First of all apologize if my English is not right but I hope you understand me.

In various forums and opinions audiophiles claim that the sound of amplifiers Devialet is a little lifeless , lacks soul and emotion. They agree that the sound is very impressive, neutral, clean and dinamic but not excited.

May I ask are you using a Devialet now? Or you can considering to buy one?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(25-Aug-2015, 06:06)hk6230 Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 20:39)Nakatomi63 Wrote: First of all apologize if my English is not right but I hope you understand me.

May I ask are you using a Devialet now? Or you can considering to buy one?

I'm listening to my Devialet 200 right now with my Harbeth SHL5 speakers wich i sent to Paris to make SAM profile three months ago. Two weeks ago i sent to Paris my B&W 685 S2 Speakers from my second system for make SAM profile too.
I think Devialet are happy with me in this regard Smile
Alicante (Spain)