Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Devialet air settings
(29-Apr-2016, 07:53)Filips Wrote: ….
Something "tells" me that AIR problems do not correlate (only) with wifi problems.
….

Ain't that the truth!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-Apr-2016, 10:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
Something "tells" me that AIR problems do not correlate (only) with wifi problems.
….

Ain't that the truth!

I think this is quite well known and reported now.  Firstly, many people have issues with AIR using high quality hard wired Ethernet systems.  So AIR gives issues with wifi completely out of the equation.  Also, there have been a number of reports of Devialet personnel advising that there are clock sync issues, particularly with the Windows operating system.  Apparently Windows uses more than one clocking system within it's myriad of processes.  Unfortunately here lies the problem, it does look like the fundamental basis of AIR does not fit with the subtleties of the Windows operating system.  One could be kind to Devialet and view them as a victim of circumstances.  AIR was conceived to provide high quality sound as a priority, however, the approach chosen was probably doomed from the start due to unknown aspects of computer operating systems .  The reason it hasn't been fixed is not that the guys trying to fix it are incompetent, but rather that AIR is unfixable.  I am guessing the solution is to abandon the initial design premise of AIR and start again.  I also think the reason that Devialet refuse to communicate on the issue is a mixture of embarrassment, and the real risk of legal action being taken for selling a product that is not fit for purpose.  (look at VW, how may be required to offer recent car buyers their money back).

For me though, I can't forgive them their total lack of communication on the subject.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(29-Apr-2016, 12:00)Confused Wrote:
(29-Apr-2016, 10:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
….

Ain't that the truth!

I think this is quite well known and reported now.  Firstly, many people have issues with AIR using high quality hard wired Ethernet systems.  So AIR gives issues with wifi completely out of the equation.  Also, there have been a number of reports of Devialet personnel advising that there are clock sync issues, particularly with the Windows operating system.  Apparently Windows uses more than one clocking system within it's myriad of processes.  Unfortunately here lies the problem, it does look like the fundamental basis of AIR does not fit with the subtleties of the Windows operating system.  One could be kind to Devialet and view them as a victim of circumstances.  AIR was conceived to provide high quality sound as a priority, however, the approach chosen was probably doomed from the start due to unknown aspects of computer operating systems .  The reason it hasn't been fixed is not that the guys trying to fix it are incompetent, but rather that AIR is unfixable.  I am guessing the solution is to abandon the initial design premise of AIR and start again.  I also think the reason that Devialet refuse to communicate on the issue is a mixture of embarrassment, and the real risk of legal action being taken for selling a product that is not fit for purpose.  (look at VW, how may be required to offer recent car buyers their money back).

For me though, I can't forgive them their total lack of communication on the subject.

I can't and won't forgive, unless and until the product is fixed, and without further expense at my end.

Whenever I start to feel any sympathy for them, I look across at my multi-room Sonos system, which has worked almost flawlessly for about 8 years across 7 zones using WiFi, and I immediately stop feeling any sympathy, only annoyance. (I could almost accept the AIR problem if it was restricted to Hi Res music, but it is equally liable to fail with Redbook)
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Yup, mine was primarily connected over gig-e (structured cabling) and mostly redbook material. It wasn't reliable at all. I only tried wifi as a desperate (and failed) attempt to get it to work reliably.

Jump ahead to Roon streaming from the same Mac mini to a £35 Raspberry Pi2 over the same network but using RAAT instead of AIR and so far it works flawlessly, even multi-zoned, and note as I write this the Pi version was only released about a week or two ago.

Devialet could have re-written AIR from scratch in a fraction of the time it's remained broken. That would have required a common sense plan and some resources, but clearly they devoted neither to the issue and instead focussed on Phantom/venture capitalism.

It certainly doesn't warrant forgiveness, and if it weren't such a niche market they would likely be in the same position as VW right now.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ironically, at this moment and after almost 5 hour Audirvana via WiFi still works perfectly... Every second I'm expecting proof that I am being too optimistic Big Grin

P.S. Did anyone compare SQ via pure AIR setup (when working flawlessly) with some quality source: Melco or Aurender (via usb, spdif, ethernet or aes/ebu connection)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audience aR-6 TSS / Melco N1ZH / Audio Research CD5 / D400 / Vivid B1D
Synergistic Research Atmosphere / SR Element C.T.S.
(29-Apr-2016, 12:36)Filips Wrote: Ironically, at this moment and after almost 5 hour Audirvana via WiFi still works perfectly... Every second I'm expecting proof that I am being too optimistic Big Grin

In my experience that proof always comes…. thats whats so frustrating about it.

There are definitely comparisons here between AIR and other sources….. can't point you to any specifically but I'm pretty sure I've read one or two Wink

(29-Apr-2016, 12:36)Filips Wrote: Ironically, at this moment and after almost 5 hour Audirvana via WiFi still works perfectly... Every second I'm expecting proof that I am being too optimistic Big Grin

P.S. Did anyone compare SQ via pure AIR setup (when working flawlessly) with some quality source: Melco or Aurender (via usb, spdif, ethernet or aes/ebu connection)?

Actually, there are less AIR vs whatever head to head comparisons posted on here than you might expect.  There are some snippets though, here's one for starters:

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=253

I should be doing my own AIR vs music server head to head before too long, depending on what kit I can prise out of the hands of my ever helpful hifi dealer.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(29-Apr-2016, 12:36)Filips Wrote: P.S. Did anyone compare SQ via pure AIR setup (when working flawlessly) with some quality source: Melco or Aurender (via usb, spdif, ethernet or aes/ebu connection)?

AIR (ethernet) works well for me but sounds a little worse than tweaked USB from a Mac Mini so I'm confident that, in my system, a Melco or Aurender would sound even better. However for the money and convenience AIR wins big time (if it works, which seems very system dependent).
(29-Apr-2016, 12:29)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Yup, mine was primarily connected over gig-e (structured cabling) and mostly redbook material.  It wasn't reliable at all. I only tried wifi as a desperate (and failed) attempt to get it to work reliably.

Jump ahead to Roon streaming from the same Mac mini to a £35 Raspberry Pi2 over the same network but using RAAT instead of AIR and so far it works flawlessly, even multi-zoned, and note as I write this the Pi version was only released about a week or two ago.

Devialet could have re-written AIR from scratch in a fraction of the time it's remained broken.  That would have required a common sense plan and some resources, but clearly they devoted neither to the issue and instead focussed on Phantom/venture capitalism.

It certainly doesn't warrant forgiveness, and if it weren't such a niche market they would likely be in the same position as VW right now.

To quote Roger Waters: "and I am you and what I see is me"  Wink  Wink

You are 100% correct.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Hi experienced devialet guys, i would like to use roon on my mac book pro and use jriver media center19 to play music, is it a solution to override air????